Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 474 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Trying to get the word out for the 2nd Annual ST takeover at the Tail of the Dragon event on 25-27 September 2015.

Check out the link below from our sister site for more info:

2015 2nd Annual ST Takeover at the Tail of the Dragon

The first run was great, looking to do a bigger run this year.

Here's the current itinerary for the Dragon Run:

22SEP17 is going to be a check-in day for most. A few of us here will be in contact with each other and may meet to eat something at the Wildwood Grill that evening. (Welch Rd, Fontana Dam, NC 28733

23SEP17, 9:00am meet up at the Wildwood Grill, move out at 9:30am for the Cherohalla Skyway Run.

1:00pm stop for lunch and social time at the Dragon's Den and Gill/Pub (17548 Tapoco Rd, Tapoco, NC 28871.) Gift Shop is also across the street.

2:30pm start of the Dragon Run and photo opportunities.

6:00pm dinner at the Tapoco Tavern (14981 Tapoco Rd, Robbinsville, NC 28771)

After dinner Fire Pit Social across from the Wildwood Grill.

24SEP17 10:00am for some it'll be checkout and others time for more runs: Moonshiner, Devils Triangle, and Diamondback routes.

Remember channel 2.3 on handheld two way radios. (Bring extra batteries)

Another note, now it the time for those attending to start Pming each other for contact numbers........do not list contact info directly to the forum.

Finally, this is not an all inclusive itinerary for the events. Things are subject to change but this is the current plan to be used as a reference.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I've always wanted to drive the tail of the dragon. Hopefully once I get my RS!

Have fun and be safe!

Same here. Maybe summer time next year we can all meet up and see what the RS can do on the tail.

·
Super Moderator
15,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I dare Ford to let loose the FoRS during the 2nd Annual Tail of the Dragon Run. (25-27 September 2015) We'll mostly be over in Fontana Village.

There will be so many FoSTs and FiSTs there for the event it'll easily blend in and get some twisty time!

There's quite a bit of Ford persons here in the forum that can make this happen.

(CRICKETS)

·
Super Moderator
15,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I just finished up prepping and packing for the Dragon Run this weekend.

This is going to be the second time I'm perusing Hwy 129 in two years.

This year is going to be different since my daughter will be rolling with me in her TB FiST.

Should be a great time and I'm looking forward to posting photos from the event.

BTW, check out Killboy.com for event photos. Time period should be 25-27 September.

·
Super Moderator
15,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just back from the Dragon Run. My latest modification to the FoST:

fost.JPG

My daughter successfully CONGUERED the Dragon in her FiST:

decal.JPG

Waiting for the Killboy photos from our runs.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
It would be a Vaca for me to get down there again but I would love to. When you do the run do you guys also spread out to surrounding roads or do any loops?

·
Super Moderator
15,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It would be a Vaca for me to get down there again but I would love to. When you do the run do you guys also spread out to surrounding roads or do any loops?
@Crooked Letta

I have to apologize for not seeing this post.

This last meet up we did the Cherohala Parkway loop which was approx. 170 miles.

The actual Dragon is just over 11 miles in length and normally we'll set out in a pack and stop at the bottom to discuss the route.

Then we'll all head back up in teams of two or more to the top.

Another road that most of us were on this year was the road from Fontana Village Resort. That road is just as impressive as the Dragon.

Another note to consider, since you'd be coming down from MA you may consider the Snake.

Here's the website: 421 The Snake - 33 Miles, 489 Curves, 3 Mountains, and 1 Valley

·
Super Moderator
15,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Now for the 3rd running, I'd like to take the FoRS, have the wife drive my FoST, and then have my daughter drive her FiST for the event.

That there would be a true Dragon Run trifecta!

I had two this year for the 2nd Annual Run.

Anyone else interested in bringing their FiST, FoST, or FoRS for the 3rd Annual run?

For planning, look at the 2nd-3rd week of September 2016.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Now for the 3rd running, I'd like to take the FoRS, have the wife drive my FoST, and then have my daughter drive her FiST for the event.

That there would be a true Dragon Run trifecta!

I had two this year for the 2nd Annual Run.

Anyone else interested in bringing their FiST, FoST, or FoRS for the 3rd Annual run?

For planning, look at the 2nd-3rd week of September 2016.
I am interested. This would be my 3rd trip to the Dragon.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Tail of the Dragon

So I'll be picking up my car in Florida and driving up north, and planning on making stops along the way, including the Dragon.

Anyone familiar with the weather around March in/around that area?
If it's good, anyone down for a g2g and/or break in Dragon session?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yeah and there is a thread somewhere on another forum talking about Rs getting together at the gap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
383 Posts
Yeah and there is a thread somewhere on another forum talking about Rs getting together at the gap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Which forum and when?

I'm referring specifically around the March timeframe, whenever actual deliveries are occurring.

I'm from the northeast so I don't get to make it down south often. I'll be making the Dragon stop as I'm driving back north from Florida

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Where in Florida are you picking up the car?

Personally Deals Gap is way overused, overpoliced and overrated. Plenty of great roads in that area, just use your phone to find better roads in there area and skip the **** show that Deals Gap has become.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Totally agree with Dave-ROR. The dragon is crowded and over policed. Try the Cheraholah Skyway [sp?] In the same general area for a much better run. Not as tight, less traffic, better pavement, scenery and not heavily patrolled.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Which forum and when?

I'm referring specifically around the March timeframe, whenever actual deliveries are occurring.

I'm from the northeast so I don't get to make it down south often. I'll be making the Dragon stop as I'm driving back north from Florida
@Focused

The next event for the Tail of The Dragon will be late in September 2016 and it's been run by the members over in the focusst.org and fiestast.org sites.

March may not be a good time to make a run since there's still a chance of snow. Here's the temp averages for the area:

avg_temp.gif

If you're going to still do a run, check the events here: http://tailofthedragon.com/tail-of-the-dragon-info/2015-events/

This will give you an idea of when everyone else is starting to go there, normally the last week of March, and how much traffic to expect from various clubs.

Another option to consider: 421 The Snake - 33 Miles, 489 Curves, 3 Mountains, and 1 Valley

·
Registered
383 Posts
Where in Florida are you picking up the car?

Personally Deals Gap is way overused, overpoliced and overrated. Plenty of great roads in that area, just use your phone to find better roads in there area and skip the **** show that Deals Gap has become.

Clearwater.

Thanks for the heads-up, fellas. Not surprising at all considering the e-attention it gets. Probably make my way there just to take a look see, then hit the surrounding areas for some real fun.
@dgordonmiddy1, thanks! If y'all can suggest more places to stop over anywhere from Florida all the way up to NY, pls feel free to share!

·
Registered
383 Posts
@st2focus, awesome! Thanks for all the info.

@speedprotege, any specific time in April? Hard to gauge when exactly my car will actually be delivered, but I expect it to be around late March through April.

As I'm heading up north from FL, it'd be awesome to get some "just got my RS" meets around that time!

1 - 20 of 474 Posts