Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys - just wanted to get your feedback on the estimated torque you are seeing when datalogging. As far as power upgrades, my car just has Mountune IC, 1 step colder plugs, and Borla S-Type catback. I have worked with 2 of the bigger name tuners over the last 2 years and one's e-tunes peak at about 380lb-ft while the other's peak at over 435lb-ft, both on 93 oct.

I am curious about what numbers you guys are seeing with similar modifications. Is there anything to worry about with big numbers like 435lb-ft? Thank you in advance!

John

·
Registered
91 Posts
I’m just running 94 octane. I find that the torque stays around 450 but Hp can range from 420-470 as seen in picture. Many a V8 car always say to me holy F$&k what do you have in there!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Depends on who else drives your car and how they drive it. My tuner (Adam) generally keeps WHP and torque around 380 (on E-30) at least that is what he did two years ago when he finished my latest tune. I think the greatest danger is going full throttle at low speeds in too high of gear. You are in danger of putting too much load on the rods/bearings and that situation also lends itself to the possibility of low speed detonation.
In my case my wife also occasionally drives my car. When she wants to pass she steps on the gas no matter what gear she is in. At 380 WHP I still have some buffer to what the engine will take when loaded at full throttle in too high of gear. In my opinion at 435lb-ft you are running on the "edge" and should start thinking of running forged internals or limit your torque to 400 max.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I read somewhere that the values have a +/- of 3-5% If you use the drivetrain lose of 15% I’m right around 400 hp/torque.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Are you guys on stock blocks/heads/headstuds with that much HP/TQ? Isn't engine longevity a worry pushing that much power? I have a pretty conservative tune pushing around 350whp/380tq

Edit: really depends on the day too, I was showing 420 hp yesterday on the AP.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you guys! Keep it coming!

My understanding is that the 'estimated torque' is at the crank, not at the wheels. The tuner whose tune is at 380 tells me that's fine, that no further revisions are necessary. It feels barely better than stock, to be honest (I have never logged the OE tune). The 435 tune obviously feels a LOT stronger. And the torque values are higher all the way to redline so it's just plain stronger everywhere.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I usually get the estimation around 440-450 on datalogging pulls. FWIW in the dry in 1st and 2nd gear if I floor it, once boost hits I can break all 4 tires loose.

·
Registered
97 Posts
When its around 50 degrees out, the AP reads up to 504 tq 425 hp. When its warmer out, the AP reads up to 487 tq 411 hp about. I have a 93 tune by Randy at Mountune. The only other mods I have is a Green air filter and Boomba blow off valve.

I always wondered how good the AP estimates were.

Off stoplight races to about 90mph, I've beat a new V8 Camaro before the tune, C63 AMG, and a 2009 GT500 (500 hp, 450 tq) 3 times in a row. Even when I had a slightly slow start when the GT500 did the honking, I could see his hood just slightly behind me the entire time to 90 and he never gained on me.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
504!?! Wow looks like my car needs to eat some Wheaties!

I am glad to hear that people are getting big numbers and (I assume) with no issues for the engine or drivetrain. I think that I will continue my tuning journey with the tuner who provided me the bigger torque figures. The other tuner really needs to up their game!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm surprised that my numbers are higher than others posting since I only got 2 revisions from Randy before my time window was up. I forgot to mention I'm using Costco gas. Maybe that helps?

I've had the tune for maybe 5 or 6k miles before my head gasket recall and it passed the pressure test. It's possible a tune might be better for the head gasket since a stock tune is probably leaner for emissions and gas mileage reasons but might cause more detonation. My guess is that the blown head gaskets and warped heads were probably from LSPI and it seems like most were getting it right around 10k miles which is usually right after an oil change. Maybe the shop either accidentally or on purpose put in a lower grade oil without the additives to prevent LSPI. Maybe its why other manufacturers use an automatic transmission only with their performance cars using high output twin scroll motors. It also explains why Honda chose to go with a single scroll with a smaller power band in the Type R.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well maybe your car is just a freak! Either way, that's awesome.

Not trying to be rude but your understanding of the RS head gasket problem is way off. It was literally the wrong gasket for the RS block and head. In very simple terms, various things didn't line up right.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I know it was the mustang head gasket going in all of our cars except the newer ones and mine definitely had it, but I don't think it was the cause. First, even though all cars before some date in 2017 had it, relatively few cars failed despite tuning, tracking, etc. Also, cooling passages weren't blocked and everything lined up. The mustang gasket just had a passage that led to a dead end in the RS and the RS gasket has more rubber in between the cylinders and those are pretty much the only differences. I don't think that extra rubber is really making the difference. It would only make a failing situation last a bit longer. I think Ford did the recall because everyone was paranoid and could see the coolant passage that leads to nowhere was a production shortcut that makes them look cheap and hacky. Also, marketing materials specifically stated that the RS had an upgraded head gasket compared to the mustang. That would be a definite breach of an express warranty.

This video shows that the mustang gasket isnt weak. The video was posted at roughly the same time the recall was announced so the old gasket is probably what they they gathered all their data on.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I should tell you guys that I also watch my spark plugs very carefully. I’ve noticed after about 4-5k my plugs will have to be gapped again. They are usually sitting around .28-.30 from the .26” Stratified recommended. NGK LTR7IX-11 are the plugs that Stratified told me to go to. Before I first checked them I was getting a backfire under acceleration occasionally. I now check them every 3K or any time I’m going track it.

·
Registered
362 Posts
My ap says 503tq and 470hp. My rev limiter is sat to 7500rpm the engines can go 8500k before problems of stuff hitting. Mine is a 93 montune tune, catless borla system, and Cobb intake. On the dyno I'm at 421hp, and 450tq

1 - 20 of 37 Posts