Ford Focus RS Forum banner

3001 - 3020 of 3062 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
didnt know the 265 would fit. good to know. did the installer have a hard time installing it or you got the whole package from tirerack?

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
E3DBE448-20C8-4F8B-9F6F-2AC8F5C3E739.jpeg

Found this one, and others, packed away in a closet the other day. Wife was “sorting” and asked if I wanted to get rid of them all. Are you kidding ?????

·
Registered
2017 Focus RS Black, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon White, 1992 300ZX Blue, 1953 Dodge Wayfarer Blue
3 Posts
Who plans to autocross their RS?
any bets on what class it will end up in? I hope it falls into BS for competition sake, but due to the limited availability of it, I wont be surprised if it gets buried in AS. Either way I plan to run it locally at Ft Devens and try to make a few national events. I realize its a ways off before this car will be driven in anger, but its never to soon to dream about it.

currently I like to dream about the tail getting a bit loose mid corner from a slightly hot entry and then instead of giving it up I get back down on the gas and power past the apex and exit the corner under nearly full boost.
the best part about this dream is that soon it will be a reality.
I ran in Philadelphia Region SSCA in 2018 and I was Street B. The had a master list, I will look for it. Because of that and tract days I just put the 11th tire on car at 16,500 miles. I got flagged after passing tech and the morning session because the tire went so fast. Micheal Stillwagon at Skip Barber tells the RS is notoriously hard on the right front tire.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Any tips from those that have successfully autocrossed their RS in the rain? I've been blessed these last few years to only have a few sprinkles that ended up clearing up once or twice. My last event of the year is this Sunday, and the forecast is currently 70% chance. My RE-71R tires have maybe 2-3 events left before I replace them.

Guess my line of questioning was regarding if keeping ESC on would have any benefit? I've always ran in track mode with ESC off. Rain is now 100% chance.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Any tips from those that have successfully autocrossed their RS in the rain? I've been blessed these last few years to only have a few sprinkles that ended up clearing up once or twice. My last event of the year is this Sunday, and the forecast is currently 70% chance. My RE-71R tires have maybe 2-3 events left before I replace them.

Guess my line of questioning was regarding if keeping ESC on would have any benefit? I've always ran in track mode with ESC off. Rain is now 100% chance.
The key w rain is just to make the distance as short as possible. You want to be predicting slip constantly probing for grip.

I go full off, but I’m used to driving in snow and we get a lot of rain events here.

If you’re not used to rain, try track mode w ESC on for the first run. If you don’t notice it too much, leave it on for the rest of the day

·
Registered
415 Posts

I never changed My ESC plan (always off) but soften things you can soften. If it’s standing water , and you have full tread real tires, I would run those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,543 Posts
I still run ESC off, some times I'll go from Track to Sport for rain. But I just go and feel for the grip. Even in a downpour with some standing water my old Civic on 225/45/13 Hoosiers would still tripod. I didn't run the 255s on the front in the rain. But I think your surface will have an impact, most of my local events are on a paved runway that is sloped just enough that standing water was never too deep.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Thanks for the wet weather feedback folks. The forecast was wrong (again), and very little rain actually fell the day of the event. There was a water hazard that we moved the course to avoid. However, a Miata driver cooked the end of a slalom and went right through the water causing all of us to track through a bit of water in the next element on all laps afterwards. I ended up 2nd out of 42 drivers with RAW time (0.398 seconds behind FTD). My RE-71R tires now have 88 runs on them. I might can squeeze a few more events out of them.

Reactions: RedBaron80

·
Registered
2017 SG RS1
1,169 Posts
I'm planning on picking up a set of 255/35 RE-71R's for the next autocross event as well. The PS4S did pretty well for a street tire, but everybody and their moms were running tw200 tires...

Reactions: Slurve and nicklulu
3001 - 3020 of 3062 Posts