Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys (and maybe some ladies),

So the Canadian RS comes in only one spec, and it includes a sunroof. Damn.

Besides adding weight to the highest point in the car, sunroofs normally reduce headroom by 50mm or so. Not a big deal unless you're wearing a helmet, which I always use at the track. Has anybody got an ST with a sunroof which is used at the track? If so, can you get your helmet on without raking the seat way back? I'm normal size - about 5'11". I already ordered my RS, will I need to buy fixed bucket seats as well?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Two 5'11" people can have completely different experiences with headroom. Depends on if you have longer legs or torso. Take your helmet to a dealership that has an ST with a sunroof and find out if you fit ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm 6'-4 and have an ST with sunroof now, which does decrease headroom enough that I am ordering the RS without one. I have to scrunch down and lean back to wear my helmet. I almost hit without the helmet. Definitely was a poor decision to have the sunroof, but when I ordered it I hadn't ever autocrossed before, or owned a helmet, so it wasn't a real consideration.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yes, you're quite right '86. I seem to have a longish torso, and I like to sit pretty upright, so I tend to have these problems more than most. The lack of headroom actually stopped me buying a z/28. I'm committed to the RS though. If I need extra room for my helmet, I'm going to put bucket seats in it, and fix them to the floor. I'm more exited about this car than any I can remember!

Fwiw, I'm tracking a BRZ right now and fit just fine. I can just get my hand between the helmet and roof, maybe 20mm clearance.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm 6'-4 and have an ST with sunroof now, which does decrease headroom enough that I am ordering the RS without one. I have to scrunch down and lean back to wear my helmet. I almost hit without the helmet. Definitely was a poor decision to have the sunroof, but when I ordered it I hadn't ever autocrossed before, or owned a helmet, so it wasn't a real consideration.
I hope it works out for you. No sunroof will get you a good inch, or more. You're not alone with the sunroof mistake ... I owned an e92 m3 with a sunroof and couldn't get comfortable. It lead to the early sale of a pretty fine car!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I just went to my local Ford dealer to sit in a Titanium - electric seats; sunroof. I don't fit with a helmet. Do you think the RS seats will be lower?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam my helmet just touches the roof, but IMO it was tolerable for AutoX. I didn't really notice it while I was driving. I generally sit pretty close to the steering wheel. I have the steering wheel at the lowest setting and the top of the wheel meets my wrist.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam my helmet just touches the roof, but IMO it was tolerable for AutoX. I didn't really notice it while I was driving. I generally sit pretty close to the steering wheel. I have the steering wheel at the lowest setting and the top of the wheel meets my wrist.
Dammit I'm 6.0" w/ a 32" inseam.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
8 Participants
jpky
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing