Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi from France!

I own a ‘16 focus RS I bought new, 27000kms now.
Running a stage2 map, with FMIC, charge pipes, catback exhaust.
Everything works fine, but I have a beginning of whisteling noise since a few weeks...
I put the gopro under the hood to record exactly how it sounds:

Has anybody ever experienced this kind of noise please?
I’m wondering about my turbo’s lifetime...

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Does it happen at idle or only when moving? What is your oil level at? Are you making normal boost levels? Any codes? I think we need a little more info. Doesn't sound good though.

edit: how many Kms since the head gasket?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This noise appears only at significant charge, minimum 80% pedal.
Not any sound at idle and when cruising or middle charge.
Oil level is ok, 4000kms old.
I just made a datalog to check, it looks good, maximum 23.8psi.
No default codes at all.

The thing is I never made the HG recall yet.
The reason is I never had any symptom of failure... until a few months when I detected coolant is slowly lowering in the tank.
But no other symptom like smoke or misfires etc...

So, even if I had a beginning of HG failure, how could it interact with the turbo?
I don’t really know.

·
5,629 Posts
Check for an air leak in your intake, but something sounds cactus with turbines in twin scroll. Maybe something went into the turbo?

·
Registered
121 Posts
This noise appears only at significant charge, minimum 80% pedal.
Not any sound at idle and when cruising or middle charge.
Oil level is ok, 4000kms old.
I just made a datalog to check, it looks good, maximum 23.8psi.
No default codes at all.

The thing is I never made the HG recall yet.
The reason is I never had any symptom of failure... until a few months when I detected coolant is slowly lowering in the tank.
But no other symptom like smoke or misfires etc...

So, even if I had a beginning of HG failure, how could it interact with the turbo?
I don’t really know.
You need to get the car in. You still have a few days left to at least book it with the dealer before the 31st and your SOL.

No engine should be burning coolant. Period. Worry about the HG first, the whistle later.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Sounds like an air leak, check all the hose clamps at the charge pipe connections. If it is a leak you should swap for better hose clamps than the ones that came with your kit.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Take it in for the HG fix and have them take a look at it. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your answers.
(Sorry for my english)

I don’t really think of an air leak because I often lift the car to check all the engine bay and already had a look at the full hot charge side.
But it’s still possible, I’m going to check again.

I rather think to a beginning of failure of the turbo’s ball bearings, but just an idea.
Is it possible that oil would be contaminated with coolant in order to damaging the turbo’s bearings?

And yes I’m going to make the HG recall ASAP.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Odd, it kind of sounds like the video below (from this thread). The culprit was a loose wastegate hose. But the poster datalogged a run and hit 30 psig. Looks like your boost pressure is in check. Doesn't sound like the sound suppression chamber whistle.

Reactions: nicklulu

·
Premium Member
4,523 Posts
I think 6 mos ago a member posted the same thing, it was a loose WG hose.

SSC whistle would be constant.

·
Registered
640 Posts
WGA or recirc valve lines are leaking.

·
Registered
520 Posts
any update on this?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not yet, waiting parts available for the HG recall in a few days.
Using it daily, no any problem except this whistle at full charge.
Checked pipes and valves circuit, seems not coming from an air leak.
I’ll let you know as soon as I do the disasembly.
Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Odd, it kind of sounds like the video below (from this thread). The culprit was a loose wastegate hose. But the poster datalogged a run and hit 30 psig. Looks like your boost pressure is in check. Doesn't sound like the sound suppression chamber whistle.

Hank, that sound doesn’t seem to change with the turbo rpm. OP, I would have to agree, sounds like a fried bearing. I would also check that everything is right from the head to the turbo, and from the turbo to the exhaust. You can also take off the intake tube and check for play in the compressor. If it is the bearing, you could probably get a new CHRA if your goal is cheap. If not, maybe the universe is telling you to get a big turbo.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts

I believe Hank if you have a leaking wastegate hose you wont lose boost, in fact you loose the ability to control maximum boost.

Ciao

·
Registered
285 Posts
I am having a faint whine on 4th gear on throttle as well, almost sounds like a very quiet supercharger. I couldn’t get it to make the same sound on lower gears but seems to happen above 70km/h. I haven’t tested it much further but I am not sure if mine is also boost related or tyre noise / bearing noise. This started after a track day which went well and didn’t drive the car too hard. Not past 6000rpm and done about 15 min x 4 runs. The boost is holding well and I have booked the car in for service. The gearbox oil was changed just before the track day with Motul DCTF.

Need to make sure that no loose pipes / boost hoses / and leaks... my car did have the oil line replaced and PTU leak fixed within last 3000km. Coolant / engine oil levels are perfect.

Normal driving I don’t hear noise but only when higher up but seems to be mainly 4th gear isolated for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I’ve just finished the HG recall.
We couldn’t really check the turbine as it wasn’t really accessible.
We’ve just check the little oil filter on the turbo, no problem.
Almost all hoses have been dismantled an checked, no problem.
I was secretly hoping that after reassembly, with new oil and coolant, this whistle would have disappeared, but it’s still here...
The only thing I have to check is my Mountune intercooler, maybe a leak at the cores but I don’t think, given the kind of noise...

With my stage 2 tune, I have 25psi boost peaks, I think it’s acceptable for the stock turbo, but not sure.

Please what would be the parameters to monitor for detecting a little air leak in the charge circuit with the Accessport?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts