Ford Focus RS Forum banner

The 586whp build thread

17K views 72 replies 20 participants last post by  mexrs 
Mines done through Kacper, the Motec system
Is different

100% torque can be sent to a single wheel with much more precision. Take a look at the new Audi RS3, the “torque rear” mode puts the focus RS “Drift mode” to absolute shame (just an example). Much more of the power can be sent to the rear of the car where as the RS is capped at a specific torque.
Though I'm pretty sure the audi torque splitter should be better since its 5 years newer, I'd still like a source which breaks down the specifications. Do you have any links? I founds some for the audi, but couldnt get any numbers on the GKN twinster.

Mines done through Kacper, the Motec system
Is different

100% torque can be sent to a single wheel with much more precision. Take a look at the new Audi RS3, the “torque rear” mode puts the focus RS “Drift mode” to absolute shame (just an example). Much more of the power can be sent to the rear of the car where as the RS is capped at a specific torque.

Looks about the same in terms of torque handling. 1750 Nm for the Audi and 1700 Nm for the GKN stock which you can flash to 2550 Nm

Lol in a FAR less sophisticated way. The “chassis control module” is not even close to the same level of quality or performance. Watch some videos of RS3’s making well over 1000whp with minimal wheel spin. Now take a 550whp RS and watch yourself light the front wheels on fire before it finally hooks. Ford really kicked the system in the nuts with its entry level torque vectoring system.
Lol. I think you bought into their marketing hype. It might very well be better, but you have no good reason to believe it. Both RDUs transfer the same amount of torque pretty much (see previous links I gave. I dont know if you missed it). If the 1000hp Audi doesnt spin its front tires its cause the computer is cutting power or slipping its clutches. Besides, any 1000 hp RS3 was on the previous haldex single clutch rear end which was probably swapped out in the build.

Also, The audi torque vectoring rear end also overdrives the rear guaranteed even if they don't mention it in the marketing. If it didn't do that, then it wouldn't work properly because the rear tires would drag through turns at small turn angles. This is because there is no rear differential which allows the outside wheel to travel farther than the inside wheels when going around a turn. The front differential rotates at the average speed between the outside and inside front wheels, while these torque vectoring rear ends can't compensate in that way. All similar systems including the originator of the concept- honda's SH-AWD have overdriven rear ends.

It must be easy being an upscale brand. All you have to do is mark up the price and people will automatically believe its better.

Torque vectoring is torque vectoring, the BASE system is almost always going to be the same, no arguments there. But where the systems differ here is that Audi utilizes many more inputs and a has a much more sophisticated computer control system. Which is absolutely key in the performance of the system. It’s easy to see just by reading the literature on both cars.
Torque vectoring is torque vectoring, the BASE system is almost always going to be the same, no arguments there. But where the systems differ here is that Audi utilizes many more inputs and a has a much more sophisticated computer control system. Which is absolutely key in the performance of the system. It’s easy to see just by reading the literature on both cars.
Dude, the focus takes the same inputs- steering angle, wheel speeds, accelerometer data, throttle position, etc. And the video you linked doesn't say anything special about its computer control system.

Anyways, at this point I'm pretty sure I'm just talking to an Audi salesman. You got me. good one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.