Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody!
Long time viewer of the form and finally signed up.
I wish I had the same enthusiasm like l see with the other proud owners.
I too was in that position and still am in a way. Love to drive this car but the stress that this car has given me is now fighting to overtake the fun of ownership.
I have owned since new 2016 have 40k on car and it's a daily driver. You may ask yourself that's low k for 4 years and I'll respond by saying it's been in the shop for half of that time.
I don't drive it like I stole it and don't baby it like driving Miss Daisy. I try to the best of my ability to maintain it to last for a long time to be able to enjoy the benefits of owning such an iconic car.
STRESS: here's the latest reasons why I can't enjoy this little road rocket.
Just had the intake cam phasers replaced from engine light coming on because of miss fires. ( Oh by the way I have been telling dealership it's been running rich from day one).
You may say that sucks, but that was last week. This week more engine lights, more misfires and now they are changing timing belt. ( Fyi never launched the car and no drift mode besides being on snowy parking lot)
I should be happy when I get my car back from the shop being excited that it will be fixed, but like usual after a month or so in the shop I don't get my hopes cuz I've been there before and it's just a waiting game for when the next time I have to bring it back.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Hello everybody!
I too was in that position and still am in a way. Love to drive this car but the stress that this car has given me is now fighting to overtake the fun of ownership.
I have owned since new 2016 have 40k on car and it's a daily driver. You may ask yourself that's low k for 4 years and I'll respond by saying it's been in the shop for half of that time.
I don't drive it like I stole it and don't baby it like driving Miss Daisy. I try to the best of my ability to maintain it to last for a long time to be able to enjoy the benefits of owning such an iconic car.
Just had the intake cam phasers replaced from engine light coming on because of miss fires. ( Oh by the way I have been telling dealership it's been running rich from day one).
You may say that sucks, but that was last week. This week more engine lights, more misfires and now they are changing timing belt. ( Fyi never launched the car and no drift mode besides being on snowy parking lot)
I should be happy when I get my car back from the shop being excited that it will be fixed, but like usual after a month or so in the shop I don't get my hopes cuz I've been there before and it's just a waiting game for when the next time I have to bring it back.
Timing chain?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Hello everybody!
Timing chain if anything although I dont see how that could be an issue. There is a wrinkle in replacing the phasers in this engine that if you dont know about the correct assembly process it can lead to chain slack between the phaser sprockets and confuse some mechanics. The issue isn't the car its the dealership clowns that have worked on it. If its had the HG job done then I'm willing to bet everything you have suffered is a consequence of that process.
I've mentioned it before but modern cars are not designed to have serious engine work done on them. Ford and other manufacturers make zero design considerations for seriously intrusive mechanical engine work so if that type of work needs doing you need skilled people to do it and they dont exist by and large in dealer workshops.
Compounding that is the profit imperative thats puts making a dollar above everything else. Combine the two and there in lies the issue. Low skilled mechanics trying to do it as fast as possible.....a recipe for an endless ownership disaster.
My advice to anyone these days that buys a new car and has a serious one off mechanical issue thats going to require significant engine disassembly is to take the financial hit and ditch it and buy a new one, even if its still under warranty. Sounds drastic but in the long run its less stressful.

Ciao

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Timing chain if anything although I dont see how that could be an issue. There is a wrinkle in replacing the phasers in this engine that if you dont know about the correct assembly process it can lead to chain slack between the phaser sprockets and confuse some mechanics. The issue isn't the car its the dealership clowns that have worked on it. If its had the HG job done then I'm willing to bet everything you have suffered is a consequence of that process.
I've mentioned it before but modern cars are not designed to have serious engine work done on them. Ford and other manufacturers make zero design considerations for seriously intrusive mechanical engine work so if that type of work needs doing you need skilled people to do it and they dont exist by and large in dealer workshops.
Compounding that is the profit imperative thats puts making a dollar above everything else. Combine the two and there in lies the issue. Low skilled mechanics trying to do it as fast as possible.....a recipe for an endless ownership disaster.
My advice to anyone these days that buys a new car and has a serious one off mechanical issue thats going to require significant engine disassembly is to take the financial hit and ditch it and buy a new one, even if its still under warranty. Sounds drastic but in the long run its less stressful.

Ciao
^this
You need a dealer mod, it's not the car's fault. See if Ford Service can find a dealer that has more experience with these cars, and let them sort it out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts