Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you replace the front struts, the electronically adjustment control gives an error code. I know that KW offers devices that stop the error codes, but I'm wondering if there's a way to do that without that $350 purchase. I have an electronics background and was hoping someone might know exactly what I'd need to do to stop the codes. If it's something as simple as a few resistors and capacitors, that'd be all I'd need to know to make my own for a few bucks.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
The resistance of the coils are about 3ohms and power is 500mA when in track mode. You could give it a shot...

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
I'm a lazy cheap @$$, so I just make sure I hit that damper switch right after switching to track mode lol

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I'm a lazy cheap @$$, so I just make sure I hit that damper switch right after switching to track mode lol
I don't know if a man that owns two full sets of legit coilovers can be considered "cheap" 😂

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Now that you mention it, this is also the man with two hoods and two sets of braids. What else he got two of?
Right?! And people thought I was ballin' out with two sets of Volk wheels. Haha!

·
Registered
242 Posts
The resistance of the coils are about 3ohms and power is 500mA when in track mode. You could give it a shot...
I thought 800mA, that number popped up during a doscussion about the DSC controller somewhere?

Anyway, just a resistor indeed but the expensive KW ones are pretty big.

I think the hardest(?) will be so source the correct connectors.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
I don't know if a man that owns two full sets of legit coilovers can be considered "cheap" 😂
Now that you mention it, this is also the man with two hoods and two sets of braids. What else he got two of?
Now now, settle down, in my defense, I only have one set of braids...the other set are OZ's lol.

What can I say, I like having spares. Just a guy who makes terrible life choices...

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I thought 800mA, that number popped up during a doscussion about the DSC controller somewhere?

Anyway, just a resistor indeed but the expensive KW ones are pretty big.

I think the hardest(?) will be so source the correct connectors.
The answer was somewhere in the middle. From the service manual:

"In sport mode, a PWM push current of approximately 1.6 amps is applied to the valve solenoid at a 50% duty cycle for 0.5 second and then a hold current of approximately 0.6 amps is applied to the valve solenoid at a 50% duty cycle."

For the resistors, grab something like this:

You're still on the hook for connectors though.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I paid for the KW adapters. Pricy but they do the job.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I won't have my new struts for 6-7 weeks. I'll update this post if I go the home-made way. $10 for 4 resistors is better than $350. I'll run some tests first, maybe put an oscilloscope on it to test the PMW signal. As for the connectors, if I just need to close the circuit with a resistor, I can just splice into the wire and cover with liquid electrical "tape" if I can't find a compatible connector.

Reactions: BigFatFlip

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
I won't have my new struts for 6-7 weeks. I'll update this post if I go the home-made way. $10 for 4 resistors is better than $350. I'll run some tests first, maybe put an oscilloscope on it to test the PMW signal. As for the connectors, if I just need to close the circuit with a resistor, I can just splice into the wire and cover with liquid electrical "tape" if I can't find a compatible connector.
Contrary to my original comment, I'd be very much interested in what you come up with. Please so post an update.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Why go through the effort at all? You will never use the sport suspension mode if you change to non variable struts. You can still change to track mode, then just change the suspension back to normal and won't get any errors. That's what I did when I had my FA 500's installed and never had an issue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts