1 - 20 of 474 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
harris-schmitz.jpg

by Brandon Turkus, 23 December 2015

F1 Ace David Coulthard Also Rumored To Join Show

Clarkson, Hammond, and May – meet your competition. New Top Gear host Chris Evans named his co-hosts, and if anything we're even more excited for the return of the world's biggest car show.

According to the Telegraph, Sabine Schmitz, the Queen of the Nürburgring, will join former radio host Evans as Top Gear's first female co-host. Unlike TG's previous tenants, Schmitz is a trained racer and a fixture at the 24 Hours of Nürburgring. She's also (probably) completed more laps of the world's most intimidating racetrack than any other person alive. But most importantly, she was a regular guest on old TG. Whether it was mentoring Clarkson around the Ring or competing against the team in a series of motoring-related challenges, Top Gear fans will be familiar with the affable German.

Former Drive host Chris Harris will join Schmitz and Evans. Autoblog readers will be intimately familiar with the Brit, who we're betting will take over Clarkson's roll as lord of the drift. Unlike his co-hosts, Harris has been a career auto journalist, writing for Evo, Autocar, and Jalopnik. Among the reported co-hosts, it's Harris that most obviously embodies the characteristics of TG's golden age.

A three-man show might not be in the cards, though. While the Telegraph is pointing to Schmitz, Harris, and Evans, the tabloid the Sun is reporting that former Formula One driver David Coulthard will turn the new TG into a quartet. Despite what sounds like a strong lineup, an insider at TG didn't sound very confident, telling the Sun, "Sabine and Chris are virtually unknown to the wider public and David isn't the most charismatic driver."

On the other hand, had anyone really heard of Clarkson, Hammond, and May before Top Gear exploded in popularity?

Sabine Schmitz, Chris Harris to join Chris Evans on new Top Gear

·
Super Moderator
15,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Super Moderator
15,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I hope the new crew spends more time on great automobiles and less time finding new ways to destroy "caravans" or wreck London Taxis. The show became more like "Jackass 3" than a place to get great information on cars. It spite of that, I still watched it. I mean, they loved the Focus, so they can't be all bad.

·
Super Moderator
15,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Sabine Schmitz, Chris Harris to join Chris Evans on new Top Gear

It would appear that Top Gear is re-assembling the car enthusiasts to make a second run of the show.

The Fifth Gear crew would've been a great alternative to blow some life back into the franchise but I'm annoyed that this is what Top Gear is currently saying:

Top Gear

·
Super Moderator
15,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
441 Posts
Sabine is awesome, but I find Chris Harris to be really annoying. I've never managed to watch his youtube videos all the way through, he just won't shut up and let me admire the car a moment.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Sabine is awesome, but I find Chris Harris to be really annoying. I've never managed to watch his youtube videos all the way through, he just won't shut up and let me admire the car a moment.
I hear you, except, after I got over his eagerspeak manicmonkey delivery I realised 1) He can drive 2) relate the sensation 3) tells it like he sees it 4) nothing is sacrosanct freeing him to poke astute criticism & fun at himself and most everything else, including and perhaps especially, Ferrari, and 5) built his Kermit 911 before, as far as I'm aware, creative genius Rob D!ckenson immerged with his exquisite Singer Vehicle Design de-light.

I'm a 'proper' admirer of his work. Jealous as all the green eyed monsters imagined throughout history as a failed budding automotive journalist rally driver...

·
Registered
263 Posts
I will watch.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I think I'd watch the new iteration of Top Gear with the new hosts. But I'm definitely going to watch the new show Clarkson, Hammond and May create on Amazon. I've been rewatching a bunch of the Top Gear series with that trio lately, and it's still just as good as it ever was because of their chemistry as people who genuinely enjoy the company of each other and truly love cars more than anything else in the world. I wonder if the new group will be able to come close to that, and I worry that it might not, seeing how I never really enjoyed Top Gear USA because the three hosts never seemed to gel as people and that came out in the episodes. (Tanner Foust is a helluva driver, but a deeply annoying person)

·
Super Moderator
15,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Super Moderator
15,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm not sure about Matt Le Blanc on this one. I was just watching top gear "races" and he was the host. I wasn't really feeling it. He is a pretty funny guy though.

·
Super Moderator
15,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm not sure about Matt Le Blanc on this one. I was just watching top gear "races" and he was the host. I wasn't really feeling it. He is a pretty funny guy though.
I finished watching the Races episode a couple of days back and it was OK but strange to see the former cast bits still.

To Matt's defense, he did have the fastest lap on the Top Gear track at 1m 42.1s in the Kia cee’d.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Personally I like the original. Anything you do to try and recreate that will just be stupid. Better to cut your losses and not even try and make a new show. And of course now they are going to add Matt LeBlanc as a presenter....:uncomfortableness:

1 - 20 of 474 Posts