Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious on everyone's thoughts...

Here are mine...

I know this thing will handle, no doubt in my mind. 1.0G is my estimate. I expect the RS to stop well too. I'll go out on a limb, and say it will be near the 100FT mark 60-0.

Acceleration, is a bit more tricky...

Car and driver had a Ecoboost stang 6-speed run [email protected] at 3657lbs.

The Focus RS will have 35 more hp, and will guess 200lbs less. I could realistically see a [email protected] stock with an Evo launch.

On the flipside, I have a hard time believing that a larger twin scroll turbo, upgraded internals, larger intercooler, free flowing exhaust and intake, and most likely more boost added only 35hp.

Honestly, I am hoping for 110mph traps stock. After really thinking about it, it seems far fetched. Let's look a C5 corvette, pre 01, they made 345HP, weigh less, and from my actual drag strip experience most trapped about 108ish at best. Pretty hard to expect a heavier car with AWD to out trap that.

So should we really be expecting something on par with the Golf R with the dual clutch? low 13's @ 105 - 106?

·
Registered
222 Posts
We have no idea how the launch control is going to work, so that's a big variable. At the end of the day, the most important variable will still be the driver mod. And being an old school drag racer, I certainly use ET and trap speeds as a comparison between vehicles, but how much area is under the torque curve and how big the smile is on my face taking S-turns is all I care about with this car.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I say Mid 13's but yes the driver is the key difference especially with 3 pedals :). I honestly don't care too much about the stock stings times but more what has been done and how easily it broke into the 12's. I think we may see more of a problem with 1st gear being too short when we start getting the RS over 400whp, but thats what flat foot shifting is for :)

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
High 12's is my guess and hope

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I'm sure we will see it in the 12's

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm guessing it will be in the 12s, just because an STI does like a 13.2 and the Golf R does a 13.1 or something like that. Let's say the over/under is 12.8 @ 107.
I really hope that the usable (corner-to-corner) power is stronger on the RS, because my interest in doing 6000 rpm clutch drops is nil. I'm pretty sure it will be, given roughly equal weight and +45 or so hp.

It would be rad if it's faster than that in a straight line, but the RS will have to dispatch those two (and others) in the corners to prove its worth. Handling performance will determine its success. I can't wait to see someone with skill whip it 'round a track.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Given the STI doing a 13.2 from above I would guess the RS could do a 12.9.

STI doing 0-60 in 4.7, I'll put the RS at 4.6

·
Registered
171 Posts
World's First 11-Second EcoBoost Mustang

EcoBoost Mustang bit 11.81 sec. 1/4 right away. Tune, slicks, seat delete. Stock block, stock turbo.

Just read of another doing 12.05 with just tune and intercooler.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
11.81 is NUTTS!, but he was shedding weight. The seat and factory catback shave maybe 150 lbs. That's impressive for simple mods. If the RS weighs less and makes more power stock then would we see 10's with weight reduction, exhaust, tuning, and slicks to hook up the AWD?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
We have no idea how the launch control is going to work, so that's a big variable. At the end of the day, the most important variable will still be the driver mod. And being an old school drag racer, I certainly use ET and trap speeds as a comparison between vehicles, but how much area is under the torque curve and how big the smile is on my face taking S-turns is all I care about with this car.
You don't think the LC will be pretty similar if not the same as the EBM? But I agree, I'm more focused on the turns with the RS.

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
Remember this car may be able launch as a Posi-locked rear end by locking the clutch packs to both rear wheels. When both clutches are closed the rear are locked into same rotation for no one wheel peel. Lots of other cars have to either apply a brake at the spinning wheel or cut throttle to prevent spinning of one wheel at the rear. I don't know if its programmed to do this, but it could be.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I hate to say it, but I will be immensely disappointed if the RS runs mid 13's @ 102-103.

My SRT-4 was faster than that after a 600 dollar Stage 2 kit from Mopar. That was over 10 years ago!

I know it's not a drag car, but I am buying this car to do it all. :)

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
Honestly I don't see how you could be disappointed... My 2,000lb Civic on 175/70R13 street tires auto-x alignment (lots of camber) with stock B20Z (OEM rated for 146HP/133lbs-ft) butted up to a Y1 LSD trans with an S1 (LS) 5th gear set runs 14.3 @ 92.

At the 1/8 mile I had almost a car on my friend's SRT4, but after I go to 5th at 1/8 he passes me.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Remember this car may be able launch as a Posi-locked rear end by locking the clutch packs to both rear wheels. When both clutches are closed the rear are locked into same rotation for no one wheel peel. Lots of other cars have to either apply a brake at the spinning wheel or cut throttle to prevent spinning of one wheel at the rear. I don't know if its programmed to do this, but it could be.
To this note, does anyone know if there is a full technical brief out on the center and rear diffs? Or just the basics that we've heard a million times?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
To this note, does anyone know if there is a full technical brief out on the center and rear diffs? Or just the basics that we've heard a million times?

It's like the awd system is top secrete stuff till ha own it. Ide like more info as well, but I guess I'll have to take it apart when I get it lol.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
13 Participants
gte
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing