Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Floridian in a comment mentioned he's waiting for a test drive to make his RS buy decision. Anyone think that is ever going to be possible up here? Seems highly unlikely. Canadian dealers for any non-luxury brand seem very reluctant to stock high-end performance models for test driving. And given the very tight supply of the RS, they'll all be spoken for before delivery - no buyer is going to allow their vehicle to be used for test drives.

The dealer I was working with couldn't even provide a FoST to test drive, which would be the absolute minimum I'd need before plonking down a deposit. Anyway, I'm waiting for the initial reviews.

·
Registered
471 Posts
If you really want the RS, you should strongly consider getting your deposit in on one now! Waiting for initial reviews means you probably wouldn't be able to buy one, they will all be accounted for.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The dealer I was working with couldn't even provide a FoST to test drive, which would be the absolute minimum I'd need before plonking down a deposit. Anyway, I'm waiting for the initial reviews.
While i was on the hunt for my RS i mentioned that the interiors of the RS and the ST were similar. I told the dealer that i wanted to get in one to see how i felt about the seats. I wasn't really asking for a test drive, but i ended up on one anyway. I believe it was a 2015 with like 300 miles on the clock, leather, sunroof, etc... It was nice to feel out the gearbox/ clutch but i was mostly sold on the RS anyway. The big difference that i didn't like was the variable ratio steering feel compared to my GTI but they are changing that anyway.

IMO it's unlikely that there will be NO FoRSs to test drive, however, the ones that are left at that point may have some absurd +10k ADM and be very far away. At the same time, as long as you act interested, you will get a test drive.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you really want the RS, you should strongly consider getting your deposit in on one now! Waiting for initial reviews means you probably wouldn't be able to buy one, they will all be accounted for.
That's likely true for the 2016 MY cars - but I am OK with waiting for the 2017s, hoping for better paint colours by then. And an (unlikely I admit) rev-matching manual....

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IMO it's unlikely that there will be NO FoRSs to test drive, however, the ones that are left at that point may have some absurd +10k ADM and be very far away. At the same time, as long as you act interested, you will get a test drive.
That may be true in the States (I see you're in Boston), but up here dealers are far more stingy about making specialty cars available for testing even in big markets like the GTA.

·
Registered
720 Posts
A Floridian in a comment mentioned he's waiting for a test drive to make his RS buy decision. Anyone think that is ever going to be possible up here? Seems highly unlikely. Canadian dealers for any non-luxury brand seem very reluctant to stock high-end performance models for test driving. And given the very tight supply of the RS, they'll all be spoken for before delivery - no buyer is going to allow their vehicle to be used for test drives.

That's odd they couldn't provide an ST. That is exactly what I did before ordering the RS. I took it out once with the saleswoman and drove it fairly hard. I took it out a second time by myself and for longer to get a better feel of road sound and handling. I also noticed the seats were more comfortable on my second test drive. I am a bigger guy so I was worried about the Recaros but on the second drive they didn't bother me that much. Anyways, had a blast driving the 2015 ST so I am sure the RS will be a very rewarding car to drive.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts

Hell my salesman let me take out 2016 FoST with 4 miles on it for a test drive by myself a few weeks ago to get a feel of it.

·
Registered
235 Posts
That's likely true for the 2016 MY cars - but I am OK with waiting for the 2017s, hoping for better paint colours by then. And an (unlikely I admit) rev-matching manual....
Is there definitely going to be 2017 though, I was going to wait but all I have read is that 2016 orders will be honoured into 2017, 2017 is the next gen Focus release. I was going to wait until 2017, but with no guarantee for the 2017MY I'm not chancing it.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I did drive a Focus ST, primarly to get a sense of the the size and feel of the car. I was very pleasantly surprised, except for the artificial electronic engine sound effects.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Heres the thing, these cars will not be hard to get rid of even if you dont like it. The limited release of the car is going to make people want it, you could probably buy one at MSRP and flip it for an easy 5K more without hesitation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That's odd they couldn't provide an ST. That is exactly what I did before ordering the RS. I took it out once with the saleswoman and drove it fairly hard. I took it out a second time by myself and for longer to get a better feel of road sound and handling. I also noticed the seats were more comfortable on my second test drive. I am a bigger guy so I was worried about the Recaros but on the second drive they didn't bother me that much. Anyways, had a blast driving the 2015 ST so I am sure the RS will be a very rewarding car to drive.
A few dealers I spoke with have said they're waiting on the RS to roll through to even purchase their ST stock this year so they're not stuck sitting with it if their sales drop off. Its dumb to me, but that's what I was told. I wanted to do the same thing.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did drive a Focus ST, primarly to get a sense of the the size and feel of the car. I was very pleasantly surprised, except for the artificial electronic engine sound effects.
I did as well and found it to be very enjoyable with no major faults apart from a slightly numb steering feel.

I loved the in-cabin sound on acceleration, although on principle I am anti-electronic enhancement. But you had better get used to it, the same system will be on the RS.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
On test driving - after a few dealer chats I have pretty much accepted that this car will never be available for a test drive, demand is too high relative to the tiny supply, and it's too expensive to have one sitting around the lot for the very rare interested customer to test out. In fact I could not even find a dealer in the west end of the GTA with a new ST to test drive - had to test one with a few thousand clicks on it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
why would you want a rev matching manual? takes the fun out of it

Heres the thing, these cars will not be hard to get rid of even if you dont like it. The limited release of the car is going to make people want it, you could probably buy one at MSRP and flip it for an easy 5K more without hesitation.
depends on demand. it is a niche market and hot hatches have traditionally not done well in North America, but this one is supposed to be a game changer.

On test driving - after a few dealer chats I have pretty much accepted that this car will never be available for a test drive, demand is too high relative to the tiny supply, and it's too expensive to have one sitting around the lot for the very rare interested customer to test out. In fact I could not even find a dealer in the west end of the GTA with a new ST to test drive - had to test one with a few thousand clicks on it.
don't know how it works in Canada, but in the US you just put your deposit down but that's dealers aren't allowed to sell a car w/o a test drive. so the worst that could happen is you order it, drive it, hate it, get your deposit back. for special order cars (crazy options or rare colors that don't have mass appeal) you'll probably lose your deposit since it'll be a harder car to move. but with the rs, every dealer i talked to said if you don't like the car they wouldn't have a problem giving me my deposit back because they could sell it in a heartbeat (and more than msrp which is what i'm paying).

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
On the rev matching, see the other threads where it's been discussed to the nth degree.

Here in the GTA the dealers are not willing to refund deposits so it's going to make for a very expensive test drive if you back out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts