Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ll try and keep this short but I need some help guys. I have a 2016 RS, so I wanted to upgrade to Apple CarPlay as my GPS and general function of my center unit was running slow. Bought the Apple CarPlay unit, went to install, didn’t work. Figured I needed the latest version of Sync so tried to do the usb install myself several times (after reinstalling the original USB port) Car would update for about an hour and a half saying “updating system software” before just shutting off. (Pic below) At some point during these self attempts, I did a master reset and tried again. No matter what, I’d get the same “updating system software” message for about an hour before car shutdown and upon restart, I’d be at “Sync 3 Version 1.0” (pic below)
Anyway decided to let the dealer take a crack at it. Charged me 140, told me they had completed it but when I went to pick up the car, still says “Sync 3 Version 1.0”. (Techs notes below) Been back and forth trying to get them to try the update again but today different service manager (who advised me to bring it back with the original service manager) looked over my case and told me I have the latest software according to oasis, “Sync version V4 Gen 3.” (Oasis report below)
But I asked him why does my “About” still read “Sync 3 version 1.0? I didn’t really get an answer other then to bring it back with the original service manager.
I asked for a refund so I could take it to my normal dealer closer to home (who would probably have done this at no cost but because I have been working so much, decided to take it to this dealer closer to work) and as this is visit #3 of me getting early to drop the car off before work and have a coworker pick me up and then leave work midday to pick the car up before the service department closed.
The first service manager had said he’d refund me the $ if they couldn’t upgrade the software, but todays manager said I’d have to talk to the first manager to go forward with the refund.
At this point I’ll be taking the car back to have the first service manager help me as I have already paid for the service but I was wondering what people’s thoughts are and some direction as to what I can tell the service manager and point them in the right direction to resolve this issue. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Yours is a non-navi?

I updated mine 4 weekends ago and it goes up to Sync 3 software version 3.0.

that is still sync3, not 3.3....

if you want to do 3.4 on your own. you can sheck this thread:

·
Registered
88 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Best thing to do is register on owners.ford.com then type in your VIN.

Then it'll tell you you're sync will due for an upgrade. that will give upgrade it to sync 3 v3

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah man, I got the usb file from the owners.ford website. I have seen that video but I guess I was hoping to get the update direct from Ford. But I’ll go ahead and try it the link from that video. Step one is going to be to get my money back from this dealer before I update the software update in my own! Thanks!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yours is a non-navi?

I updated mine 4 weekends ago and it goes up to Sync 3 software version 3.0.

that is still sync3, not 3.3....

if you want to do 3.4 on your own. you can sheck this thread:

so question, when you go to your “settings” and then “about” in your car what software does yours say?

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
@VaderRS , It does.

On your snapshot, where is says version 1, it'll be version 3.

Map update is a separate update if you have the navi.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you! Car is at the dealer right now. Hoping they can get me to version 3 as it should be.

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Here's a photo of mine:

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
The map has also been upgraded, separate upgrade from the Sync upgrade.

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
@VaderRS , make sure the Sync and Map version is the same as above to get your monies worth.

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah man. So they told me my APIM/Sync Module is faulty! So they’re going to be replacing it under warranty :) part has to get ordered so probably look at another week at least.

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
At least you are getting it replaced under warranty rather than they say it's upgraded even though it's not and take your $$$.

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
keep track of the sync serial number of the old one so you can compare it with the new one when it comes in.

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Yeah man. So they told me my APIM/Sync Module is faulty! So they’re going to be replacing it under warranty :) part has to get ordered so probably look at another week at least.
They refunded your though right?

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
I'm guessing you did the $100+ map update? Or did you find a map update somewhere for free?
For the RS you go to: Ford - Sync3 Map Update

You type in your VIN and ESN. I did and it told me my map upgrade is free and I followed the instructions.

You can opt on them shipping you a thumb drive and that'll cost you, but if you just follow the download and upgrade guide it's free.

Another way is to upgrade your Sync with the map by following this thread:

·
Registered
44 Posts
For the RS you go to: Ford - Sync3 Map Update

You type in your VIN and ESN. I did and it told me my map upgrade is free and I followed the instructions.

You can opt on them shipping you a thumb drive and that'll cost you, but if you just follow the download and upgrade guide it's free.

Another way is to upgrade your Sync with the map by following this thread:

I checked on that site already. It gave me a choice between the download and the usb, but there was a charge for both of them. Maybe it's not free because I have a 2017.
I did check out that upgrade to 3.4, even watched reviews, but decided that I didn't really want the change. Oh well, I'll just stay with what I've got. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Is there a difference between Sync 3 v3.0 and 3.4? The ford site shows Sync 3 v3.0 is an available update for me but I already have 3.3. Really not wanting to pay $109 for an older update than I have. (Not sure why they need to charge at all really, sigh)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Is there a difference between Sync 3 v3.0 and 3.4? The ford site shows Sync 3 v3.0 is an available update for me but I already have 3.3. Really not wanting to pay $109 for an older update than I have. (Not sure why they need to charge at all really, sigh)
I’ve been on chat with Ford and they just confuse me more. They said my update is Sync3 v3.0.19025 which to me is 3 versions older than 3.3, and NOT 3.4. But they use different nomenclature on the owndeer site vs their marketing of the ‘upgrade to 3.4’ site.. ugh. So now I’m even more confused..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts