Ford Focus RS Forum banner

2741 - 2760 of 2795 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Well, today wasn't very fun. Last event of the year. Cylinder on the belt side (is that 1 or 4) blew out the front of the block. Rode limiter for maybe a full second coming into a slalom, held speed through the slalom, engine let go getting on throttle on the exit. They found oil at the start of the slalom though, but no lights came on at the time. Of course that's the run I didn't get video of. 15,500 miles on the car. Found a piston ring on the ground. I couldn't get any pictures of the hole, it was under the thermostat housing area. Hard to see. It's at my Ford place, we'll see how this goes...
Wow, sucks to hear. This is with the new tune right? Definitely will keep an eye on this.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Wow, sucks to hear. This is with the new tune right? Definitely will keep an eye on this.
Yeah brand new tune, fresh oil change. Temps were fine before the run and after the previous runs. Was only like 50 degrees outside. Hopefully the dealership will do what they can to determine what failed, even if the warranty gets denied.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Attended a 2-day Autocross in West Monroe, LA with the Red River Region SCCA.

My FTD streak stopped at 5 weekends in a row. I came in 2nd on 11/16 and 3rd on 11/17. Damn good driving by the 2-driver Civic team. Car has a 3 year setup on it and they go to nationals every year. It has a Giken front LSD and it pulls that little car around the entire course.

Same RS setup as before. 3190-3200 lb depending on fuel load.

11/16/19

11/17/19

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Started another FTD streak. :p
Autox 11/24/19 Results. More information here.

Notes:
  • Fastest Time of the Day out of 46 drivers by 0.878 seconds. 1st in SM by 1.163 seconds. Even beat the Jr cart driver. ;)
  • Same RS setup as before. 3200 lb estimated weight today.
  • RE-71R tires are now at 79 runs.
  • Odometer 5560 miles today. Drove to the event (10 miles from home).
My best run:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Continuing the 2nd FTD streak. ;)
Autox 12/01/19 Results. More information here.

Notes:
  • Fastest Time of the Day out of 39 drivers by 1.063 seconds. 1st in SM by 1.401 seconds.
  • Same RS setup as before. 3240 lb estimated weight today (3/4 tank).
  • RE-71R tires are now at 85 runs.
  • Odometer 5570 miles today. Trailered my RS to the event.
My best run:

·
Registered
3 Posts
For those of you running the sparco wheels what lugs are you using? Do oem fit? The ones tire rack sends with them? Something else?

just ordered a set for the upcoming season. Just got the car and can not wait!

·
Registered
331 Posts
For those of you running the sparco wheels what lugs are you using? Do oem fit? The ones tire rack sends with them? Something else?

Don’t use OEM. They suck. The basic aftermarket ones are fine.

I’ve got 2 sets of the Sparco wheels. Awesome cheap 20 lb setup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts

thank you sir! Yeah after doing some reading in here and talking to locals it’s the best choice without going oz $$.

i have read the oem suck but haven’t messed with them yet. I’ll stick with the basic aftermarket ones.

·
Registered
331 Posts
thank you sir! Yeah after doing some reading in here and talking to locals it’s the best choice without going oz $$.

i have read the oem suck but haven’t messed with them yet. I’ll stick with the basic aftermarket ones.
Ya. I kinda take this marginally serious and I think OZ wheel money is stupid.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ya. I kinda take this marginally serious and I think OZ wheel money is stupid.

I’ve seen! your posts and mileage helped seal the deal as my next autocross/weekend car. Coming from a momentum car it’ll take a little getting used to but I’m looking forward to it.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I’ve seen! your posts and mileage helped seal the deal as my next autocross/weekend car. Coming from a momentum car it’ll take a little getting used to but I’m looking forward to it.
My son has my old BRZ. Going back in forth is super weird.

The secret to RS autoX is early gas, and stay on throttle. Good luck and have fun.

·
Premium Member
3,369 Posts

I used the nuts that TR shipped with the Sparco wheels. Even for the OE wheels (minus the OE lock) The OE non-locking nuts are crap.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I started having issues with the ones that Tirerack sent after about a year of autocrossing 20+ events. I have swapped to Muteki but the ones that came from TR aren't bad

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Autox 12/15/19 Results. More information here.
New video format: Race Render with GoPro + Cobb AP Data. Let me know if it's better than the old format.

Notes:
  • Out of 69 drivers I was 5th fastest in Raw time. Very close competition today. 1st in SM by 0.347 seconds.
  • Same RS setup as before. 3200 lb estimated weight today (3/8 tank).
  • RE-71R tires are now at 91 runs.
  • Odometer 5580 miles today. Trailered my RS to the event.
My best run:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I love my RS, my region is butthurt. Took 2nd overall pax in 2018 as a novice, this year scored 493 pts (4 wins, and a 5th out of 179) for my top 5 finishes, just about a total lock. Proud of my driving and the cars performance, the region not so much. Class winners and final pax won't be disclosed until awards banquet (yrs past within week or 2 last event) , banquet announcement yesterday on Facebook and am blocked from seeing content. Bylaws and policies spell out the regions award system, seems shady as f**k. Yes I am competitive, a doer not talker, does this make me a bad fit with all regions or just this one? Not sure how many times solo director has said "cheater car" to the crowd while he hands me a trophy. Anyone else dealing with bs like this?

·
Registered
331 Posts
I love my RS, my region is butthurt. Took 2nd overall pax in 2018 as a novice, this year scored 493 pts (4 wins, and a 5th out of 179) for my top 5 finishes, just about a total lock. Proud of my driving and the cars performance, the region not so much. Class winners and final pax won't be disclosed until awards banquet (yrs past within week or 2 last event) , banquet announcement yesterday on Facebook and am blocked from seeing content. Bylaws and policies spell out the regions award system, seems shady as f**k. Yes I am competitive, a doer not talker, does this make me a bad fit with all regions or just this one? Not sure how many times solo director has said "cheater car" to the crowd while he hands me a trophy. Anyone else dealing with bs like this?
What sanctioning body ( ie scca ?) That sounds like a bunch of Bullshit.

I joke my video game car drives itself, but it still takes a driver.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I agree with RedBaron80 that is total crap. No clue what their problem is. There's more to that story.

The only drama we had in our local SCCA chapter was a guy talking trash through Facebook at fellow racers. He would even private message folks and cuss them out. Nice guy on track, asshole behind a keyboard. The board members for our local SCCA chapter met and banned him for a few months to cool off. He came back after the ban was lifted and things are much better. Hell, he's an instructor to newbies now.

2741 - 2760 of 2795 Posts