Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Other

Votes: 12 4.3%

• Total voters
401 - 416 of 416 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,307 Posts
Am I the only one using Rotella T6? No, I'm not joking. It's good oil.
I'll be honest, the only time I heard of Rotella was when I was overseas.

It's not a bad thing, I'm just saying I have not heard anyone from the States using it.

·
Registered
586 Posts
The car came with Motocraft 5w-50.
Head gasket changed and they put 0w-50.
In February I will put Castrol Supercar 5w-50.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'll be honest, the only time I heard of Rotella was when I was overseas.

It's not a bad thing, I'm just saying I have not heard anyone from the States using it.
That's strange, but I believe you. I know it's extremely popular here with everything from Subarus, to bikers, to truck drivers. Seems to be highly durable, high temp/turbo-friendly fully synthetic oil. I think most of it's bad rap comes from the Subaru bois using it and (overly) preaching it's usage over the years. :suspicion:

But for the price (not that that's what you should be basing your oil choice on, but nonetheless), I don't think it can be beat.

I had 25,000 solid miles on my '15 WRX, and I'm quickly approaching the same number on my RS. Not a single issue. Can that be attributed to the oil? Probably not. But, it hasn't failed me yet.

·
Registered
399 Posts
After reading a LOT about oil, I realize that the whole topic is a never ending debate mixed with facts and opinions.

That said I have an extended warranty of 6 years or 100,000 miles and will be sticking with the Motorcraft 5W-50.

I just bought my RS and notice it takes quite some time for the oil to reach operating temperature and pressure at the current 40F it's been here lately. I'm concerned about the extreme cold winters (-30) and how well the oil will circulate during those cold start ups! A block heater only does so much, so I'm wondering if I should add a oil pan heater as well. After all, the most wear on an engine occurs at startup.

Anyone here with an RS in upper Northern extreme climates have experience with the Motorcraft 5W-50 and cold start-ups?

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
There are a few thousand of us in Canada/ Minnisota/ Alaska etc. who haven't had any problem with starting with the factory oil. Mine has started fine without using the block heater (I haven't used it yet) in -35°C (close to -40°F). The engine is designed to run 5w-50 in NA and 0w-40 in other markets.

·
Premium Member
2,307 Posts
After reading a LOT about oil, I realize that the whole topic is a never ending debate mixed with facts and opinions.

That said I have an extended warranty of 6 years or 100,000 miles and will be sticking with the Motorcraft 5W-50.

I just bought my RS and notice it takes quite some time for the oil to reach operating temperature and pressure at the current 40F it's been here lately. I'm concerned about the extreme cold winters (-30) and how well the oil will circulate during those cold start ups! A block heater only does so much, so I'm wondering if I should add a oil pan heater as well. After all, the most wear on an engine occurs at startup.

Anyone here with an RS in upper Northern extreme climates have experience with the Motorcraft 5W-50 and cold start-ups?
I did 8ys 100K with a 5k interval. Same boat.

I don't know what I would use after that, but I have used M1 for yrs. But it might be better to stick with OE on this one.

·
Premium Member
2,428 Posts
There are a few thousand of us in Canada/ Minnisota/ Alaska etc. who haven't had any problem with starting with the factory oil. Mine has started fine without using the block heater (I haven't used it yet) in -35°C (close to -40°F). The engine is designed to run 5w-50 in NA and 0w-40 in other markets.
-40 F? Damn son.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I see -40 and colder and I've only used the recommended oil and get it changed at the dealer

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
I use 5w50 Motorcraft or Amsoil 5w50 full synthetic. I let the dealer do the oil changes so they have the records for the warranty. I use a oil pan heater and a trickle charger on the battery. No problems last winter. Because Yellowknife is so small and dusty I will change the oil twice over the winter as the car will do a lot of short trips(extreme duty). Winters in this the part of world are hard on a car.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Unlike me...you all must have stayed awake in chemistry.
i Just had a dealer oil change. They used Motocraft 5W50 synthetic blend. ($64.80 including filter) There comment was, “We won’t sell you anything that will damage your engine”
I drove home, and winterized her until spring. I’m considering eating the $65 and going full syn.
I don’t race, but do “act out” on occasion, it’s an RS after all!
Your thoughts?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Unlike me...you all must have stayed awake in chemistry.
i Just had a dealer oil change. They used Motocraft 5W50 synthetic blend. ($64.80 including filter) There comment was, “We won’t sell you anything that will damage your engine”
I drove home, and winterized her until spring. I’m considering eating the $65 and going full syn.
I don’t race, but do “act out” on occasion, it’s an RS after all!
Your thoughts?
There is no such thing as 5W50 synthetic blend, 5W50 is Full-Synthetic; if the service advisor said "synthetic blend" then he is wrong or the techs actually put in 5W30 synthetic blend....

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
There is no such thing as 5W50 synthetic blend, 5W50 is Full-Synthetic; if the service advisor said "synthetic blend" then he is wrong or the techs actually put in 5W30 synthetic blend....
Thanks. I’m sure the misunderstanding is mine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got a 2016 RS with 20,300 miles and all I had at the time was castrol edge 5W-40. Anyone think next change I should go to 50?

401 - 416 of 416 Posts