Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just though I'd pop something in here for you guys who intend to hit track days, auto-x, etc...

I'd read here that you lose approx 2 inches of headroom in a Focus with a moonroof. Based on that, I decided to skip the moonroof, and took it out of my build sheet that I sent to my new favorite Ford dealer. I remembered that when I'd driven an ST that it didn't seem like there was a ton of headroom, but really didn't know how bad it'd be with the brain bucket on. Since it looked like the ordering bank was a little late opening and I had the day off, I headed over to one of the ADM Hostile local dealerships this morning.

For guidance, I'm 6'3" tall and wear 34 inch inseam Levi's. So a bit more of my height is in my legs, as opposed to my torso. Anyway, I sat in a slicktop 2015 Focus ST, no moonroof. Slapped the bucket on, and I could probably slip a tortilla between the top of the helmet and the roof.

stuff-on-scouts-head-5.jpg

Without the toppings. [1] It was pretty tight. So, at least for me, the moonroof would have made track days a little cramped. I know that's not a very mathematical analysis, but thought that I'd toss it out there anyway. This won't be my primary track car, but I still want to be able to get out there and play with it.

[1] Dog included only for scale and humor.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
haha awesome pic. Makes me want to go get lunch finally.

It won't be my primary track car either but I'd expect the exact same fit as the ST. With a moonroof I can' get in one with a helmet, without I am fine, but it's still pretty close. They could change the seat some but it's unlikely.

It also won't be my primary track car so I'm not very concerned with it. But I did order no moonroof, I see no point in moonroofs though :)

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Good to know, thanks. I'm pretty much the same dimensions as you, and I didn't order the moonroof.

Nice dog, looking patient and hopeful that the tortilla ends up in his mouth.

Jim

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just an idea, but switching out to full racing buckets would probably buy you a good inch.
Have considered ordering a pair of the Euro buckets, or Recaro Sportster CS, but not sure I want to lose the side airbag. Don't give a $h!t on my side of the car, but I'd feel horrible if my passenger took one in the door. And non-matching seats doesn't look so hot in a street car. Kinda interested to see what the factory seats feel like. Sounds from the ST guys that maybe they get better after putting a few miles on them.

Also interested to see if there are any possible strategy for getting the stock seats a little lower in the car.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I would imagine without the RS2 package (motors and everything under the seat) you should be able to fabricate stubbier seat brackets if it were a necessity.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
cavercop
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing