Ford Focus RS Forum banner

2861 - 2880 of 2887 Posts

·
Registered
2016 NB RS
9 Posts
It is. With covid happening, the convention parking lot is available.

This was last Sunday...

Ended first in class and 3rd overall FTD with 130 competitors.
Wicked im moving back to the city next year, hoping to get out for a few events. I was checking their site looks like you're stock plus. I think I would find myself in the mod class.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Wicked im moving back to the city next year, hoping to get out for a few events. I was checking their site looks like you're stock plus. I think I would find myself in the mod class.
Nice. They will probably back at Mohawk Raceway next year. My car is stock except rims and tires.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I need some help with intake air temperature heat management during autox. My local clubs typically break our (6) runs into (2) heats of (3) runs each. So a heat might take 1 hour total to get through half of the field not working (about 25-30 cars). I always leave my RS running with the A/C on and the hood up in the pits of a running heat. For the first heat I always take it off the trailer and get it out on the nearest road to the venue so that the oil and transmission temps get to operating. No temp gauge on the transmission, but as long as the oil temp is to the first tick and I've shifted through the gears a few times to thin out the fluid.

At the last (2) autoxes I tried something different. First autox I had the stock RS airbox lid. Open to the elements, sucking in hot air with the hood up. Hottest temp in the pits after a run and waiting for the next = 147F. Before the last autox I purchased a Focus ST closed airbox lid, and I installed it. The hottest temp in the pits was 143F. For both airbox lids my process JUST before the next run would be to take a short drive and lower the intake air temps from 140F to 108-113F. Stop, spray the intercooler down with my water tire spray bottle, pull up to the line and go.

My next possible endeavor is to purchase a Velossatech big mouth. I can't find any data from sitting at idle or anything else regarding RS temperature on the Velossatech website. They posted data for the ZL1 intake, but not for the RS. Lastly, my outside air temp (OAT) sensor under the passenger mirror wasn't working correctly all day. My instrument cluster only showed 88F. I read a few tidbits online that I needed to drive for 90 seconds above 20mph or something like that.

Your mileage may vary, but it's mid to high 90s in temperature with 80% humidity. I don't remember the threshold, but Tune+ said that power gets pulled back as IAT increases. Probably timing to protect the engine. My AccessPort shows a max of 390-400+ HP and TQ and 26 psig of boost if I keep my IAT below 130F before a run. I don't remember feeling any timing being pulled during a run, but I haven't ran any IATs above say 130F before a run.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I need some help with intake air temperature heat management during autox. My local clubs typically break our (6) runs into (2) heats of (3) runs each. So a heat might take 1 hour total to get through half of the field not working (about 25-30 cars). I always leave my RS running with the A/C on and the hood up in the pits of a running heat. For the first heat I always take it off the trailer and get it out on the nearest road to the venue so that the oil and transmission temps get to operating. No temp gauge on the transmission, but as long as the oil temp is to the first tick and I've shifted through the gears a few times to thin out the fluid.

At the last (2) autoxes I tried something different. First autox I had the stock RS airbox lid. Open to the elements, sucking in hot air with the hood up. Hottest temp in the pits after a run and waiting for the next = 147F. Before the last autox I purchased a Focus ST closed airbox lid, and I installed it. The hottest temp in the pits was 143F. For both airbox lids my process JUST before the next run would be to take a short drive and lower the intake air temps from 140F to 108-113F. Stop, spray the intercooler down with my water tire spray bottle, pull up to the line and go.

My next possible endeavor is to purchase a Velossatech big mouth. I can't find any data from sitting at idle or anything else regarding RS temperature on the Velossatech website. They posted data for the ZL1 intake, but not for the RS. Lastly, my outside air temp (OAT) sensor under the passenger mirror wasn't working correctly all day. My instrument cluster only showed 88F. I read a few tidbits online that I needed to drive for 90 seconds above 20mph or something like that.

Your mileage may vary, but it's mid to high 90s in temperature with 80% humidity. I don't remember the threshold, but Tune+ said that power gets pulled back as IAT increases. Probably timing to protect the engine. My AccessPort shows a max of 390-400+ HP and TQ and 26 psig of boost if I keep my IAT below 115F before a run. I don't remember feeling any timing being pulled during a run, but I haven't ran any IATs above say 120F before a run.
Turn the car off, open hood(in between runs). (I’ve got about 700 autoX runs without any drive mod issues or heat warnings )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Turn the car off, open hood(in between runs). (I’ve got about 700 autoX runs without any drive mod issues or heat warnings )
I appreciate that feedback. Do you datalog any engine parameters while autoxing?

Just looking for any IAT advantage I can to stay ahead of that 650HP ZL1 Camaro that's on my tail at each event. I'm at the point in my full bolt-ons that the next step is open the engine (cams, turbo/block/etc). I wish I could easily mix my own E30.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I appreciate that feedback. Do you datalog any engine parameters while autoxing?

Just looking for any IAT advantage I can to stay ahead of that 650HP ZL1 Camaro that's on my tail at each event. I'm at the point in my full bolt-ons that the next step is open the engine (cams, turbo/block/etc). I wish I could easily mix my own E30.
Your a SM car... it’s A7 time my friend.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Your a SM car... it’s A7 time my friend.
I did that. Ran a set of 275/35/18 A7 tires from 09/2018 to 04/2019. Only got 64 runs before cording them all out. 4 out of 9 races were FTD though.

Reactions: RedBaron80

·
Registered
355 Posts
I did that. Ran a set of 275/35/18 A7 tires from 09/2018 to 04/2019. Only got 64 runs before cording them all out. 4 out of 9 races were FTD though.
That’s a bargain. I corded a Yoko 052 in 31 runs. (Co driver was an over driver )

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Hanks RS Autox 07/19/20 Results

Took 4th overall RAW behind (2) Karts and a Piper FF open wheel racer on 07/19/20 in Lake Charles, LA with Sowela SCCA. Alone in SM. Still fastest vehicle with a registration. Took #3 in PAX. I think that's my highest position ever in that crap index. Bumpy parking lot with asphalt in poor condition. Check out the bumps at the finish! I forgot my Cobb Accessport, so no telemetry overlays with boost/throttle on this one. :(

No clue why my GoPro Hero 5 Black has had issues with GPS syncing for the last (5) events. Nothing has changed with the camera.

Reactions: BlakeS

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Cross posting here (outside of my build thread and FORScan thread) to reach more folks:

My FORScan Settings. More information here.

Notes:
  • First, backed up all of the factory As-Builts and Central Configuration File.
  • Changes I made so far:
    • Bambi Mod = Fog Lights remain on with high beams. To spot deer and other wildlife when night driving (not to blind oncoming drivers).
    • TPMS disable = I have a dedicated set of Enkei wheels & RE-71R tires without TPMS sensors. My OE wheels/tires are in the garage. No more TPMS light!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Anyone in here autocross near North/South Carolina? I used to run my ST in the Detroit area 100 years ago, but looks like not a lot of events where I'm at now. I was never very good at it, but I really want to get my RS out on the track now that I've seen all the videos in here.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Another event held at Exhibition Place in Toronto Ontario. It's right next to part of the NHL hub. They get to use BMO Field to work out.

3rd in class and 11th out of 130 competitors. I was leading class all day then got beat by a couple cars in last run (Cayman and Corvette).
2 year old, worn out RE71R (already been flipped) running 30PSI front and rear.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
I took a look at my personal autox results. FTD 4x on the 1st set of RE71s before dismounting and flipping them side/side (after 51 runs), then another FTD 4x afterwards. No issues here.

I was only able to achieve 97 runs on the RE71s before discarding them. Has anybody got a higher autox run count on a set of RE71s?
It’s not that I want to suck, it’s that I just suck.. I was getting gapped by 1-2 seconds by leeder and tamadx all last year, so I don’t think flipping will make or break me lol.

Not sure if gosefroba is a bfg salesman or not but he’s doing a good job selling me on them. Also curious on the falkens cause they’re so cheap..

Hank, i got something like ~180 on re71rs.. don’t remember the exact count but it was up there. I run them till they cord or chunk tho, so I’m still using them long after they’re “dead”. I think the fact the majority of my runs are not on concrete definitely helps
Glad you guys brought this up recently, as I came here specifically looking for an idea of life expectancy for these tires on our cars in AX.

I'm currently at about 150 on my flipped RE-71Rs. For the record, I'm running 255/35/18, with completely stock suspension. Prior to the flip, they were showing that the car badly needs camber (& likely a better driver). I flipped them at about 65, & I think that I was much harder on them pre-flip than I have been since. I'm not over-driving the car as much, at least that's been a big focus for me since. But they are definitely getting thin. I have an event this weekend that will likely put another 25-30 on them, & that will likely be it for this set.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Anyone in here autocross near North/South Carolina? I used to run my ST in the Detroit area 100 years ago, but looks like not a lot of events where I'm at now. I was never very good at it, but I really want to get my RS out on the track now that I've seen all the videos in here.

I have autocrossed before at ZMax for national events. Its in Charlotte NC

·
Premium Member
3,445 Posts

Which area of SC/NC are you at. I'm in Eastern NC near Atlantic Beach. So far our local events here have been COVID cancelled. Sept is still on the schedule, but not sure the site will let it happen yet.

2861 - 2880 of 2887 Posts