Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey there!

Creating a thread to officially commit myself on this new build opportunity. I was previously an ST owner, just recently sold that beast of a car (literally) and picked up an RS. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the RS yet, it's pretty much what I built the ST to be in terms of a road monster. But, this thread will maybe help me get started. I'm a Mountune fan, I think they do great things for the Focus platform and quality of their products are hard to beat. I went all the way through their big turbo/MRX setup on my ST. I will miss it, and after some dialed in E30 tuning it was actually faster than the RS by a bit(~400hp/400tq). I'll see if I can change that, but honestly most of that power wasn't usable realistically.

I'm really happy with the purchase, I think I got a good deal on it. The RS is much more buttoned up and refined than the ST. A lot of the work that went into the ST comes pretty much stock on the RS. So I'm very happy with the starting point. I may look into minor tune adjustments (torque seems lacking). It does seem to be a little flat in response but it's certainly sufficient for daily driving!

Modifications
Mountune shift knob (carry over from my ST)
Mountune Uprated BPV
Mountune Full Intake
Mountune Intercooler
Mountune V2 Air Filter
Mountune Sport Springs w/ Ford Front Revised Shocks
Mountune Turbosmart Actuator
Mountune V2X Exhaust
Mountune Quick Shift, Bushings, and Shift Boot
Ford Performance Drift Stick
Redline Tuning Hood Struts
20% Ceramic Window Tint
MUTEKI SR35 Lug/Lock
Cobb Accessport
NGK Spark Plugs
Raceseng Tow Hook w/ GoPro Mount
Raceseng Reverse Lockout
Hawk DTC-30 Pads
Goodridge Phantom Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Motul 660 Brake Fluid

Tune+ Bluetooth E85 Ethanol Sensor + App
Ventus Veloce Carbon Fiber Hood

Day I took delivery.
IMG_5899.JPG

My Old ST Build Thread (warning, it's long!): Tarrant64's '14 PB ST2 Build Thread (check it out!)
NASA-RPM-MAY-2.JPG

Unfortunately I seem to be going backwards on this build already! Picked up a rock chip on the way home from delivery (I got it filled so it doesn't spread later).
IMG_5973.JPG

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Nice choice! Welcome!

Reactions: tarrant64

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Im excited to see this build man! I am a previous ST owner my self and now my wife has an ST as well.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
First thing, these spring blocks have got to go. I took them out day car was delivered to me. After a 20-30 miles of driving I started getting this horrible noise from the front right wheel well. Got the jack and lifted the car up to see what was going on, and a few forum searches later, all was sorted out.

IMG_5901.jpg

Another few shots of the car while it's stock. This nitrous blue is something I've appreciated in all lighting so far.

34817418_10155367871531625_190974732974161920_o.jpg

34719472_10105413880317410_3213805198736621568_o.jpg

34813383_10105413879039970_2991166820100079616_o.jpg

IMG_5993.jpg

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another easy/quick mod - removed the cable in the trunk that produces the fake engine noise. The car is crazy quiet now. I kind of like it if you just want a quiet peaceful drive.

At the same time, I miss having the noise when I get on the throttle. Pops and burbles are still noticeable though.

I may look into some kind of switch I can do to enable quick on/off from the drivers seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another week, another mod.

Happy to have RACESENG be a part of my build. In search of a tow hook came across their name on this forum so decided what the heck let’s try it out. Great product here. Happy with it.

I might have the hook painted at some point a different color. Not sure. I don’t like the idea of red for some reason, stands out. Black was too little but grey for some reason was OK. I figured I can always color it later if it need a better accent that “pops”.

Right now I’m not sure what all pops with this paint yet so figured gray was neutral.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Each to his own I guess, but I can't understand this obsession with tow hooks (people predicting a problem?)...............

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Each to his own I guess, but I can't understand this obsession with tow hooks (people predicting a problem?)...............
I track my cars - tow hooks are essential for when things don't go your way. It's not an obsession, it's an actual functional extension to the car. Sure, while it's not for everyone - it's not uncommon nor just a 'thing' people generally do.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It is a requirement on the track...
It's not required that I know of or on the tracks I've been to. You can still tow a car without an official 'hook', it's just a matter of where/how they do it then. Tow hook makes it easier for sure. I think if people track occasionally it should be something to look into if it's an easy thing to add. I bought a custom made tow strap for my ST, just never got it installed because of some drilling work I would need to do to attach it properly to the car.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Understood, on the days that i have done, they will make you take the one out of your trunk and put it on the car at inspection. Otherwise they will just put the hook anywhere they want and are not liable for the damage.
I like mine as well, has some blue hints on it which goes well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
It was explained to me as follows by my first instructor at Laguna Seca. Odds are you will go off track or experience a mechanical problem at some point if you do this regularly. The track safety teams have but one goal, get cars out of the way and out of danger ASAP. If you have a tow hook then they will use it and not damage (or further damage depending on why you need a tow in the first place) anything when they tow it. On the other hand, if you do not, they are going to attach to whatever the hell part of your vehicle is convenient and enables them the get the track back into a safe running condition as soon as possible. If it causes damage because you had no hook, such as trashing suspension components. Oh well. Much easier to have hooks in place. Cheap insurance.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
It was explained to me as follows by my first instructor at Laguna Seca. Odds are you will go off track or experience a mechanical problem at some point if you do this regularly. The track safety teams have but one goal, get cars out of the way and out of danger ASAP. If you have a tow hook then they will use it and not damage (or further damage depending on why you need a tow in the first place) anything when they tow it. On the other hand, if you do not, they are going to attach to whatever the hell part of your vehicle is convenient and enables them the get the track back into a safe running condition as soon as possible. If it causes damage because you had no hook, such as trashing suspension components. Oh well. Much easier to have hooks in place. Cheap insurance.
Absolutely, so why not just screw in the OE tow hook when you go to the track rather than have some aftermarket one flapping around on the front of your car for the other 95% that you're not at the track?

Reactions: Fr33dive and magnus

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Absolutely, so why not just screw in the OE tow hook when you go to the track rather than have some aftermarket one flapping around on the front of your car for the other 95% that you're not at the track?
It doesn’t flap around, at least mine doesn’t.

There’s an assumption being made that this is only tracked 5% of the time. Realize for some people this car is up to 95% track time.

It’s not your thing though, I get it. You will find this is one of 100 mods you will find anywhere that either you get or don’t, it’s your thing or it’s not. I’m the same way about loud exhausts. I never see the point other than annoying yourself and others. But if you want to debate the purpose of a tow hook and why anyone would want to keep one on, that’s fine. Just do it somewhere else and not in my build thread please, thanks! . It would actually probably be an interesting thread to start new. I’m sure there are lots of different thoughts on them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 20 of 122 Posts