3,397 LBS
Seating
MPG
26 MPG Combined
Base Price
$50,920
As Tested Price
$56,115

Reviews are more positive than I expected. It's in an awkward spot in the market- priced above the American v8 ponies but beneath the entry level 2 seater European coupes. I think it will steal some potential buyers of the F-type and Cayman and kill off the 370z. And I can't see why anyone would buy a Z4 unless they absolutely require a convertible.

I expect more powerful trims down the line, along with a manual.

Is anyone here considering this?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Not considering it but glad they got it out there. I'm also glad it is getting some praise from the reviews considering the early backlash it got. Wish it was priced a bit more competitively considering there are many options at that price point.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
That looks really similar to the BMW Z series..... Do not like the body at all, and I was a fan of the original supra. Plus no manual, no thanks.

And how does it have a 4.1 0-60 (.5 less than RS), when it has similar power/torque and weight? Or is that auto a DSG box?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
That looks really similar to the BMW Z series..... Do not like the body at all, and I was a fan of the original supra. Plus no manual, no thanks.

And how does it have a 4.1 0-60 (.5 less than RS), when it has similar power/torque and weight? Or is that auto a DSG box?
Torque converter auto

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
When the overall sentiment is "it's really not that bad!" then I don't know if you can call this a 'success'. I only believe in 1/4 to half of what Toyota says anymore, so I take their story of the new Supra with a huge grain of salt. My personal opinion is that they may have brought the name back, but they sure as hell didn't bring the car back.

·
Premium Member
2,428 Posts
Meh. The best part to see is the hatch, or lack of it. I'd be concerned, if I was interested, with all the BMW guts in it, the engine and the dash/controls/Headunit/etc. Early days. Looks well mod friendly but no interest in the bs transmission (manual or no sale) nor the lack of AWD. Just another fair weather car.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
why is this car so damn heavy? 3400 lbs for a coupe with a shorter wheelbase than BRZ? Nearly 200 lbs heavier than a 370z.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I was anticipating this a bit. Imo they partly missed the mark on exterior styling, especially the rear end and fake vents. No matter how great it is, the auto trans is another miss. I'd maybe buy a used one depending on longer term reliability and depreciation

·
5,582 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was anticipating this a bit. Imo they partly missed the mark on exterior styling, especially the rear end and fake vents. No matter how great it is, the auto trans is another miss. I'd maybe buy a used one depending on longer term reliability and depreciation
Doug's video talks about the fake vents and Toyota leaving those in for aftermarket tuners to exploit. What it really means is that they plan on opening those up in future high performance versions and wanted to save cost on bodywork.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Doug's video talks about the fake vents and Toyota leaving those in for aftermarket tuners to exploit. What it really means is that they plan on opening those up in future high performance versions and wanted to save cost on bodywork.
I wouldn't be so sure, they aren't releasing the 4 cylinder in the states and most definitely are not developing or testing the 6 any more. Doubt there will be any "high performance" versions, if anything they are currently developing and testing the 2022 or 2024 model components, if one is to be sold at all

·
Registered
201 Posts
I really like it. If it came with three pedals, I would be very tempted. Unfortunately it would have to replace the RS as my modern-reliable daily driver and... I am still loving my RS!

From Doug's review it certainly sounds like they're posturing for some iterations from the base model, I'm excited to see what they cook up. I hope they do more than they've done with their 86 editions, which have largely been the "10% stiffer springs and shocks, a unique paint color, alcantara seat centers, and a unique badge" type of thing.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I hope they do more than they've done with their 86 editions, which have largely been the "10% stiffer springs and shocks, a unique paint color, alcantara seat centers, and a unique badge" type of thing.
This is exactly what I'm expecting, unfortunately

·
Registered
738 Posts
why is this car so damn heavy? 3400 lbs for a coupe with a shorter wheelbase than BRZ? Nearly 200 lbs heavier than a 370z.
I mean, what did you expected from a BMW platform? The 2001 BMW Z3 I had weighed 3200 lbs, the same as the WRX that was parked next to it at the time.

·
5,582 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Already spotted a new Supra on the autobahn last Thursday morning....

It was loaded on a tow truck, right next to 2 police cars, who were wrecked as well. Just a good morning thought: NEED FOR SPEED, gone wrong :) :) :)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This surprises me
https://www.motor1.com/news/349614/toyota-supra-60-

0-60
3.8s
1/4 mile
12.3s

Excellent figures.
Shame that the low volume numbers means I'll never see one.
I guess they were lying about the detuned engine after all. I'm curious how these do on the dyno compared to BMW's advertised with higher hp numbers. Those are amazing numbers for the stated power.

1 - 20 of 166 Posts