Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long do you think it takes from Germany to the US ? I've seen pictures of cars loaded on a ship. I'd think they would be covered with salt by the time they get here.

·
Registered
555 Posts
They get stored in the hull, not out in the elements.

·
Registered
8 Posts
How long do you think it takes from Germany to the US ? I've seen pictures of cars loaded on a ship. I'd think they would be covered with salt by the time they get here.
Depending on which ports they ship from and to, typical ocean transit time is about 10 days. That would not include any time to get the cars to the port in Germany or to the dealers here in the USA.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
West Coast cars need to come through the Panama Canal which adds another ~10 days. But these cars sit in lots prior to loading and after unloading, then generally undergo a full diagnostic scan before being loaded onto a truck to go to the dealer, so you can't just use actual transit time to calculate delivery time.

Jim

·
Registered
222 Posts
When the time comes, your dealers will be able to tell you the steps the car is going trough. Like some sort of tracking for shipping. We'll all be getting news in the upcoming weeks :) we're getting close to production!!!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Thats probably pretty close. It will sit until they get a full ship, then 10-20 days at sea, then potentially a few days on rail.
It prolly won't sit until the ship is all the way full of RS. Those things hold nearly 10k cars, so there will most likely be a mix of all makes that come from the EU onboard. Only Ford knows exactly how many will make it across the pond at one time but my guess is somewhere between 10 and 500 at a time.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
It prolly won't sit until the ship is all the way full of RS. Those things hold nearly 10k cars, so there will most likely be a mix of all makes that come from the EU onboard. Only Ford knows exactly how many will make it across the pond at one time but my guess is somewhere between 10 and 500 at a time.
Oh I know. I was just pointing out that unless he's lucky it's not going to drive off the assembly line and onto a boat.

I would think a couple hundred at a time. They've given themselves a short window to make and deliver all these 2016 cars before(if) the 2017 begins production.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Go cruize some Audi forums... Typically after factory acceptance to getting to the dealer you are looking as short as 25 to as long as 60. I can't find anywhere that ford has shipped a car from Germany to the US before, so I don't know how the logistics will match up with Audi but my guess would be closer to 60 than 25.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Tracking the shipping of your RS (maybe?)

The things going against being able to do this for the RS's coming over here are probably significant, but if the stars and moon align, perhaps it will be possible to do so. I was able to track both of my Cooper S's as they travelled the ocean blue from Oxford, UK. The key in all of this is having the VIN.

Long story short, depending on the shipping company Ford is using to ship the cars from Germany, you may be able to pop in a VIN and track it to the port of entry. Once at the port of entry there is usually about a week of customs/prep before it's on a truck to your dealer.

I apologize if it's against the rules to link to another forum, but more details than you will ever care to read on this subject are here in the North American Motoring forum: How to Track your MINI: Revised, Expanded and Updated - North American Motoring

I don't believe that Ford has an Owner's Lounge, but it looks like people have been able to get a hold of their order numbers and build week here? It may be just a call to the dealer to get what you need.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm waiting, too. Wouldn't be surprised if we ordered ours from the same place? I've been a little annoyed at the wait without news.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Shipping to the US

Hi All,

I started this thread of collect information on Shipping the RS to the USA.
Now that production has begun for US cars we will all be going crazy trying to figure out when our cars will be at the dealers.
Please post information on tracking, time from release from the factory, ports, ships, time on the sea, time from port to dealership, how Ford is transporting these cars to and from ports.... etc.

Its starting to get real!!

·
Super Moderator
15,472 Posts
I merged these threads together since there were three separate threads.

Hopefully, we can all build on this once we hear of the FoRS making it to port and ready to ship stateside.

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts
I found that Ford used K-Line for shipping the Mustang to EU, maybe they will be used again for RS to US. If so it looks like from Zeebrügge it takes about 3 weeks to Galveston, 4 weeks to to Jacksonville and a little over 4 weeks to Baltimore.

Automotive Logistics - Ford begins Mustang exports from US to Europe
"K"*Line Car Carrier RoRo North America East Coast - Europe & Mediterranean

More digging on K-Line site I found they have a better time to Balitmore and add Charleston.
"K"*Line Car Carrier RoRo North Atlantic Shuttle - North America East Coast / Europe

·
Registered
410 Posts
Hopefully we won't see a repeat of the likes of this, only loaded with our RS's.

Top Gear

1 - 20 of 31 Posts