Ford Focus RS Forum banner

9th Annual EcoBoost Takeover the Tail of the Dragon Event, who's going?

• I'm unsure given work or other commitments

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'll have to pass

• I'm on the fence

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
Depends if I get one by then. Not holding my breath anymore...

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
@ControlNode

You have yours now..........I know you Autox on weekends but what's your schedule say for the 23-25 of September?
I'll see, but right now it is doubtful. Contract at work just got won by a new company, so I have no leave built up. That and my Cup 2s are almost done and I don't know when I'll be getting my base wheels and PSS tires.
I have baofeng radios...I'm assuming they can be programmed to match the frequency of radios you're referencing. I'll check airbnb this afternoon to see if anything pops up, regarding lodging.
I have a Beofeng GT3. Even if you have an amateur radio license to transmit with that radio using it on FRS/GMRS or MURS frequencies is not legal. I do have mine programmed to RX those frequencies, but I blocked the TX out. I also have mine set to local police like a scanner, again, TX blocked.

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
I've never used the baofengs conus...always abroad in areas where military equipment might stand out. That being said...are the FCC police going to hunt me down if I program it to whatever channel the groups using?
If you want to keep it legal get a set of frs radios. That being said amateur radio is self policed and I doubt anyone will be hunting you down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As Walker stated, unlikely anyone would chase you down over it. I mainly use my GT3 at races where we use FRS/GMRS radios with a subchannel filter set so that I can monitor the channel without the subfilter since they can interfere. I think the GT3 is more sensitive (better antenna) than the FRS/GMRS units we have so I can pick up weaker signals and get everyone to a different channel before it becomes an issue.

I have VIR programmed on mine too, but not TXed there yet as they prefer you use the provided radios.

Reactions: Ecobeast

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
So, I'm getting new tires on the 19s tomorrow. And I'm off next weekend, just have to work to about 9PM on Friday. Wife is not willing to go (to be fair her dad is having surgery that Friday I think), but is telling me to go. Thinking of seeing if my daughter is interested as I don't feel like driving on my own 8+ hours each way on Saturday and Sunday. Other issue would be lodging.

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
So, not sure how gas is mid state, but I was told at station I've been getting gas for the RS at that once they are out of 93 it will be 3 weeks before they expect more since the priority will be 87 and 89. But that 93 will likely be the last to run out. If gas not to normal by Friday I will not be attempting a cross state venture.

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
I appreciate the updates from the locals on the ground when it comes to the fuel situation in and around the Dragon.

Just to be on the safe side I'm bringing a couple of fuel containers in case they're needed.

I'm looking forward to visiting the PURE (No ethanol) 93 fuel pumps down the road and see how well the FoRS reacts to this.

For the time being Dewey appears to respond well to the Shell V-Power Nitro+ 93 octane fuel.
The Pure station near me only has mid-grade in ethanol free, all their other pumps are =<E10. I was running Exxon 93 without issue, but switched to 93 ethanol free from BP in Newport. I'm not a fan of fuel in the car. I'll do it locally for the mower or race gen, but that is about it. If I had a rear hitch and a basket that would be different.

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
I should be there close to lunch time Saturday, staying night in the area and returning to Eastern NC on Sunday.

Reactions: Ecobeast

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
Do we have a FRS channel/sub picked? I plan to be there close to lunch, just depends on how good a time my daughter and I can make in the car.

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
So, finding premium was a *****. 3 exits and 6 gas stations finally got some, glad I didn't wait until I was under 60 miles to empty to get gas. Stopped at Davie county ready area. With gas hunt I will likely be getting there closer to 1

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
Just leaving rest area, showing to the dragon's den at 13:30

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
Where people at? I'm at Fontana village. So far have not run into anyone.

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
I'm about to just park next to this Black Fiesta ST with a blue line on rear bumper diffuser thing near my room, take a picture and call it a meet.

Reactions: Raider615

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
Dewey is real! Saw Dewey just a minute ago.

And is someone collects the killboy pics we can make it look like I was with the group.

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
And gas stations that had premium on way to meet are out now.

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
I thought I knew where to go from what I thought was the schedule. So the other part would be that those there stick to the schedule so the late arrives can go based on time/plan to meet, because changes just don't work with the lack of comms. I had never been before so I had no real input on where to go when. Heck until just over a week ago I was not planning on going as I was still on the stock Cup 2s. Then I was not sure I was going until Thursday due to gas line. I do wish we all had meet up. But, I did meet Dewey and company and had a great time with my daughter there. I'll plan better next year, now that I have All-seasons on the car they should last since I have race wheels too. Hoping to get my wife to go back in Oct/Nov, really need a reason to install the winter wheels.

I got home at 7:00PM

Some Pics.

On the Dragon.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Rim Motor vehicle

It is the start of fall, got a leave behind the grill.
Land vehicle Car Vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

View from side of 28 this morning.
Body of water Nature Water Natural landscape Lake

Blurr's bright side.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Subaru impreza wrx sti

Blurr's dark side.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Race car

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
Planning stage one. Site sponsored Globalstar phone for the person spearheading the event so that they can be reached or reach others when needed day of, or in case of emergency.

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
I'm interested, but not sure its in the budget. Family and I are going late Aug for the Solar Eclipse and I have the AA in Oct. May need a bunk buddy to offset the cost, but first I need to calculate my leave with the current company. I lost (got cashed out on) several weeks and I don't build them up like I use to with the previous company.

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
Question for the locals or anyone who is familiar with the area....besides the places that @Hoonigan suggested, is anyone familiar with the Simple Life Campground.....they have small cabins for rent. Microtel looks cheap and basic....but not a real "Smokey Mountain feel".
Another Fontana Village vote here. Great place and location.

Reactions: ardevas09 and Guaji

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
On the dragon today I saw a stealth gray and a nitrous blue RS. I was in the white topless RHD Jeep. But was parked at scenic spot.

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
Heads up. On the TN side motorcycle cops have been setting up radar at the bottom of some of the curves. They're hard to descern from a couple of bikers pulled over...be watchful.

Ps. GREAT brick oven pizza at Tapoco Lodge, about 10 min south of Deals Gap on Rt 129 (just past dam).
And you ain't out running him.. he was pulling the fast bikes over too. I was out there Saturday afternoon and Monday morning. I was in the white, RHD & doorless Jeep on Saturday with the family and on Monday with my daughter's BF in his Subaru WRX. Saw a Celica GT-Four on Monday, if you like that car should be some pics Monday morning of it.

Total RSs I saw included the SG and NB pair on the dragon and there was a NB RS2 w/base wheels at the Fontana Village that I saw too.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts