Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed this short-shifter from Mountune and really like the 25% throw reduction, and the nice weighty feel. It makes for a great upgrade and takes less than an hour to install - depending on how hard it is to hammer the set-pin out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow, that is so much easier than any of the short-shifters I've installed over the years. Even the "easy" ones still require you to take apart the center console, remove a bunch of parts, work in a confined space, etc. The one I did on my Audi S4 required some unique tools, and the one I did on a C7 Vette was a pain (also requiring heat matting!). On a new Mustang, you have to drop the transmission I think :eek-new: So at least Ford made it easy to change out this part.

·
Premium Member
1,297 Posts
For those of us without an air compressor, how hard is it to remove the pin? I keep hearing it's a PITA, and I have a JBR short shifter in the mail so I just want to make sure I don't end up on day 2 of a one hour job.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Even easier, just take off the whole shifter assembly, just 4 bolts. You'll need to reapply sealant when reinstalling but beats having to whack at that pin for hours. Heck, you might even fix the shift arm leaking like I did .

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
For those of us without an air compressor, how hard is it to remove the pin? I keep hearing it's a PITA, and I have a JBR short shifter in the mail so I just want to make sure I don't end up on day 2 of a one hour job.
I have the same one... still in the box. Planning to do that when i do my intake, shifter bushing and shifter bracket bushing.

·
Registered
252 Posts
IDK, maybe I am too weak, lol. That video made it look way easier than it was for me. Definitely use the oil. My hammer and mini sledge just seemed to not budge it at all.

I do love the Mountune shifter with shifter bushings, feels like my 7mm Browning A-Bolt now.

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
i got the pin out no problem. i used an engineer's hammer and one of the bolts provided from JBR. i literally just followed his instructions. it was not that difficult.

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
i got the pin out no problem. i used an engineer's hammer and one of the bolts provided from JBR. i literally just followed his instructions. it was not that difficult.
I was about to break out Mjolnir and go Asgardian on the pin's @$$

1 - 12 of 12 Posts