Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at just under 42000 miles - I'd like to know what the expected duration of the stock pads are. No tracking, but I drive fast. The vast majority of the miles are long highway slogs. Thank for your input.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'd like to know as well, last oil change @ 62,000 miles tech said I need new pads soon. Sounds like we have similar driving styles.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I also don't track my car but most of my drives are not long-haul freeway driving and just had the rears replaced at 22K and was told that the fronts are nearing their life also.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
It's really hard to estimate since it depends from driver to driver/case to case. In the OP's case, since they mostly do long highway drives, you can really make the pads last for quite a while since you are doing very minimal braking (even if you're "driving fast" you only really have just that one or two major hard braking event when getting of the freeway or a panic brake every once in a while). The best thing is to just inspect your brake pad thickness every once in a while (I do it when I change my oil since I also rotate my tires at that time). You can then plot the thickness with your accumulated miles and have a good idea as to when you'll need new ones.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I agree with Big. IMHO anything 3mm or less, they should be replaced. Not sure what stock RS rotors cost, but i really wouldn't recommend machining them on a performance car, especially if you "drive fast". Most rotors are manufactured just outside of minimum machining spec anyway so this may be a good opportunity to upgrade as well. Good luck OP!

·
Registered
396 Posts
This question is largely based on your driving style and where you're driving.

My rotors were warped before my pads were done. Ended up replacing all of them (including hardware) at 34k miles.
You can get the whole OEM setup for 400-500 shipped from any of the online Ford parts dealers.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. Well - I'm taking it in this week. I'll report back and let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just replaced all rotors and pads @44K. Mostly daily driving with some occasional spirited corner carving. Picked up a complete set of StopTech slotted rotors and pads for $500.00. Rear pads were more worn than the front. Rotors were worn with a little lip. Probably could have gone another 10K or so.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well - mine were in surprisingly good shape - I probably couldv'e kept the OEM pads but went ahead and had them changed out.

·
Premium Member
3,366 Posts
First brakes pad set replaced at 31-32k miles as PM before they were done so they would last the next season, but lots of Auto-x and very spirited drives in the mountains. I'm at over 65k now and expect them to last to about 70k. I've not Auto-x as much and added a couple time trial events last year. But I have all the parts to do the brakes on hand so I'm running them until they NEED it.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
My daily drive is about 17 miles, 10 of that highway. I typically get about 60-70k if I don't track a car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts