Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend with an M3 that swears the PS Cup 2 tires are not great for normal street driving. I did a little research on TR, reading reviews and stuff, it the consensus seems to be that they "need some heat in them" before they will stick well. He says that they won't heat up until you really start some spirited street driving, and that for 9/10ths use (about as safe as you can aggressively go on normal streets), the Super Sport would be the better tire by far.

I'd like to hear from any others who have run the PS Cup 2's on the street.

Based on his feedback, I switched my order back to the SS tires. When they get worn I will consider going to a set of Nitto NT05's.

I also saw that my local Auto-X would not allow the PS Cup 2's in the stock division as their wear rating is lower than 200 (the minimum) at 180.

Thoughts?

Jim

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
PSS are great tires for a daily driver. They are pretty quiet, grip extremely well, handle wet roads nicely for a performance tire, and have good tread wear. I haven't had the PS2 on a daily car, but I've driven a 991 911 on the track with them. They need some heat for sure, but then grip like crazy. However, I would be worried about driving them in any kind of inclement weather since the outside few inches of tread is almost a slick.

My thoughts: for a daily PSS all the way! Get a set of track dedicated wheels and tires if you'll be tracking it a lot.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
cup 2's are sketchy in rain. any standing water above 1/2" and you are going for a ride. I have autox'd on them before (in fwd) and wet grip wasn't that far off from hoosier A6's in standing water. no way would I want to daily on them, but Im semi old, and responsible and like to stay on the road and that sorta stuff.

read reviews, pretty low impressions of the cup 2 in anything but warm dry weather.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
CUP tires are r-comps. Don't get them for street driving unless you have a large tire budget and are mindful of bad weather. Ill be tracking the car and I'm not getting them since I don't feel like buying another set if wheels and street tires the day I get the car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts