Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I love the variable dampening ability. However, the stock setup is brutal to cruise in. My ideal setup is to have the sport suspension tightness the same, but a much more loose standard, non-sport suspension. Does anyone know if that exists? I've worked a lot on engines for several years, but not really suspensions, so let me know if I'm just dreaming here.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
So, I love the variable dampening ability. However, the stock setup is brutal to cruise in. My ideal setup is to have the sport suspension tightness the same, but a much more loose standard, non-sport suspension. Does anyone know if that exists? I've worked a lot on engines for several years, but not really suspensions, so let me know if I'm just dreaming here.
The dampers operate in two modes via a current applied to the damper's valve. No current flowing means the damper is as soft as it gets, you can't make it any softer.

Its been discussed multiple times on the forum and you can find the details with some searching about how the system operates.

But no, "Normal" mode is as soft as it will ever get.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
There isn't a simple answer to your request but there are a few options that can improve the stock setup.

1) If you own a 2016 or 2017 MY then you could install the same struts that come on the 2018 (approx $200 per corner). Ford modified the original design damping....but it hasn't transformed the car too a a much more compliant ride....it helps though. Add a set of Mountune "black" springs and the car will ride and handle better...total cost approx $1100 and retains the 2 position stock controls plus it is under warranty using Ford parts.

2) Install a DSC module...plug and play, plus configurable. The unit makes a difference....but doesn't solve all of the problems of the stock setup, plus it trades off some of the great handling characteristics when pushing hard....approx cost $1200.

3) Several options for aftermarket coil over systems with electronic controls (KW DCC, Litchfield (KW parts), and Mountune (KW system), and DSC Coil overs to name the most popular) which cost btwn $2700 and $5500, or conventional manual setup conventional coil overs ( KW, MCS, AST, Fortune, .....and many others) with of a cost of $1500 to $5000+.

So there are ways to make it "better" depending on what that means to you and the $$$ you're willing to spend.

If you're looking for more of a "deep dive" into these systems, just search this forum for feedback and reviews. Don't expect a simple easy answer or we'd all be doing it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
1) If you own a 2016 or 2017 MY then you could install the same struts that come on the 2018 (approx $200 per corner). Ford modified the original design damping....but it hasn't transformed the car too a a much more compliant ride....it helps though.
There is not a lot of input from 2018 owners to gauge how helpful the new shocks are. I know someone did the upgrade and said they noticed little difference BUT they already had mountune springs. My 2018 rides very nicely, better than my 2015 WRX STI did but not as smooth as my 2016 Audi S3. My wife hated my WRX STI but she has no complaints about the 2018 RS. In fact, no passengers have ever complained about my ride. Since I have never been in a 2017, I can't compare the shocks accurately, but I'd probably guess the 2018 shocks are worth the upgrade; I have no noticeable pogo effect and the ride is nice (firm but compliant) to me.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
There is not a lot of input from 2018 owners to gauge how helpful the new shocks are. I know someone did the upgrade and said they noticed little difference BUT they already had mountune springs. My 2018 rides very nicely, better than my 2015 WRX STI did but not as smooth as my 2016 Audi S3. My wife hated my WRX STI but she has no complaints about the 2018 RS. In fact, no passengers have ever complained about my ride. Since I have never been in a 2017, I can't compare the shocks accurately, but I'd probably guess the 2018 shocks are worth the upgrade; I have no noticeable pogo effect and the ride is nice (firm but compliant) to me.
If you don't have pogoing or bouncing, then you have a better ride.

In my research it appears FoRd revised the rear shocks on 4/28/17....so they were only installed on the last 60 days of the 2017 build. Then on 11/08/17 they revised the front struts. There isn't any "hard" or documented info on the change but the springs are the same through out the RS build.....so the ride improvement is likely a damping or construction change. In any case it appears the 2018 comes with a better ride from upgraded struts.

Info I've found for the 2018 struts: front right G1 FZ18124C ( AST84866), left G1 FZ18124A (AST84867); rear G1 FZ18125B (ASH24716) left/right. Recommend verifying PNS with Ford before ordering.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Add a set of Mountune "black" springs and the car will ride and handle better...total cost approx $1100 and retains the 2 position stock controls plus it is under warranty using Ford parts
Just curious about the cost you noted for the Mountune springs, is that assuming you have them installed professionally? Cost would be cheaper DIY, since parts are ~$250. Curious because I am considering them myself :)

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Just curious about the cost you noted for the Mountune springs, is that assuming you have them installed professionally? Cost would be cheaper DIY, since parts are ~$250. Curious because I am considering them myself :)
I was assuming Diy for struts and springs (struts = ~$850, springs ~$250), total $1100 plus alignment.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have a 2018 and the normal suspension setting rides okay, I don't think it's as bad as I see people complaining about on the other models. Sport suspension, however, is unusable pretty much anywhere. I am still looking to get into the KW DDCs one day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts