1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I work for a Chevy dealer and can really say since the re-launch of the Camaro it has come a long long way. The 1LE is an amazing vehicle, have not had a chance to drive a Z/28 yet though. The 2016 Camaro really puts some pressure on the Vette, but that will change when the C8 goes mid-engine :)

Reading this really wants me to take advantage of my discount, I hope it lives up to the hype. The good news is just a year or two later some performance package will come out to make it even better :)

·
Registered
558 Posts
"Take that Ford."
Lol. There is a band member from AC/DC who's a real car fanatic, he hosts some show I recently caught that examined how Porsches were manufactured, and he got to drive a beautiful 917 on their test track.
I'll still take my RS, every day of the week. I also enjoy outward visibility in my cars...
Was going to raise this issue as well - I sat in a 2015 Camaro at the dealership a few days ago and can scarcely believe it's legal to drive these things on the road. You'd need a troupe of NASCAR-type spotters on your route to drive that tank safely. Id hesitate to even take it out for a test drive unless I lived in some area with practically no traffic.

Even the Focus isn't so great in that department, at least compared to older hatches like the Integra and 1st-gen Tiburon. Currently the Golf R has far better sightlines, and even the 2 series BMW is a step up.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Drive most supercars and truly see what poor visibility is lol. The 5th Gen really did have bad line of sight, Ill search the lot not sure if we have a 16 yet but sightline is said to be better. I'm also hopping the vacantness of the cockpit is addressed, one thing that kind of always ruled the Camaro out for me.

·
Registered
558 Posts
They did drop the Gen 6's hood by an inch, and the A pillars are said to be thinner. But they also dropped the height of the car by an inch so it's unlikely there is any real net gain in forward visibility - forget about seeing any sky (or even stoplights if you are too close to them).

All that said, I'd still like to test drive the new SS, as it sounds like it offers incredible performance and handling for the money. A base SS1 would only be a few thousand more than the price of the RS here.

·
Super Moderator
15,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lol. There is a band member from AC/DC who's a real car fanatic, he hosts some show I recently caught that examined how Porsches were manufactured, and he got to drive a beautiful 917 on their test track.
Are you speaking of AC/DC front man, Brian Johnson?

·
Super Moderator
15,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They did drop the Gen 6's hood by an inch, and the A pillars are said to be thinner. But they also dropped the height of the car by an inch so it's unlikely there is any real net gain in forward visibility - forget about seeing any sky (or even stoplights if you are too close to them).

All that said, I'd still like to test drive the new SS, as it sounds like it offers incredible performance and handling for the money. A base SS1 would only be a few thousand more than the price of the RS here.
Also don't forget that the Camaro shed 200 pounds in weight too bad the Mustang added nearly that same amount.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Also don't forget that the Camaro shed 200 pounds in weight too bad the Mustang added nearly that same amount.
True, but as the Camaro was a few hundred pounds heavier than the Mustang in the last generation, the net changes have made them relatively similar in mass (at least for the V8 versions).

·
Registered
190 Posts
Since I drive a concrete mixer, these cars with supposedly bad visibility don't seem to bother me. What bothers me about the camaro is 9 cubic feet of trunk space and an engine that might grenade on you.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Since I drive a concrete mixer, these cars with supposedly bad visibility don't seem to bother me. What bothers me about the camaro is 9 cubic feet of trunk space and an engine that might grenade on you.
I have not seen on LT1 failure at my dealership yet. I have only seen 2 LS3 failures and one LS7(all bearing issues), they weren't exactly being treated nicely but no way should an engine fail under any circumstances. I would never fear beating the crap out of one though.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
The odd thing about this is that, the Camaro shedding weight by 200 lbs was not a surprise and was know the next gen would use the Alpha platform years ago. I don't know why Ford let that happen, it is one thing to try to keep the weight the same, but adding that much when your main rival is loosing the same?????

·
Registered
558 Posts
Going to a Camaro rollout party at a nearby dealership in a few days - partly for the swag, but I'm also curious to see how much they did with the sightlines. To go by the recent review on The Truth About Cars - not nearly enough. They tore it a new one in that department :eek:.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
5 Participants
Devon K
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing