Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
q0anp751a3nlzkgvijla.jpg

Imagine a Ford Focus RS and its EcoBoost turbo 2.3-liter inline-four, and then tear away the rest of the car and pop the motor in a super lightweight racing convertible that’s barely street legal in Europe.

That’s the Dallara Stradale, the first street-legal, asterisk asterisk, car from Dallara, the company that’s most notable for manufacturing racing chassis for a bunch of racing series.

Well, they wanted to make a track day toy that could be driven on the street between the house and circuit, so they built the Stradale–a 155,000 Euro (roughly $177,525), 400 horsepower, 1,885 lb convertible that doesn’t have a roof nor any dang doors, you just hop in the sucker.

And that’s just what Jack Rix did–the Top Gear web presenter who borrowed my iPhone earphone converter jack at the New York Auto Show and never returned it. Check it out:

As pointed out in the video, the Dallara Stradale can be had in a dual-clutch that’s awkward at lower speeds but ace at high speeds, or a manual, which is for those that aren’t practicing for their Formula 3 team all the time. The turbo Ford engine sort of spoils the experience a bit, with some whistling and a less-than-stellar exhaust note.

Considering the super light weight and small engine, the Stradale is still a lot of car, the type of thing only a racing driver could get a full appreciation for. Sounds exclusive, if just a little silly.

https://jalopnik.com/the-dallara-stradale-is-what-a-racing-shop-does-with-a-1830549155

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Is it me or does that car sound really boring? The audio in the that video isn't that great, but from all the interior shots and drive-bys, the car sounded really tame and muted. I'm sure driving the car is plenty exciting, but I can't help but think Dalara should have kept the "pops n burbles"

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it me or does that car sound really boring? The audio in the that video isn't that great, but from all the interior shots and drive-bys, the car sounded really tame and muted. I'm sure driving the car is plenty exciting, but I can't help but think Dalara should have kept the "pops n burbles"
I have to agree. It's really awesome until you realize the rest of the drive train is missing and one could buy a lambo or Porsche instead.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I kinda like it, but it's Way over priced. Rather keep my RS and buy a used Radical for track days and still have money left over.

·
Registered
441 Posts
That price is outrageous! I'd be happy with an Ariel Atom 3 (which also costs too much IMO).

Honestly I'm not sure why companies are using the RS engines in their track toys as much as they are... It has an uninspiring power delivery and kind of flat exhaust/intake sounds. To me it's the weakest thing about the RS, interior included.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts