Ford Focus RS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
I’ve just finished the HG recall.
We couldn’t really check the turbine as it wasn’t really accessible.
We’ve just check the little oil filter on the turbo, no problem.
Almost all hoses have been dismantled an checked, no problem.
I was secretly hoping that after reassembly, with new oil and coolant, this whistle would have disappeared, but it’s still here...
The only thing I have to check is my Mountune intercooler, maybe a leak at the cores but I don’t think, given the kind of noise...

With my stage 2 tune, I have 25psi boost peaks, I think it’s acceptable for the stock turbo, but not sure.

Please what would be the parameters to monitor for detecting a little air leak in the charge circuit with the Accessport?
that's a really good question for your tuner. They can easily check your logs and see if there is a boost leak. which parameter.... unsure! let us know what you find out

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
that's a really good question for your tuner. They can easily check your logs and see if there is a boost leak. which parameter.... unsure! let us know what you find out
How would they know there is a leak other than not reaching expected boost, which it sounds like it is.
@FrenchJulien Check the connections on the intercooler. I had one not tightened enough so there was a tiny pinhole leak, which made a loud whistle at anything over ~5-7psi of boost.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I’ve had a similar noise on mine for as long as I can remember. It’s not as loud as the video because I have no mic underhood. Part of me just thinks it’s how the car sounds while spooling. Almost a soft supercharger whine.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Piggy backing on this thread for similar sound issue. Mine sounds like when a balloon is blown up, squeezing the end to let air "wheeze" out. From around 2.5-3.5k RPMs then seems to dissipate away. Not noticeable in the higher RPM range.

Reactions: awdmariokart

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Yes,
I’ve checked everything during and after the HG recall, all hoses and intercooler cores, didn’t find anything.
Still the same noise above 1.6bar until 1.9bar max boost pressure. (On Accessport)
Everything’s stable and works fine, even today on first trackday of the year and since whistle appeared.
Outside temp 70F
Oil temp 244F max
So I’ve no idea, I continue to use it as usual and I’ll see...
My tuner TUNE+ refuses to give me even his opinion related to his experience with this turbo, so I gave up asking him help.
You can hear it on today’s video:
https://youtu.be/VW59aySMySA

·
Registered
35 Posts
Okay, so I was able to rid my car of this sound. Went through a whole storm of rechecking pipes, changing vacuum lines, smoke test, you name it. We tried just about everything going down the check list. The solution seemed to be 1 of two things. We changed the line that goes onto the WGA with a new line. Also, the coupler going to the intercooler (passenger side), was something we adjusted. On original install, this coupler was a bit long and the pipe was sleeved far into it. We adjusted the clamp so that it was at the end of the pipe inside the coupler as far as we could comfortably.
When we took the car out to check it one last time, the noise was gone. My assumption is that the air that was passing through the piping + coupler was resonating the sound.
Quite hard to describe through typing exactly where and what I mean, but I hope this helps.

Reactions: Paolo

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Okay, so I was able to rid my car of this sound. Went through a whole storm of rechecking pipes, changing vacuum lines, smoke test, you name it. We tried just about everything going down the check list. The solution seemed to be 1 of two things. We changed the line that goes onto the WGA with a new line. Also, the coupler going to the intercooler (passenger side), was something we adjusted. On original install, this coupler was a bit long and the pipe was sleeved far into it. We adjusted the clamp so that it was at the end of the pipe inside the coupler as far as we could comfortably.
When we took the car out to check it one last time, the noise was gone. My assumption is that the air that was passing through the piping + coupler was resonating the sound.
Quite hard to describe through typing exactly where and what I mean, but I hope this helps.
It was most likely the IC connection. That's where I experienced my pinhole leak when it wasn't tightened enough. Same side as yours as well.

Reactions: John_82RS

·
Registered
520 Posts
Definitely have this sound. I like to call it a squeal. it's unsettling, but all parameters seem to be in check on my data logs. I'll run through the IC connections. Just so I understand, you guys had these issues with the stock IC?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
From MOUNTUNE (uk):
Intercooler
Hoses, hard pipe and big intake
Recirc valve
SSC
V3 Catback on stock cat

Ran this config more than one year before this whistle appeared.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Definitely have this sound. I like to call it a squeal. it's unsettling, but all parameters seem to be in check on my data logs. I'll run through the IC connections. Just so I understand, you guys had these issues with the stock IC?
No it was an aftermarket IC and pipes.

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
I have the opposite issue. I installed Cobb SSC and it did a great job of neutralizing all intake noise, even some of the spool noise.

I think I might take it out next time I'm turning wrench on my car.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm running ETS Pipes. I would absolutely just go over the connections and check seating. Trust me, I feel your pain when going through it allllll over again, but you'll feel super at ease once its gone.

·
Registered
520 Posts
i have stock IC piping. the whistle/squeal is only while the turbo is spooling up, not when holding at max boost. does this fact rule out bad bearings? my tuner said i'm simply hearing the turbo spooling at partial throttle, but it's definitely sounding like a leak/bad bearings.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I had a similar issue in my 02' wrx. Turned out it was the downpipe. Dealer swapped turbos and it was still there. Only after installing a full turbo back exhaust did it go away...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Piggy backing on this thread for similar sound issue. Mine sounds like when a balloon is blown up, squeezing the end to let air "wheeze" out. From around 2.5-3.5k RPMs then seems to dissipate away. Not noticeable in the higher RPM range.
Any updates on this?

·
Registered
877 Posts
My fondest memories are with a 2006 Focus. It was a 2.0 diesel engine built like a tank.
It had an old school Turbo and on WOT it would whistle in such a melodic way.
I remember one time we went for a test drive with the mechanic because we had a clank sound.
With every WOT we could hear this nice whistle and the mechanic said, I can reduce that sound if you want.
My father and I said 'hell no'.

I expected the same from my RS when I changed the cold air intake. Heck i did not install the SSC and there is a bit of a whistle but not enough for me to travel down memory lane.
Turbo whistling is cool! I wish mine would sound louder!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
For the aftermarket intercooler, did you put back the plastic and rubber shroud on the outside of it? Mishimoto comes with its own. I'm going to put mine back on and see if that makes a difference
I believe there are 2 sets on either side. I was only able to fit 1 of them back on, so the end tanks of the IC are visible.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts