Ford Focus RS Forum banner

The Autocross Thread

537K views 3K replies 226 participants last post by  buttdyno 
#1 · (Edited)
Who plans to autocross their RS?
any bets on what class it will end up in? I hope it falls into BS for competition sake, but due to the limited availability of it, I wont be surprised if it gets buried in AS. Either way I plan to run it locally at Ft Devens and try to make a few national events. I realize its a ways off before this car will be driven in anger, but its never to soon to dream about it.

currently I like to dream about the tail getting a bit loose mid corner from a slightly hot entry and then instead of giving it up I get back down on the gas and power past the apex and exit the corner under nearly full boost.
the best part about this dream is that soon it will be a reality.

#3 ·
I bet it's placed in SM because it's so crazy lol. I'll auto X the hell out of mine for sure.

Reactions: DARTH55
#11 ·
I've been autocrossing for a little over a year. Love my ST, but GS is really competitive where I run with 2 regular ST's, 2 Mazdaspeeds, a GTI, and an Abarth. We have loads of fun when we're all there just seeing who will take the class for that event. I don't want to mod my ST and remove myself from my class because I don't want to get spanked. You better believe that I'm going to autoX my RS. I'm a casual racer. I do it for fun and to better my skills.

And for the life of me.....I can't stand those STI's. I hope to show them a thing or 2.

#20 ·
Me too man, when I went to a RallyX event with my Ford all the sorry ass Subaru guys told me I was in the wrong Blue Oval. When I get my RS i'm going to be eating them up on pavement, dirt, snow, whatever they wanna race in. So glad Ford finally made an STI and EVo killer!!!!

#15 ·
I'm hoping for BS, most I've talked to think that is where it will be too. I'm planning on running on the Cup 2 track tires first and monitoring what others are using and if a 200+ TW is found better than the Cup 2s I'll look in to those later.

Unless I find an 18" set up that I really like much more than the forged 19" I'll likely stick with them for now. I'll have my 18x7.5 winter wheels for all-seasons when not racing. Also, look forward to Meet/auto-x event in Oct from me, I've been hosting this event for the 1G/3G CRX/Civic community for a few years, I told them this year (2015) was the last I'm hosting, but will likely continue to invite them too.

#22 ·
I'm sure I'll autocross mine a time or two but I'll run in a much faster class since I don't care about points.

Reactions: DARTH55
#25 ·
I highly doubt it'll be drift mode. Track mode should be fastest, then probably sport, then a toss up between drift and normal. Drifting != fast.

Reactions: RetiredDP
#24 ·
I'm curious about this too, if I can pull the front wheels closer to a cone and the rear push around it it could be a little faster. But if it pushes too far it will not be worth much, but I understand the system to work with you, we will see.

#27 ·
If you can keep the rear from going to showoff drift angles and to make it easier to push the rear tires onto the same track as the front it could be fast, but if getting it to not push the rear beyond the front track is too hard track will very likely be the fastest, maybe track by default will try pushing the rear to the front track.

#29 ·
I like autocrossing but have never been super serious about it. My concern with autocrossing this car is the near 3500 lb weight!

I think the car will be better exploited at a track day, but i guess we will see! I would be more inclined to take my FRS to an autocross event.

#31 ·
Maybe I should start an entirely different thread, but anyway;

I'm curious in taking the RS autocrossing, however I've never been before. As someone who is a complete noob to the topic, how difficult and expensive will it be to get the appropriate gear and be able to enjoy the RS on a "track"? Do I just need to buy a helmet, have the car pass a safety inspection, pay some entrance fee, and go enjoy 5 takes or so on an autocross track?

Or do I go to wallmart, buy a 100 pack of soccer cones, find an empty parking lot, and explain to the officer that its autocross, not reckless driving and trespassing?

Jokes aside how hard is it to get into the auto x world?

#32 ·
Maybe I should start an entirely different thread, but anyway;

I'm curious in taking the RS autocrossing, however I've never been before. As someone who is a complete noob to the topic, how difficult and expensive will it be to get the appropriate gear and be able to enjoy the RS on a "track"? Do I just need to buy a helmet, have the car pass a safety inspection, pay some entrance fee, and go enjoy 5 takes or so on an autocross track?

Or do I go to wallmart, buy a 100 pack of soccer cones, find an empty parking lot, and explain to the officer that its autocross, not reckless driving and trespassing?

Jokes aside how hard is it to get into the auto x world?
I like the soccer cone plan. Definitely cheaper lol

#37 ·
Another good site for searching for events from different clubs is motorsportreg.com , they list events from various clubs and I know my local SCCA group list our events there. I've see heavier cars autocross and do good. Just have to drive the car to its strengths, but if it will corner =>1G it should be fine for having fun.

#39 · (Edited)
Go to SCCA.org, click on the Autocross tab, and you'll find out everything you need to know. There's around 50 different classes of car to compete against, so you'll be in a class with very similiar cars to your's to compete against. There's a low entry fee for each event. You can compete your 1st time as a guest, without joining SCCA. If you're 24 or younger, you can enter for less money.

A motorcycle helmet can be used, but it's better to get an SA2015-rated helmet. M-rated helmets are for motorcycles, and are cheaper. SA-rated helmets are for auto racing, with fire-resistant foam inside. The loaner helmets MAY not fit your size...no size XXXL for instance, which is what I use. I use a Pyrotect SA2015 helmet, XXXL, which cost $299 (including visor). BTW, a helmet reconditioning guy at cyclegear.com advises that he always uses gloves when handling used helmets...they can get vile on the inside. I'd recommend that you at least pick up a nomex headsock on Amazon for $20-30. I wear one myself under my own helmet, and wash it after each autox session. Keeps you helmet from getting smelly (you'll sweat under your helmet). Be aware that different people have differently-shaped heads...round, mid-oval and long-oval. The ubiquitous Bell helmets are round, my Pyrotect is a mid-oval and the Arai Signet-Q (M-rated) is a long-oval. If the helmet you're trying on is squashing you at the front and back of your head, you're a mid- or long-oval head. The Pyrotect's advantage is that the lining is modular, stuck on with velcro, and can be ordered with different thickness of padding on the sides and front and rear to optimize the fit. A bigger round helmet on an oval head will make the sides too loose, which is what most motorcycle stores will try to fit you into.

Enter as a "Novice" for your first race...you may get a trophy your first time...that's what got me hooked. Bring a cigarette-lighter-powered tire air pump ($30-35 at Home Depot), as you'll want to increase your tire pressure by about 3-4 psi when racing. Be sure you go back to stock pressures after the event, before driving home. Buy a good-quality air pressure gauge for checking inflation/deflation pressures. Bring a small cooler with lunch, ice and NON-ALCOHOLIC drinks of your choice (it can get hot standing out on the tarmac picking up cones). A folding chair is always nice to have...I'm partial to the ones with a fold-down extended back to provide a little overhead canopy shade when needed (they're about $60). Bring sunscreen and a baseball cap for eyeshade.

#40 · (Edited)
I'll be doing local autox events and mostly ProSolo for the National stuff as I like the format a lot better. Still on the fence between RallyCross'ing the RS or buying a RallyCross beater.

255's should fit no problem as they do with room to spare on my ST. I have 245/40R18 Rival S to start with thanks to contingency last year. Then I'll probably switch to 255/35R18 RE-71R since they are a better in the wet and as good in the dry from my testing last year in the FiST... just sucks it doesn't look like they will have Pro contingency this year again :neglected:

#41 · (Edited)
I think I may try sneaking into HS. Reading App. A in 2016 draft it is listed as HS based on how I read it. :tongue-new:

Code:
[b]G Street Class (GS)[/b]
Ford
	Focus ST (2013-2016)
[b]H Street Class (HS)[/b]
Ford
	Focus (all except ST 2013-16)

#48 ·
#50 ·
My initial thought would be track mode, but back off the dampers back to normal (since my club runs on a fairly bumpy parking lot). Drift mode is certainly intriguing; needless to say, I can't wait to find out!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.