Ford Focus RS Forum banner

201 - 215 of 215 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
I was going to do this today but when I go to the CyanLabs site and click on the Syn3Updater link it just takes me to a page with no download links whatsoever..
This page and then on the right, that button works just fine for me (macOS Chrome and Safari)
Syn3 Updater

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yeah it works now, I got everything downloaded. Does anyone know if you absolutely need the engine running? I know our engines automatically shut off when idling for 15 minutes or so and I'm updating this with the GPS maps so it's going to take a while, really don't want to sit in my car that long..

·
Premium Member
5,428 Posts
Yeah it works now, I got everything downloaded. Does anyone know if you absolutely need the engine running? I know our engines automatically shut off when idling for 15 minutes or so and I'm updating this with the GPS maps so it's going to take a while, really don't want to sit in my car that long..

Drive it while updating

·
Registered
234 Posts
Been following this thread and looking to update to the newest version. Looks like there is no official update when i login to Ford website it says Your SYNC system (SYNC3 v2.2.16280) is up to date. I have a 2018. Shouldn’t Ford allow to update to version 3.0 or is it safe to update straight to 3.4?

·
Registered
Focus RS 2017 RS2 Nitrous Blue
353 Posts
Been following this thread and looking to update to the newest version. Looks like there is no official update when i login to Ford website it says Your SYNC system (SYNC3 v2.2.16280) is up to date. I have a 2018. Shouldn’t Ford allow to update to version 3.0 or is it safe to update straight to 3.4?
Your RS car doesn’t have sync 2.2.
Look at the Sync Info in Settings … General for the version on the car system.
Forget about what the Ford site says. It is strange that is says 2.2 as all RSs in the US came with 3.0 and if yours is 2018 it definitely has 3.0.
When you verify you have v3.0 you can go to the cyanlabs website, follow the instructions, download Syn3updater and wipe your sync system and update to latest 3.4 and other updates.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Your RS car doesn’t have sync 2.2.
Look at the Sync Info in Settings … General for the version on the car system.
Forget about what the Ford site says. It is strange that is says 2.2 as all RSs in the US came with 3.0 and if yours is 2018 it definitely has 3.0.
When you verify you have v3.0 you can go to the cyanlabs website, follow the instructions, download Syn3updater and wipe your sync system and update to latest 3.4 and other updates.
I was confused too but definitely when I look in settings it says v2.2. Will it update to 3.0 wirelessly although I doubt since Ford says 2.2 is up to date?

·
Registered
353 Posts
I was confused too but definitely when I look in settings it says v2.2. Will it update to 3.0 wirelessly although I doubt since Ford says 2.2 is up to date?
Interesting.
I guess I meant all had Sync 3 and not Sync 2.
You should try look for update via wifi and that will tell Ford servers the version you have and then in a day or two you may see an update available to v3.0.

Best ignore the Ford process. do a bit of research on updating to v3.0 - you may need to go to v2.3 and then to v3.0, I recall some saying that may be the case.
Once in to 3.0 then you can go to Cyanlabs and update to 3.4.
I think you may need to install a usb hub installed for CarPlay to work properly too - if that is of interest.

Look here

https://www.reddit.com/r/FordFocus/comments/8wvhaa

·
Registered
234 Posts
Interesting.
I guess I meant all had Sync 3 and not Sync 2.
You should try look for update via wifi and that will tell Ford servers the version you have and then in a day or two you may see an update available to v3.0.

Best ignore the Ford process. do a bit of research on updating to v3.0 - you may need to go to v2.3 and then to v3.0, I recall some saying that may be the case.
Once in to 3.0 then you can go to Cyanlabs and update to 3.4.
I think you may need to install a usb hub installed for CarPlay to work properly too - if that is of interest.

Look here

https://www.reddit.com/r/FordFocus/comments/8wvhaa
Thanks, carplay is working fine, I think all 2018 LE came with the updated modules. I’ll see if the car tells me there is an update...if not I’ll try your suggestion. Definitely weird right?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Yeah. Can’t remember if my early 2017 RS came with v2.2 and it was an easy update through Ford owners site then to v3.0. Or if it had v3.0.
Either way, if you try update over wifi it will spin for a while and fail. But it should have communicated with the Ford servers and registered your software version. Then it may take a few days for it show the update.

But now that I think of it. The update to v3.4 uses the reformatter tool that full wipes your Sync system and then repartitions it and then installs v3.4 and the other packages.
So in essence it doesn’t really matter what was on Sync before since the process wipes the whole system (for which you cannot return).
I would just try update straight to v3.4 using Cyanlabs Syn3updater

Update: searched their forum and this says it should work. So there you go…

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yeah. Can’t remember if my early 2017 RS came with v2.2 and it was an easy update through Ford owners site then to v3.0. Or if it had v3.0.
Either way, if you try update over wifi it will spin for a while and fail. But it should have communicated with the Ford servers and registered your software version. Then it may take a few days for it show the update.

But now that I think of it. The update to v3.4 uses the reformatter tool that full wipes your Sync system and then repartitions it and then installs v3.4 and the other packages.
So in essence it doesn’t really matter what was on Sync before since the process wipes the whole system (for which you cannot return).
I would just try update straight to v3.4 using Cyanlabs Syn3updater

Update: searched their forum and this says it should work. So there you go…

Awesome thanks!

·
Registered
2017 Focus RS Nitrous Blue
156 Posts
So I may have missed a step, but when I tried to enter a nav address while driving I didn't get a passenger prompt with this build. I don't have "nav in motion" turned on in that car, and it never gave me a passenger prompt, just the "use voice commands" option, which may be new.

Sync 3.4.20351 has been "found"

No info on whats changed, fixed or new.
Usual method using autoinstall.lst to update. As always, the core updates are independent of nav or non-nav.

Update: apparently it seems faster and will allow interaction with all menus in Sync 3 while driving, just prompts if you are the passenger instead

Update 2: there is also a new gracenotes file. NA 0020
Build in to your autoinstall.lst as normal

·
Registered
428 Posts
If you have a NON-Nav RS, the easiest and generally foolproof way to do this now and going forward is:
  1. Have 3 USB flash drives (2 if you are on 3.3 or above, but you will need that third one for future updates, so might as well make all 3). I had these sitting all in a drawer unused, so I dedicated them for just this going forward and labelled them. I am using cheap flash drives, you don't need anything super fancy. Having 3 separate drives will save you a ton of time and you can do this process in one sitting. I actually feel this method is WAY faster than a normal update.

USB Flash Drive #1 (at least 2GB): Downgrade to 3.3 (Needed if you are on 3.4.19274 or above already)
    USB Flash Drive #2 (at least 1GB): Reformat Tool
    USB Flash Drive #3 (at least 8GB): Current 3.4 build (20351 at time of post)

2. Create all three flash drives. Creating all three should take no more than 10 minutes total. The Downgrade and Current Build flash drives are created with Syn3-Updater: Syn3 Updater
    1. Create a Downgrade flash drive under Utilities in the Syn3 Updater tool on flash drive #1. This will format your drive to exFat and transfer the 3.3 install over automatically.
    2. Create a Reformat tool on flash drive #2 by following the instructions from step 1 under Manual Method (that's all you need for now): Manual Method - Update Ford Sync 3 to Sync 3.4 with F9 / 1.19 maps, all regions!
    3. Create a Current Build flash drive under Home in the Syn3 Updater tool on flash drive #3. This will format your drive to exFat and transfer the files needed for the current 3.4 build installation.
  3. LEAVE THE CURRENT BUILD FLASH DRIVE (8GB) IN THE COMPUTER. We need to create one more file. The Manual Update link from step 2 can also generate this file for you, though its currently creating "reformat.lst" with the incorrect "Test" file versions for 20351. This will likely be fixed in the future, but for now, I am including how to create your own version.
    1. In the root of the drive, where the "autoinstall.lst" file is located, create a new file called "reformat.lst".
      (If you are not tech savvy, and don't know to view file extensions, copy (CTRL+C) the "autoinstall.lst" file, and paste (CTRL+V) it back into the same folder. It should create an "autoinstall (1).lst" file. Rename "autoinstall (1).lst" to "reformat.lst".
    2. Open "reformat.lst" in Notepad or another text editor. (Right click, Open With, More Choices, Notepad).
    3. If you copied/pasted in Step 1, delete all the text (CTRL+A, Backspace), otherwise go to next step.
    4. Using the SyncMyRide folder and the "autoinstall.lst" file for reference if needed, add the following lines to the "reformat.lst", adjusting the file names as needed for future versions (these are the entries for 3.4.20351):

APPS=5U5T-14G381-EM_1611967752000.TAR.GZ
      VOICE=5U5T-14G391-CM_1598635923000.TAR.GZ
      GRACENOTES=4U5T-14G423-CB_1598636132000.TAR.GZ

5. Make sure that the text starts on the first line, and there are no blank lines under the last line of text in the document, save the changes, and exit.
    6. Your Current Build flash drive should have both "autoinstall.lst" and "reformat.lst" on it now. You can remove it from your computer.
  4. Go to your RS, and start it up. You want to generally leave it running during this process. Let the radio fully boot up. It shouldn't matter which USB port you use, but I prefer the one in the arm rest as it is the actual USB hub, and the one up front is just an extension coming off of it.

5. If you are on Sync3 3.3 or earlier, skip to next step. If you are on 3.4 or later, insert the 3.3 Downgrade flash drive and let it run through. This should take ~15 minutes. Once its restarted, let the radio fully boot up. You will now be on Sync3 3.3.

6. Insert the Reformat Tool flash drive. It will say installing, but LEAVE THE DRIVE IN when it says you can remove it. The radio will reboot, the radio will repartition/reformat itself. This is necessary for the 3.4 update. It should only take a couple minutes at most. Eventually a progress bar that says "Updating" with a time counter will show up. Remove the Reformat Drive at this point.

7. Insert the Current Build flash drive. As soon as you do, Updating will change to Unpacking, and the status bar will start to move. It will take about 10-12 minutes to install the current build. After its done, remove the USB drive when directed (it will be at a green screen with text), shut off the car (shut your door to speed up the process) and wait for radio to fully power off.

8. Restart the car. It will take a little longer to boot because it is technically the first boot on this version.

9. OPTIONAL, BUT RECOMMENDED: Do a master reset. Your settings are already gone anyways, its good practice to do this after an update, what's another 2 minutes at this point.

10. Check your sync version in General. You should be done!

Now that you have completed this, KEEP these 3 drives together. This will save you time in the future.

You will need the 3.3 Downgrade drive for future updates. You will need the Reformat drive to prep the APIM for correct partition size, as well as to make space for the Current Build you will be installing which can now install all at once. These two drives should never have to be changed again.

Theoretically, going forward, you would only need to update the Current Build drive and recreate the "reformat.lst" in Step 3 for any future releases.

This shouldn't take more than an hour from start to finish if you are starting from scratch and have the multiple drives, or 35-40 minutes at most if you are doing a new update on top of already doing these steps.

Happy to answer any questions. I have updated this radio probably 10 times now over the last 5 years almost. I have an early '16 build that came with Sync3 2.0 (or earlier even I think) originally as the software. I haven't even updated the USB hub for Car Play since I use Android Auto. So no reason why it shouldn't work on newer hardware. NOTE: Because I have the original USB hub, Sync 3.4 complains about it at startup. It can be cleared and doesn't affect functionality whatsoever.

The format method has definitely been the faster, reliable and most consistent method since introduced versus auto updates, which no longer work anyways for non-Nav RS on 3.4. The non-nav RS APIMs just don't have enough room to store both the installed version, and the 3.4 update files on top of that.

201 - 215 of 215 Posts