Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 373 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just gonna throw this topic out there even though it's not likely that we know the answer at this point, especially given a new head and intake design of the FoRS 2.3 EB. But at least we can start discussing it.

I own both a FiST and a FoST and there have been documented issues with the PCV system on these direct injection engines causing carbon buildup on the intake valves. Do we know if Ford had addressed the issue or will we be plagued with the same thing? My wife's FiST has 37k miles and I'm just now installing an OCC. I fear it may be too late. I understand oil quality is also directly related to the amount of carbon deposits. I have used Mobil 1 since it was new so we might be okay. The FoST will be sold or traded so I'm not going to spend the money as there's no point since my FoRS is ordered.

Are there the same documented problems with the MEB 2.3?

·
Registered
376 Posts
A turbo engine is going to have significantly more oil passing back into the intake than an NA engine. I'm almost confused as to why catch cans aren't factor items. I'll be adding a mishimoto can the day I get it to attempt to squash the deposits

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
A turbo engine is going to have significantly more oil passing back into the intake than an NA engine. I'm almost confused as to why catch cans aren't factor items. I'll be adding a mishimoto can the day I get it to attempt to squash the deposits
That is a very good question. If OCC's are so useful, work so well, and could be added by the manufacturer for about ten bucks; why aren't they OE?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I'm just gonna throw this topic out there even though it's not likely that we know the answer at this point, especially given a new head and intake design of the FoRS 2.3 EB. But at least we can start discussing it.

I own both a FiST and a FoST and there have been documented issues with the PCV system on these direct injection engines causing carbon buildup on the intake valves. Do we know if Ford had addressed the issue or will we be plagued with the same thing? My wife's FiST has 37k miles and I'm just now installing an OCC. I fear it may be too late. I understand oil quality is also directly related to the amount of carbon deposits. I have used Mobil 1 since it was new so we might be okay. The FoST will be sold or traded so I'm not going to spend the money as there's no point since my FoRS is ordered.

Are there the same documented problems with the MEB 2.3?
my speed3 had pcv issues, and oil would collect in the inlet tube, but the valves looked brand new after 50k miles when I pulled the head.
is blowby on the EB engines that bad? do the heads on EB's run hot?
with all the oil my car consumed, I never saw it effect timing, knock or a reduction in power.
would rather not add a catch can, but if people know that EB performance is effected by misting I guess I better get on board.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Yeah I guess if they were helpful ford would use them. Like burning a little mist of oil and water actually hurts anything

·
Registered
376 Posts
It's all about modifications I guess. The engineers most likely took any PCV return into account. But once you start to tune the car, the octane robbing affect of that little bit of mist is could mean a few HP when you're running on the knife edge of knock or timing.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You guys should search YouTube for "focus Carbon buildup" and check out the first two links. This isn't just minor buildup. This is serious, nasty sh1t! And it's not the power robbing effects of oil mist I'm really worried about.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
You guys should search YouTube for "focus Carbon buildup" and check out the first two links. This isn't just minor buildup. This is serious, nasty sh1t! And it's not the power robbing effects of oil mist I'm really worried about.
Does a OCC (Oil Catch Can) prevent carbon build-up? If not, what is the solution/s ?

I understand this is a significant problem with the Golf-R and on the Golf-R it is extremely expensive to remove the carbon. What is the estimated carbon cleaning/removal process on the RS ?

YMMV,

MidCow3

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
It's all about modifications I guess. The engineers most likely took any PCV return into account. But once you start to tune the car, the octane robbing affect of that little bit of mist is could mean a few HP when you're running on the knife edge of knock or timing.

not a fix all, but has anyone tried running methanol injection to help avoid pre det and to help keep stuff clean? I have a devils own system from a previous car that I was thinking of hooking up with a progressive controller.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I have heard meth/water injection helps wash off the oil deposits and prevents them from burning onto the valves. When does meth/water inject? Is it like NOS where it's only at WOT? If so, unless you're racing it won't be very effective just due to the infrequent use. I maybe go WOT 2-3 times a week for short bursts when passing another car. That's out of about 250 miles per week.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Yes, I have heard meth/water injection helps wash off the oil deposits and prevents them from burning onto the valves. When does meth/water inject? Is it like NOS where it's only at WOT? If so, unless you're racing it won't be very effective just due to the infrequent use. I maybe go WOT 2-3 times a week for short bursts when passing another car. That's out of about 250 miles per week.
the progressive controller i have used has 2 programable limits tied to boost.
it will start spraying at a given level say 10 psi and spray full by the upper limit maybe 18psi
nozzles come in various sizes to determine volume

·
Registered
325 Posts
Really? I go WOT maybe 2-3 times a day in my STI... Why get all the power and AWD and not use it everyday??!?

·
Premium Member
3,273 Posts
Does a OCC (Oil Catch Can) prevent carbon build-up? If not, what is the solution/s ?

I understand this is a significant problem with the Golf-R and on the Golf-R it is extremely expensive to remove the carbon. What is the estimated carbon cleaning/removal process on the RS ?

YMMV,

MidCow3
As far as I know there is no Ford certified method for the RS yet. But I've read that on the other EB engines they replace the head. The fear with spraying cleaners in and running the engine is a chunk of carbon could come loose and impact/damage the turbo. If I see this problem and its out of warranty I'll just buy a head and swap it my self and rebuild/clean the one that was on the car and hold as spare. Would be cool if Cosworth did some polish job on the valves that prevents anything from sticking to them to start with.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Really? I go WOT maybe 2-3 times a day in my STI... Why get all the power and AWD and not use it everyday??!?
Well, my current FoST is traction limited in 1st and 2nd, and 3rd in the rain. No AWD yet, and I respect my gas gauge. :)

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
You "mights be" in the wrong car already :D and for surely an RS would most certainly overwhelm you! The 2015 Prius are on sale right now and are heavily discounted in anticipation of the new 2016 completely new Prius.

YMMV,

Rev her up, petal to the metal, go manual shift >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>....... MidCow3

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
56 Posts
Couldn't agree more. My current fun car is a turbo S2000 and i beat the living snot out of it. I didnt spend more than the car is worth on aftermarket parts to just put around town. I did it to butt hurt V8s and shoot fire out the back! Lol.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Couldn't agree more. My current fun car is a turbo S2000 and i beat the living snot out of it. I didnt spend more than the car is worth in aftermarket parts to just put around town. I did it to butt hurt V8s and shoot fire out the back! Lol.
Lastdoughnut,

I also have a S2000 (not turbo, but still a blast) with Invidia Exhaust, Rick's Voodoo Shift Knob, K &N Air Filter and it is still a blast to drive around, especially between 5,000 and 8,000 RPM WOT.

YMMV,

MidCow3

·
Registered
56 Posts
Awesome MidCow3 ive had mine for 5 years. Just got turbo'd last year so its been interesting. But all my mods for it have to go on hold until the RS gets here as i dont wanna put myself in a bad financial situation with a new car payment coming lol. If you wanna know more about my s2k feel free to PM me and i can share more.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
You could dump the pcv on the ground and still have valve carbon in an ecoboost. Guys on focusst.org have shown carbon with and without an occ. The soot from direct injection will stick to hot valves. Seafoam is not a viable method of cleaning deposits as ford has found this can cause turbo failure, and therefore head replacement is the prescribed fix. As far as i know this isnt a problem for the 2.0l . Quality fuel is a better long term solution than an occ in my opinion

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Maybe you can explain, as I don't understand, how carbon still builds up on valves if a quality OCC is installed. The only thing going in should be air, period. I have seen some of the poor OCC designs and I can see how lots of oil vapor can still get to the intake. There is also a second stage OCC that you can get (Boomba and Damond to name a couple). Stage 1 hooks to the intake manifold/PCV valve hose connection. Stage 2 hooks into the valve cover PCV/above engine induction tube hose connection. (copied from Damond Motorsports) The key here may be to use both stages.

1 - 20 of 373 Posts
About this Discussion
372 Replies
131 Participants
Ankah
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing