Ford Focus RS Forum banner
4821 - 4840 of 4854 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,464 Posts
So since installing my GT wing I’ve noticed the rear of the car is significantly dirtier than it used to be after driving in a bit of rain. Been looking at a bunch of CFD models but found two little vids that I made gifs of. One has no airflow underneath and one does

View attachment 345449

View attachment 345450
With a bigger wing, would a bigger diffuser help flow?

·
Administrator
16,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,822 ·
No idea who this guy is or if he’s on our forum, but he should check out our “lifting the RS” page

I’ll just say, that poor car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
No idea who this guy is or if he’s on our forum, but he should check out our “lifting the RS” page
Wow...that was painful to watch. I thought my local rally cross course was rough, but boy that was another level. Yes, I love rally and I can't help but admire the "full send" attitude, but there's also a degree of "mechanical sympathy" that needs to go into the sport.

"In order to finish first, first you must finish" or so the saying goes...

So since installing my GT wing I’ve noticed the rear of the car is significantly dirtier than it used to be after driving in a bit of rain. Been looking at a bunch of CFD models but found two little vids that I made gifs of. One has no airflow underneath and one does
My guess is that your addition of the larger wing increased the size (and probably velocity) of the turbulent recirculation zone present right behind the hatch. Hence more $hit flying around back there and sticking to your rear window. Have a look at a typical rear with the common "extended wing"/eco wing vs one with a high AoA

Did you happen to notice if your rear window was less dirty with the regular focus SE rear "wing" compared to the RS wing?

Also, if you're a fan of rally aero, check out WRCWings lots of fun stuff there!

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
@GmpaJimj i am semi-ignorant to the black art that is aero. I will be doing a diffuser setup once I have a little more money to play with when winter comes around.

@BigFatFlip I’ve been trying to find more sources for hatchback aero but a bit lacking. Thanks for the WRC link! And the whole time I had the gt wing off it was dry, so I didn’t really notice it (I don’t wash my car much unless it’s disgusting)

·
Registered
3,273 Posts

View attachment 345449

View attachment 345450
I've used that website before. My TransAm is so much cleaner.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Also had the RS at GLD. 3435lbs w/o me. (ignore that i wrote 3430 on the slip lol)

13.39 @ 104.9. I'm not mad for a bone stock car.

·
Premium Member
7,105 Posts
The license plate on the black RS, Is not as bad as a blocking plate.... but still.

Over-all great pics!

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
The fall has come home now. Gotta get ready for 90 days straight of rain

Decided to try to see if I could capture the rooster tail/spray from my wing on gopro. Unfortunately doesn’t really come out very clear (white mist on grey cloud background). As per my friends they say “about 20 feet behind the car, it’s about 20 feet up”.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Me vs a Mustang GT350. Outcome is as expected.

·
Administrator
16,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,833 ·
Me vs a Mustang GT350. Outcome is as expected.

Wait, the Mustang didn’t crash into a band of spectators while peeling out?

Reactions: nicklulu and Si2RS

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Wait, the Mustang didn’t crash into a band of spectators while peeling out?

No, but we did have a Mustang get squirrelly during a burnout and drift towards the tree and the announcer said,

“Hey Mustang, that’s a tree not a person”

And early on when a STI rolled up he asked the driver if he JB Welded his head gaskets.

:eek::LOL::ROFLMAO:

After hearing that I was expecting a comment from him about the RS.

4821 - 4840 of 4854 Posts