Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1761 - 1780 of 2706 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Please post up, after a bunch of friends in DC region went down there and told me how much fun it was I'm definitely interested.

Haha, only a little jealous of your proximity to Lincoln. I'm ~22 hours :(

We have autoX every weekend in Tampa area, year round. So much that you have to skip allot of events just to not blow through sets of tires. Can’t wait for the back to back FtMyers match/pro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I still think I'm very fortunate to live 5 minutes from below site. One of the best sites in Eastern NC, I've seen a couple guys, one from PA and one from FL plan on coming here to settle a bench racing dispute. As always, if you all want to come I encourage the Oct event, this year the tentative dates are Oct 20-21. Once the date is set I'll create an event.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.9142404,-76.8821865,741m/data=!3m1!1e3
I'm in the Raleigh area and have yet to go to Cherry Point, but have heard so much about it. I've just been doing all the events with THSCC the past 2 years. I will try to make at least one out there next year!

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
popping in - have you guys all written your letters for the DS shakeup?
Not yet, still thinking on it. I'm not sure that is a fair move for others to put the RS in DS. But with the impact of that not until 2019 season I'm thinking I have time to reply to that.

I saw that for 2018 the CTR is DS[joking] and in other news Honda becomes an unofficial sponsor of SCCA[/joking].

Another thing I saw in rules was the Chevy Bolt is HS... I'm really want to see that car run for some reason. I've been thinking about buying one for my pizza delivery job and just selling my old Hondas.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Not yet, still thinking on it. I'm not sure that is a fair move for others to put the RS in DS. But with the impact of that not until 2019 season I'm thinking I have time to reply to that.

I saw that for 2018 the CTR is DS[joking] and in other news Honda becomes an unofficial sponsor of SCCA[/joking].

Another thing I saw in rules was the Chevy Bolt is HS... I'm really want to see that car run for some reason. I've been thinking about buying one for my pizza delivery job and just selling my old Hondas.
re: fair - if the type R is already in there.. it's going to be an uphill battle for the RS or any of the other boost buggies. I've seen one competitively driven - the R is undeniably good. my evo wouldn't be able to take it down. my only question would be how it performs with modifications. cars these days come so stiff from the factory, i really wonder how much added gain there would be from stuff like coilovers, etc (thinking of ST* classes here) - i'm sure it would gain a good amount of power from a tune though

·
Registered
227 Posts
I used to live in Upstate NY prior to moving to CO. The season was short and the courses even shorter. It does appear that the Philly area is a great place to live if you're an autocrosser. One of our top guys just moved out there, Robert Thorne (3x National Champ I think). I think my PAX improved by 10 points once he crossed the CO border. Here in Denver, we really can't complain. Our two sites for SCCA events are decent, we also have a new Time Attack series at PPIR which is higher speed and super smooth and maybe a 3rd site that will be available this year. We also have a very active BMW club that runs at the same venues. There is an autocross somewhere close by almost every weekend from April until October and then usually a winter event every month during the winter. It would be tough to move away.
I do know Robert, albeit lightly. At the last event of the season in Atlantic City he gave me a ride in the Big Bad Wolfe S2000 and that thing is...beyond words. Super nice guy, really fun being able to meet him.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I do know Robert, albeit lightly. At the last event of the season in Atlantic City he gave me a ride in the Big Bad Wolfe S2000 and that thing is...beyond words. Super nice guy, really fun being able to meet him.
The engineering that went into that car is crazy. As I recall, before he left CO he took it to Bandimere (5300' elev) and ran a mid 10 sec 1/4 mile on his first pass. That's a stock bottom end S2000. One his 2nd pass it grenaded an axle. Between Robert, Chris Mayfield and Chris Dorsey, it was tough sledding in CO to ever take top PAX at a local event.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The engineering that went into that car is crazy. As I recall, before he left CO he took it to Bandimere (5300' elev) and ran a mid 10 sec 1/4 mile on his first pass. That's a stock bottom end S2000. One his 2nd pass it grenaded an axle. Between Robert, Chris Mayfield and Chris Dorsey, it was tough sledding in CO to ever take top PAX at a local event.
I can imagine. Its great to have such stiff competition but does make it hard to win an event. I have yet to get close. Do you think you'll be in BS in 2019?

·
Registered
159 Posts
popping in - have you guys all written your letters for the DS shakeup?
We are supposed to write and ask the RS to get moved down and I assume all the stis and evos should follow? We want the LE to stay BS is that right?

How realistic is the chance of this happening. I thought 2018 was a done deal but 2019?

·
Registered
347 Posts
We are supposed to write and ask the RS to get moved down and I assume all the stis and evos should follow? We want the LE to stay BS is that right?

How realistic is the chance of this happening. I thought 2018 was a done deal but 2019?
do you mean, mechanically, how? if so, it's via this link: https://www.crbscca.com/

yea it's not just for the RS, but all the boost buggies - RS, all STIs and Evos, the audi TTS, etc. i think one can attempt to make an argument to keep the LE in BS, but at the same time, the evos have gone through a lot of changes but are all in the same class - which makes the early evos obsolete, too. the difference between the cars isn't as great as, for example, the CR vs the regular S2k. From what I've come to understand, if it makes it to member comment in fastrack, it is a done deal unless many people post many compelling reasons against it. But with the Type R getting classed into DS, it seems like this is the plan they expect to go to. If the new Type R is in DS, the rest of boost buggies better get moved there too. There's no way a stock evo 9, for example, with the stock class rules, can beat the new Type R. It also pushes the BRZs and FRS's out of DS and into their spec twin class, which i assume they receive kickbacks from Koni and whoever else to sell the products. i'm not crazy about the direction the SCCA has taken in the last few years...

·
Registered
222 Posts
I can imagine. Its great to have such stiff competition but does make it hard to win an event. I have yet to get close. Do you think you'll be in BS in 2019?
I'm hoping we'll be in DS for 2019, but I do plan to remain in Street class this year and next. Once my powertrain warranty expires I may consider going to STU. Just turned over 20k miles.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm hoping we'll be in DS for 2019, but I do plan to remain in Street class this year and next. Once my powertrain warranty expires I may consider going to STU. Just turned over 20k miles.
I have the exact same plan but Stu doesn’t really appeal to me because of power restrictions and I don’t want to go to asp because I don’t want to do to the car what it’s going to take for it to be competitive. Bolt on street/fun build then race the wife’s Miata I think.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have the exact same plan but Stu doesn’t really appeal to me because of power restrictions and I don’t want to go to asp because I don’t want to do to the car what it’s going to take for it to be competitive. Bolt on street/fun build then race the wife’s Miata I think.
I think for 2018 aren't the rules now allowing open boost in ST classes? Unfortunately you'd also be restricted to 93 octane fuel though...

·
Registered
222 Posts
That shouldn’t be a big deal because where I live I’m restricted to 91. With boost allowed is the scca prepared to test cars for ethanol?
One would hope that they have some testing method in place, but keep in mind that someone would need to lodge a protest before any testing will occur. My point being, they won't just randomly test.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Ethanol testing is easy, they can do that with minimal issues. Octane testing means sending fuel to a lab and hoping your 93 octane fuel is actually legal. The rule allows up to 93.9 octane, but if you look at the pump it says 93 MINIMUM so you could be getting 95 octane or something.

My plan for nationals this year (in whatever I drive) will be mixing 91 & 95 in Lincoln or carrying a few jugs of 93 from here. Finding a station that sells 93 in Lincoln is a pain, but there are supposedly at least two.

FWIW the way the fuel rules were was apparently being used heavily even in street classes. All of the V8 cars in AS & BS benefited greatly from 100 octane. I know my GT350 is good for ~15+ HP over 91-93 octane and the Vettes were similar. That's a pretty significant difference.

·
Registered
347 Posts
FWIW:

Street
#22209 Class 2018 Focus RS in A Street
Thank you for your input. The SAC believes that the changes to the 2018 Focus RS do
not warrant a separate classing from the 2017 models.

1761 - 1780 of 2706 Posts
About this Discussion
2.7K Replies
189 Participants
DocWalt
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing