Ford Focus RS Forum banner

9th Annual EcoBoost Takeover the Tail of the Dragon Event, who's going?

• I'm unsure given work or other commitments

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'll have to pass

• I'm on the fence

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Truth

·
Registered
985 Posts
Reactions: tbone

·
Registered
985 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
I'll be driving down from Louisville and will be staying at Tapoco Lodge.
That's three confrmations from Louisville! We others are staying at Fontana Village.
:driving::driving::driving:

·
Registered
985 Posts
Woot! Are you on the Facebook group? There's a few of us planning on caravanning down together.
Which group? I'm on "Ford Focus RS Enthusiasts of the USA."

·
Registered
985 Posts
I've got a pair of Cobra CXT425. 22 channels, 121 privacy codes, 6 buttons, 1 knob and 1 antenna.

I don't know jack about radios.

Reactions: tbone

·
Registered
985 Posts
Hello. Just joined group. I plan on being at the Dragon for this event. Not sure if there is a schedule but I plan on being at the T-shirt shack on Friday about 9-9:30 am. If anyone else is planning on being there around that time, please let me know and maybe we can meet up. If there is a planned meet up place for Friday, I would appreciate the information. Looking forward to meeting folks who enjoy driving. Thanks.
Friday morning will be too early for me. I plan to be at Fontana Village in time for dinner Friday night (ref. below).

Still waiting to see how many are expecting to make it out before putting out a fullblown itinerary. Where are you going to be staying? A few of us are out at the Fontana Village Resort so Friday evening we'll most likely be eating at the Grill over head over to the Dragon General Store and Grill.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I'm really tempted to expand my horizons and make my way over to the Devils Triangle on my way out of town on Sunday morning with @lflouie. Curious as to how well the FoRS will handle while loaded with my stuff. This may be also for @dkirby and @mboles2 another rear window sticker opportunity.
I might be convinced to head that way, as long as it's not too late.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I forgot to mention I have a little bit of something to give out to everyone that's able to make it out for the Dragon Run. Guess you'll have to show up to find out what. @dkirby you bringing the items for the Fire Pit Social?
I'm bringing three items for the fire pit social, but nothing that would make an angel envious. Aren't you bringing an item or two, or did you lose control? I'm also hauling some firewood from home in the back of the RS. Wish me luck.

I'm hoping that @dkirby doesn't attempt his firewalk at this year's event.
Dude, I only did that because I was trying to impress your sister.

BTW, is Dana coming with you this weekend? I'm just curious because she hasn't returned my phone calls, or texts. And she won't accept my friend requests. And the present I sent her came back "Return to Sender." And I got a strange letter from her attorney. Then the Cumberland County Sheriff left me a nasty voicemail, probably a misunderstanding. Anyway, tell her I said hello. But not in a creepy way or anything.

Reactions: mboles2

·
Registered
985 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
I'm a local (Knoxville) and would be happy to work with anyone to plan some drives in the area. There are loads of unnamed drives in the area that are worth taking. Devil's Triangle is good (ask @dkirby) and numerous drives within an hour of Fontana Dam. Also for those coming in from different ditections, glad to share some good drives to add to your trip to and from the event. Cheers.
Thanks, @lflouie, for helping us find the Devil's Triangle and @dmart013 for joining in on the run. It was a great addition to the weekend. Holy cow, those switchbacks though. For anyone who hasn't been, The Devil's Triangle is a great run, but it's not commercialized like the Dragon. I didn't see any gift shops or themed lodging. Pulloffs are rare and there are many residential areas that must be passed through respectfully.

My picture contribution (exceeds forum filesize rules);
CherohalaSkyway by dkirby, on Flickr

Reactions: dmart013

·
Registered
985 Posts
Welcome @Homologation.Special I'm the guy with the Stealth Gray RS and an endless supply of bourbon :very_drunk:

·
Registered
985 Posts
added to my calendar

·
Registered
985 Posts
I'm in.

Reactions: ControlNode

·
Registered
985 Posts
I'll be cruising through the Tail Friday about 3pm on my way to my cabin between Tapico and Lake Santeetlah. I'm trying something different instead of staying in Fontana Village this year. There's nothing offiicial going on Friday night, so I'll either be in 1) Deal's Gap, 2) the Wildwood Grill, or 3) chilling in my cabin with a bottle of bourbon. I'll be monitoring channel 2.3 regardless.

Saturday morning at 9am, I will definitely be at the Wildwood Grill for the group meetup. The Hillclimb sounds like fun. I wonder how crowded it will be?

Reactions: ControlNode

·
Registered
985 Posts
Preliminary polling results from Facebook

·
Registered
985 Posts
How do you go about finding a cabin? Are you using airbnb?
@Hoonigan and I are booked through VRBO. We're staying just off of US129 south of the Tapoco Lodge, north of lake Santeetlah.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I'm very likely if the info on my loan is right, showing payoff in Sept, but current balance is only $330 so it should be paid off next week. But, if I get invited to work the Time Trail Nationals in KY event I'll likely be there working that.
The SCCA has cancelled the Solo Nationals :(

·
Registered
985 Posts
Proposed run for Saturday morning, September 26. Total drive time 3 hrs 23 min:

• Meet at Outland Gas & Groceries North of Lake Santeetlah (8185 Tapoco Rd, Robbinsville, NC 28771)
  • Drive up the Dragon Hillclimb to the Maple Springs Observation Deck
  • Drive back down the Hillclimb to Santeetlah Road and hookup with the Cherohala Skyway
  • Take the Skyway west to Tellico Plains, with a scenic stop or two along the way
  • Lunch at Iron Works Grill (1641 Cherohala Skyway, Tellico Plains, TN 37385)
  • Double back east on the Cherohala Skyway with a slight side trip to Bald River Falls
  • Back on the Skyway clear to Robbinsville where it T-stops into US129
  • North on US129 to Killboy for Dragon runs.
Click here for full route details.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts