Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best product to use to tint/smoke the tail lights on my RS? I've heard of vynl, sprays, and plasti dip. I want them to look dark, but I don't want it to dim the night time running lights, brake lights, or turn signals (at least not too much). Doug Demuro does a review on a 90's RX-7 that comes factory with the perfect smoked look yet still has bright lights; I'm trying to achieve something like that.

·
Super Moderator
16,173 Posts
Most people interested in doing that turn to:

VHT_NIGHTSHADES_3.jpg

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've used NiteShades several times with excellent results. A couple of tips: Light, even coats, go a little darker than what you'd like them to be, then wetsand with 1000-grit to get nice and smooth; final sanding will lighten them up a bit. Then apply 5-6 coats of clear, followed by more wetsanding, then compounding, and finally polishing.
Mine are light enough that it's not really noticeable until I'm right next to another ST with stock tail lights; I didn't want to go super dark with mine. I also left my turn signal/backup light section clear.
The other, less-DIY approach would be for a body shop to mix a little black in with some clear and spray them for you.

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
I have those Spec D lights. I REALLY like them. I wasn't sure if I would, but found a site with a good price and a $10 off coupon. With the price they usually sell for here, and locally, used, I thought I'd give them a try and worst case sell them and not loose to much. I ended up liking them so much I ordered a back up set.

Anyhow, code, link, and a few pictures.

"10-off-sale" coupon code saves you $10

https://www.protuninglab.com/lt-foc155gled-tm.html

Price fluctuates, sometimes $300.99 before code. Bought mine for $290.99 a couple weeks ago.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did the Night Shade thing with sanding,etc. like described above with some brighter LED bulbs. Still looks like new a year and a half later.
Tail light.jpg

·
Registered
185 Posts
I actually had a shop tint with film. They used a layer of vinyl grey, then a layer of xpel ultimate ppf on top of that.
Cost $175 and I can tear it off in the event I get hassled for it.

884F155B-F2C7-416A-ADCF-9363BE64AF5E.jpg
F93C4462-2051-42EE-A047-54913A2D55D7.jpeg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts