Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
At 6000 RPM mind you. I'm curious to see what the entire power band looks like. We expected it to have more lag than the ST but I hope it has more low end grunt than the STI, for example.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks for the graph! That's interesting, a very different torque distribution than the ST; looks like it should still do a decent pull in the midrange but you'll be able to feel the turbo building in a more traditional sense.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Simple mods like intake and full exhaust and tuning will put this thing in the 345-360 whp range on cobbs dyno. I don't think big gains are coming from intake and exhaust being that the factory stuff must flow great to get 345 bhp to begin with. Some improvement is better than nothing tho with intake and exhaust. So add e85 and I'm sure we could be close to that majical 400 whp number. Then as montune releases cams, throttle body and other upgrades we could see 400 whp on pump gas and 450 on e85 on the stock turbo.

·
Registered
7 Posts
PS and Nm and delivery to European customers early 2016. Ummm what are we.... chopped liver. And a hint of a $$ price would be nice. At the big Ford meet in Tulsa last weekend a Ford exec talked it up. I actually hung around to ask him if he'd take my deposit (only half joking) but he was busy with the other bigwigs. And the new GT350 that was there is indeed awesome.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Simple mods like intake and full exhaust and tuning will put this thing in the 345-360 whp range on cobbs dyno. I don't think big gains are coming from intake and exhaust being that the factory stuff must flow great to get 345 bhp to begin with. Some improvement is better than nothing tho with intake and exhaust. So add e85 and I'm sure we could be close to that majical 400 whp number. Then as montune releases cams, throttle body and other upgrades we could see 400 whp on pump gas and 450 on e85 on the stock turbo.

So you think the 2.3 liter will go from 345bhp to 350whp (approx 50hp gain), because of exhaust, intake and tune? (390bhp?)
Cams...? Throttle body..?

At just 380lb-ft, the RS is a 0~60, 4.3s car.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I don't think ford is going to be leaving much on the table with this one. The ST saw such big gains from tuning partly because ford dialed the torque back to make it manageable, that won't be the case with the RS. The factory exhaust and intake look like they're designed to breathe pretty well out of the box as well. Not saying there won't be some room for improvement with bolt-ons, but certainly not as much as there was with the ST. If you want your RS to put down 400 hp it's going to cost you.

·
Registered
315 Posts
There won't be much room for improvement according to inside source over by the Impreza forums. The car will need lots of money poured into it to have good gains vs reliability

·
Registered
79 Posts
I don't think ford is going to be leaving much on the table with this one. The ST saw such big gains from tuning partly because ford dialed the torque back to make it manageable, that won't be the case with the RS. The factory exhaust and intake look like they're designed to breathe pretty well out of the box as well. Not saying there won't be some room for improvement with bolt-ons, but certainly not as much as there was with the ST. If you want your RS to put down 400 hp it's going to cost you.
Clearly the 50 hp is going to come from the tuning side mainly. If what you're saying is even remotely close to being true, then a 2500 dollar turbo swap and another few hundred for tuning will solve all of this. Not really a lot of money in the grand scheme of things.

There won't be much room for improvement according to inside source over by the Impreza forums. The car will need lots of money poured into it to have good gains vs reliability
What does this mean?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I was in the market for the ecoboost mustang. So i followed the guys on the ecoboost forums-those guys are pumping out huge gains that are reliable. Go check those forums out. Guys with tunes and exhaust are pushing 370hp 400trq. Of course, it starts to drop significantly after 5500RPM.

Ford has also announced that it will support its ecoboost line of performance cars with factory backed tunes and upgrades. They have yet to release a mustang 2.3 upgrade or tune. Maybe Monotune?

I bet the 2.3RS motor will have some left on the table.

Again, im hopeful and bias. lol

·
Registered
29 Posts
junkyard08 is correct.

There is a Ford reliability tester sharing information on the NASOIC forum in a 161 page thread about the Focus RS. This quote sums it up:

Originally Posted by Scooby921: "Why do you guys take my comments about the AWD system being stressed to 100% of its design capacity and apply that to the engine?"

Here's the link to the thread: 2016 Ford Focus RS - NASIOC

I won't bother chasing HP gains with the Focus RS if the extra power is just going to result in failure of other driveline components. If you can't have a blast with 345 HP, you're doing it wrong. Spend that money on more track days and tires. =)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts