Ford Focus RS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 122 Posts

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Updates:

Had the oil changed, 8000k miles (second one). Some issues I’m having and what I’m doing to hopefully address them.

Chipping paint on the hood:
I’ve had a couple of instances now of weird chips on the hood in different places. Had Ford dealer take pics and submit to see what can be done (warranty wise). I’m either unlucky or the hood needs to be redone.

RDU issue???
My RDU could be leaking. Not sure what’s going on here. This got cleaned up and will check it out again after a few thousand miles (likely next oil change):

Lastly, I had the struts/dampers checked for part numbers based on another thread I’ve been following about the revisions. My rears were fine, but my fronts were 2 revisions behind. So I went ahead and placed an order for them ($263/each) I believe was the cost. I’ll have this installed (not at the shop) in the next couple of weeks or something. Looking forward to and hopeful for better ride quality (is no pogo).

Also, a more winter pics...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #63 (Edited)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Picked up another air filter to try out.

Mountune V2 which is a slightly different design. It’s an oil based filter, looks similar though to my AEM dry filter.

Loving the mods on the car so far!
With the mountune and aem filters did you put back the stock rs airbox?

Looks like k&n sell the 57s-4000 filter and it comes with a different airbox.
I’d rather leave the original rs airbox though.
Does the original rs airbox still fit with these upgraded filters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Loving the mods on the car so far!
With the mountune and aem filters did you put back the stock rs airbox?

Looks like k&n sell the 57s-4000 filter and it comes with a different airbox.
I’d rather leave the original rs airbox though.
Does the original rs airbox still fit with these upgraded filters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can't speak for the K&N, but I used the stock RS airbox, direct swap for the filter for both he AEM and Mountune variants. Kind of odd K&N went through the lengths to create their own airbox lid. The purpose of the RS one is to allow more of that induction noise.

Since you bought up the filters though, good chance to provide additional feedback now that I'm in full swing of winter here in the midwest. I've been on the Mountune oiled filter for awhile now. I'd say a couple of things which I am going to verify going back to the dry filter for a few weeks:

- On cold starts, the initial start when driving has a very pronounced induction noise. After the first couple of intakes of air it goes away and sounds like normal. I'm going to swap the dry filter in to see if this is just a symptom of the oil based filter or any filter. My ST didn't do this with aftermarket filters in the cold. I also won't say that this is indicative of any kind of problem. I'll test with either, and this could just be normal and I hear it more because of the RS open air filter lid (although I actually swapped my ST to an RS lid as well).

- My mileage seems worse, but that could be my driving. :) I could typically hit the 23-24mpg when I worked for it, otherwise 18-19mpg if I was pushing it constantly. I'm stuck around 20-21mpg, however it's consistently that range regardless of my driving. It's a non-issue, but worth mentioning. I didn't buy this car for the MPG. I'm a man of habits though, pretty routine driving routes and habits so this is just something I noticed.

- I can see myself in the future upgrading to a different air filter box to see if I can get more noise. Unless my windows are down, the RS does a good job of not having that as a distraction, but I honestly could use more of it and wouldn't mind one bit. :D

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Been working at paint chip repair while at home with some time off. I’m not used to that at all so learning on my own car in my own time. I can do light sanding/polish/wax just fine but applying to repairing rock chips has been hard, especially the sanding/polish part.

Either way, some progress, in some lights you can’t see the chips - especially from a distance. Plus, I’m more working towards evening out the chips to wrap the hood soon.

I’ve got the primer figured out. Paint drying and surviving the sanding is driving me nuts though lol.

Distance, mediocre/night lighting.

Under the bright light it doesn’t look as flattering but it’s progress. Trial and error, keep applying paint and sand down until smooth. Polish.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
How's the ride?

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk
Better but too early to say. Springs have significantly improved how the car moves left and right and overall handling. Debating on the pogo effect really being improved but the ride is "smoother". Hard to put it into words. Where some highways were smooth and the RS seemed to find the littlest bump it's now smoothed out entirely. Just need some miles I think to see how it shapes out.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Had a friend locally that wraps try to vinyl wrap the hood with carbon fiber (gloss). We used VVivid, which was super thick, maybe too thick. Didn’t stretch at all, had to use a lot of heat which isn’t great to do against a carbon fiber vinyl wrap (warps the patterns).

Ended up scrapping it but here’s how far we got. It started to look really good, but ultimately with 3 people pulling, adding heat, it still just wasn’t working out. Lots of imperfections, some minor bubbles that wouldn’t air release, really just made you mad wrapping the car honestly.

Will find another manufacturer to go with, I think VVivid is probably great product, just not the particular carbon fiber gloss. Too thick.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #74 (Edited)
I’ve also put a few hundred miles on the new suspension (springs and front struts). I don’t think about the pogo anymore.

It’s still slightly there but it’s not a thing where it brings itself attention. I’d say it's a sportier ride that one would expect from a factory car with the variance you would expect from one sports car to another.

Sport suspension is clearly different and brutal now. Before it was barely a change but now it’s clear.

It has settled in nicely. Looks lower than I thought it would be too.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
More snow! Which means more fun to record. Got a tripod mount for my iPhone, recorded this time in 4K/60fps. Trying to work out more slow motion clips and just better overall quality. I think for the next session I will go down to 1080p/240fps, not getting enough frames to capture things like launch control. Best effort so far and still learning.

·
Registered
229 Posts
More snow! Which means more fun to record. Got a tripod mount for my iPhone, recorded this time in 4K/60fps. Trying to work out more slow motion clips and just better overall quality. I think for the next session I will go down to 1080p/240fps, not getting enough frames to capture things like launch control. Best effort so far and still learning.

Nice! Like the ending.

61 - 80 of 122 Posts