Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
teching the color.

I had my paint manufacture in my shop today ( german paint company) and was asking "where are we at with getting a formula for Nitro blue?" I want to start spraying now! It will take time to develop a technical approach. He felt that one of the coats very well may have fine glass suspended in the mid-coats. Uh?!?...... ya, I need to get my hands on that color formula and start playing with it. So hopefully I will be able to test painting some panels next week.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Are you referring to the Liquid Blue we can't have, or the Nitrous Blue that's hard to trust from just internet pics?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I've tried to get my paint rep to get that code too. So far all I got was shadow black and sprayed a test pannel. Ide like t get the stealth gray too.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I had my paint manufacture in my shop today ( german paint company) and was asking "where are we at with getting a formula for Nitro blue?" I want to start spraying now! It will take time to develop a technical approach. He felt that one of the coats very well may have fine glass suspended in the mid-coats. Uh?!?...... ya, I need to get my hands on that color formula and start playing with it. So hopefully I will be able to test painting some panels next week.
Glasurit?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Skikkens is the brand I use now days. I used to use Glasurit. I was and still am a big fan of Glasurit, however the supplier of that brand in my area is horrid, and very unreliable. The Skikkens company has been great for my business and frankly, better supporter of my european restoration company then glasurit ever was. Case in point, they are working on getting me a paint code for Nitro blue. I can't say Glasurit would have been so willing at this point with little to no gain for them until the color arrives in this country.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh I can get Liquid blue. No problem. Using it won't be that tricky either. The Nitro blue is going to be complex at first. That is what I am after.

Are you referring to the Liquid Blue we can't have, or the Nitrous Blue that's hard to trust from just internet pics?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here is a closeup of the color taken under a million lights shining on it in the ford booth. Zoom in and you will see quite a bit of metallic in it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Had a long talk with my paint manufacture rep today. Nitro Blue is not accessible via U.S. market yet..... However the rep is in contact with there headquarters (its in Germany/Netherlands) and the headquarters is mapping it now. Im pressing the issue for two reasons. One, I want to know how to fix the paint on my own car if need be. Two, I will be painting my race car soon and I want it this color.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Oh I can get Liquid blue. No problem. Using it won't be that tricky either. The Nitro blue is going to be complex at first. That is what I am after.
I heard from a guy at Ford performance that liquid blue is 11 coats, the first being red

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Okay finally got the color down to a dead match. It is not a quad coat ( when replicated) it is a tri-coat. The base coat (color) is nothing out of the norm. The mid coat is where the magic happens Transparent white, frost white toner and blenders is all that is in the mid coat. Funny thing is, the paint code in the door is DW. But that is a ford code for a brown car. But bringing in the color spectra camera to scan the color on the car, then entering that analysis in to the computer and then telling the computer that this a factory ford color, it only then will tell you that "yes this is a ford color, no code, no data.... but here is the factory paint receipt"..... well now, isn't that special. I will be painting my vintage race car this color. Well I will be playing more with it in the coming days. Mixing trial and error over the last few months was getting us close, but now I have the map!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
7 Participants
supertank
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing