Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow owners and enthusiasts,

I’ve discovered a tear in my right rear door frame today and I was wondering if anyone has ever seen anything like it or has any idea what could cause it?

See the photos I’ve added, thanks in advance!

Hood Sky Automotive lighting Tints and shades Electric blue
Blue Sky Aqua Electric blue Pattern

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
That is most probably just the paint, and not the underlying structure.

However, that area still needs to be sanded down to bare metal to inspect the body, then repainted and blended. This should be covered under the paint warranty.

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
That is interested, I've not seen any other RSs do that. Was there prior body work in that area?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good day,

Thanks for all the replies.

Some more info:
I’m the second owner and the dealer assured me that this car was the cleanest on the market and it looked very clean to me too with only 17,000km on the clock. They assured me that the car was never in an accident and I could not see anything concerning and did the all the necessary checks myself and took it to Ford to go though it.

I have been driving it now for 6 months and put another 13,000km on it before I noticed this yesterday when I washed it myself which I often do.

I am from South Africa and the temperature (can get quite high and low where I live on the coast) as well as the road conditions could have caused this if it is only a crack in the paint I’m thinking.

Any more insights would be greatly appreciated, thanks for the warm welcome.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Crack looks quite deep to be just paint, looking at the picture 2.
That could be a repair as it looks like filler below the paint and rust staining from the smaller crack.
I’m not saying it is filler or it’s been repaired it just looks like filler.

·
Registered
972 Posts
That sir is massive amounts of filler material from body shop repair

Reactions: spoon

·
Registered
733 Posts
Welcome SA! Worked with a fair few SAs in Afghanistan and Iraq a few years ago. Great group of guys!

Good luck getting the paint/crack sorted out!

Reactions: anro

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi all,

Thanks for sharing even more insights.

I did tap around a lot and it did not sound like filler. But I am no expert.

I will try to have it checked out by Ford soon and let you all know what the findings were.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hey fellow owners and enthusiasts,

I’ve discovered a tear in my right rear door frame today and I was wondering if anyone has ever seen anything like it or has any idea what could cause it?

See the photos I’ve added, thanks in advance!

View attachment 357478 View attachment 357479
You have what's known as a "split." I suggest you request the "factory zone rep" come out and authorize repair under warranty.

The door frames are made of high tensile strength steel, which along with the side intrusion bar comprise the passenger protecting system that was pioneered by Volvo.

Years ago I worked as a supervisor at Ford's Buffalo Stamping Plant. What you have is a metal defect which results from the steel being stretched beyond its elasticity to the point it's thinner in some places and fractures or splits.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi fellow owners,

I have some feedback for you. It seems like there was a bit of a respray done on my car before I bought it. I'm not sure what happened as the dealer and previous owner knows nothing about it. I had the paint thickness measured and there is definitely body-putty where the crack is as we could not even get a reading there.

I also found out that I'm the 3rd owner, the first owner sold the car after just 8000km - an accident could have most likely contributed to the decision to sell so early, but that is just speculation.

The second second owner also told me that he had the car parked in the garage most of the time and did not exposed it to the elements as much as I have which might have caused the crack to only form now.

The dealer where I bought it from is super nice though and offered to rectify the issues. They do some high-end cars: Login • Instagram.

On a different note I won my first ever race that I participated in all thanks to RS power: RACE SC - Overall, AMSC Regional Round 1, ZATiming, South Africa - Official Event Results, MYLAPS Speedhive.

Kind regards,

Anro

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.