Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anybody has looked into or gone ahead and had the sync 3 deck replaced with something better or different. If so what did you go with and who did you have install it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm curious about this as well. I've contemplated going through Crutchfield and then doing the install myself but I think I would prob go overboard and replace all of the speakers too since they are pretty bad. My last new car came with a Pioneer system and sound worlds better than the Sony "Premium" audio our cars come with, and the pioneer didn't even have a sub!!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
It's not really a thing. Your car won't start without your head unit installed. Critical engine and chassis communications like the CANBUS are routed through it. Obviously anything is possible with enough money, but I was told in a conversation with a Ford electrical engineer that replacing the head unit with anything other than another Sync unit is not a feasible option.

Why do you want to replace it? There are worse performance bottlenecks in the system than the head unit.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not really a thing. Your car won't start without your head unit installed. Critical engine and chassis communications like the CANBUS are routed through it. Obviously anything is possible with enough money, but I was told in a conversation with a Ford electrical engineer that replacing the head unit with anything other than another Sync unit is not a feasible option.

Why do you want to replace it? There are worse performance bottlenecks in the system than the head unit.
Yeah that's what I figured looking in to it too. I had a bose system and an after market sub and stereo in my old car with more detailed settings like a high and low pass filter, and figured an upgrade like that might help tune the stereo and stock sub a little better for the RS. I like the way the sync 3 operates, just want better setting adjustments. Oh and my one other quam with synce 3 is it works really poorly with Spotify.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've figured out how to get Spotify to work most of the time. Basically you never want to have the Spotify app open(on your phone) when you get into the car. If sync3 still has issues I change the source to Bluetooth and let it connect and then switch back to Spotify. It will still screw up mid-song sometimes and requires the car or phone to be restarted, but at least it works most of the time.

·
Registered
24 Posts

Has anyone confirmed this? I have a hard time believing that if the stock head unit failed or was removed for some reason, the car wouldn't start. I understand the stock Sony unit passes a digital audio signal through, and thus interfaces with, the CANBUS, but removing a node on the canbus doesn't impact the bus itself. So what mission critical function did Ford shove into the HU?

Now, I'd believe that because the audio is routed through the Canbus, there are no speaker wires available in the dash for an AF unit to hook up to...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes it will work without the Head unit. I have done a tesla unit. You just need the original unit to be able to decode any canbus, so steering wheel control wont work

1 - 8 of 8 Posts