Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Focus ST doesn't have it.

Special high flow grill mesh.

Why then, that dirty great grotesque bar of black plastic across the the grill right there: front & centre?
It offends me every time I look. Awful!

Is it just me - did I totally miss the comments?

·
Registered
555 Posts
There is a steel crash bar just behind it, the bar could have been moved farther forward to allow for larger radiator and intercooler, this was probably thought up to hide it, go ahead and cut it out..then watch the front end twist up, that and nothing to hook a tow strap to.:topsy_turvy:

Plus its NOT a ST...The optimised front grille mesh has 85% free cross section compared to 56% on the Focus ST to improve air intake.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
The Focus ST doesn't have it.

Special high flow grill mesh.

Why then, that dirty great grotesque bar of black plastic across the the grill right there: front & centre?
It offends me every time I look. Awful!

Is it just me - did I totally miss the comments?
Are you talking about the panel circled in red or yellow?

blockingplate.png

·
Registered
555 Posts
He be talking about the cross plate, not he block plate for intercooler.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Although the black strip does resemble a "mouth guard", I think the front end of the RS looks super clean and mean :tennis: especially coming from a Mazda 3 which has the front end of the joker mixed with a drunken clown lol. I do wish they had left the intercooler/radiator silver because it looked badass like it could swallow a person if they stood in front.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The red circle.

Poorly resolved even if masking additional(?) RS structural bracing. I, as noted, also expect structural or bump role.

I haven't seen an RS but the mask is a long way forward in the nose.

As to the ST reference - I know it isn't an ST...that was for comparison, that it seemingly doesn't require cosmetic tidy up for a front cross brace.
I've never felt any of those Italian sports cars that reveal their transaxles, plumbing, and other mechanicals were under resolved - kinda lewd techno-rotic, actually.

I also alluded to the special low section mesh - so yep, understood. Yet, look at the blanking area the mask represents. It's enormous. Kind'a at odds with the 'more air' hype. I'm imagining a somewhat elegantly resolved (I know, cost) substructure visible on close inspection behind the special mesh.

Bugger the number plate, justified by providing a mount surface for an RS badge. :)

BTW, I commented that it's ugly - not that I was contemplating cutting things apart to remove it.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I am still hoping for an aftermarket grille along the lines of this RS3-style grille:
View attachment 4300

*Hint hint to any manufacturing types out there ;)
Yup... No perfect way to do it, but this is about the best way to "hide" the crash bar.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Less is more in the extreme

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
The red circle.

Poorly resolved even if masking additional(?) RS structural bracing. I, as noted, also expect structural or bump role.

I haven't seen an RS but the mask is a long way forward in the nose.

As to the ST reference - I know it isn't an ST...that was for comparison, that it seemingly doesn't require cosmetic tidy up for a front cross brace.
I've never felt any of those Italian sports cars that reveal their transaxles, plumbing, and other mechanicals were under resolved - kinda lewd techno-rotic, actually.

I also alluded to the special low section mesh - so yep, understood. Yet, look at the blanking area the mask represents. It's enormous. Kind'a at odds with the 'more air' hype. I'm imagining a somewhat elegantly resolved (I know, cost) substructure visible on close inspection behind the special mesh.

Bugger the number plate, justified by providing a mount surface for an RS badge. :)

BTW, I commented that it's ugly - not that I was contemplating cutting things apart to remove it.
The pre-face lift ST looks better but in terms of airflow remember that the same section where the crash bar is located is also blocked off on the ST.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Wasn't there a photoshop floating around with that part deleted?

I don't think the black bar looks bad. Part of me thinks it would actually look too open without it, but I'd need to see it first.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I like it, it distinguishes it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does anyone have an idea on how resilient the surface of this plastic piece is, maybe similar plastics used are used in the FoST? Any forward facing plastics on cars I have owned have looked terrible after a couple years; Gravel, road grime, sandblasting, general weathering...

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Does anyone have an idea on how resilient the surface of this plastic piece is, maybe similar plastics used are used in the FoST? Any forward facing plastics on cars I have owned have looked terrible after a couple years; Gravel, road grime, sandblasting, general weathering...
I looked at it pretty closely at the car show the other weekend. It appears to have some sort of coating on it, its not the bare plastic that GM used all over the Avalanche that faded in a year.

·
Premium Member
3,273 Posts
I was thinking it was painted same color as the stock wheels. At least I thought I read that in one of the first details to be released, but not seen it since.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I never liked that bar, nor the nitrous blue color, in looking g at all of the pictures I had ever seen. In person, the blue isn't that bad and the bar doesn't stand out like it does in pictures. It sits recessed back just far enough to no be prominent except when looked at from straight ahead. Hell, it even kind of grew on me.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
22 Participants
onestep
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing