Ford Focus RS Forum banner

StevenP's build. FW / RS2 / Moonroof

22K views 93 replies 30 participants last post by  DeltaT 
#1 · (Edited)
Welcome to my RS' journey.

Layout for the build thread:
First post will be a mod list and a few random pictures for a sort of timeline/progression of the build.
Second post will be updated as the build continues with a brief glimpse of all the cosmetic, maintenance, and electronic mods.
Third post will be updated as the build continues with a brief glimpse of all the power, drivetrain, brake, suspension mods.

Installed:
COBB Accessport
Tune+ 91 Octane Map (in revision)
Mountune High Flow Induction Kit
Mountune Quick Shift
Muteki SR48 Open End Lock Set (Black)
Redline tuning quickLIFT PLUS hood struts
RokBlokz Mudflaps (Black on Black)
Custom Lathewerks Shift Knob (VIP Elite w/ options)
Tint (20% All)
Vinyl Roof Wrap (Gloss Black)
Craven Speed Antenna (Stubby Jr w/ RS Engraving)
Boomba Dipstick (Aluminum)
Boomba Oil Cap (Aluminum)
Boomba Brake Fluid Cap (Aluminum)
Boomba Coolant Cap (Aluminum)
Boomba Hood Latch (Aluminum)
Fumoto SX107 Oil Drain Valve
DMB Inlays (Spoiler, Front, Back, Air Box, Start Button)
Diode Dynamics Lighting - Everything
Pedal Spacer

Awaiting Installation:
Mountune Charge Pipe kit
Mountune Sound Suppressor
Mountune Rear Motor Mount
Boomba Transmission Bracket Bushing Kit
Torque Solution Shifter Base Bushing Kit
Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Turbosmart Kompact Shortie Dual Port BOV
Tune+ IWG
Tune+ Spark Plugs
ETS Intercooler (Black)
License Bracket

Planned:
Catless Downpipe (unsure which brand as of yet)
Catback Exhaust (unsure which brand as of yet)
Oil Catch Can (Damond Motorsports or Radium)
Powder Coating
Opti-Coat PRO +
Big 3 Wiring Upgrade
Raceseng Front License Plate Mount
Valentine 1 Radar Detector
Front/Rear Dash Cams
Additional Wheel Sets for Winter/Hooning

Thinking of, but undecided on:
Mountune Stage 1 Gearbox Upgrade
Speakers/Subwoofer/Amp Upgrade

Here is a chronological look at my ordering journey:
Text Font Screenshot

TOOK DELIVERY 7/22/2016!!
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Vehicle door Automotive design

My plate:
Text Font Banner

8/18/2016
Clay'd and Waxed, Jello Arms!
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Rim Automotive design

9/8/2016
Mini-Meet with @VapeDynamis and @DeltaT
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mid-size car Hatchback

See less See more
#4 ·
That's a hell of a list to start :) My worry is that Mountune will come out with a Stage 3 (Phase 3?) gearbox uprated to 600hp for maybe $1K more. Are you planning to do much of this work yourself?

Jim

Reactions: StevenP
#5 ·
Thanks J :) Definitely holding off on any gearbox upgrades until they are guinea pig'd (future thanks to whomever that may be!). As far as doing the work myself I am torn; I love wrenching and have no concerns on doing it all myself, however, if the warranty is only held intact by having a shop do it then I'll likely go that route (may try and find a loophole here, ASA certified friend to sign off on the work or something like that). If it absolutely has to be done at a shop I'm thinking of taking a trip, perhaps in caravan style with other northern californian RS owners, down to mountune to have them do it. Need to get down to SoCal anyways to see some old friends, and its a beautiful trip down the coast as well, wouldn't be a bad way to take care of things :)

#9 · (Edited)
So I'm driving down the 101 South just outside SF and I see this stunning white car in my rear-view mirror. With muscle memory, I immediately double take and low and behold there's a beautiful white RS two lanes to my left.

I check the emblem and it's white :) and the dude inside is giving me a huge thumbs up. I return the thumbs up generously :) As this is the first RS I've seen other than my own and I know it belongs to none other than @StephenP.

Man, that RS looked so planted over Oyster Point BLVD exit (a giant elevated hairpin)

Really good meeting you this morning, it was a great way to start the day. Shooting the breeze for 30 minutes outside my work about our beautiful cars :) Funny, I forgot to take a picture but I think you might have.

#12 ·
MAN, how cool was that!? Randomly spot my first wild RS days after picking mine up, and it happens to be a forum friend, serendipitous to the max! Super great to meet ya man, look forward to hanging out with ya (and hopefully some other local members too!) again when we have time to go for a real drive. My minds eye can still see that blue morphing into different colors as it passes through variances of light, beautiful car man :) And never have I seen Oyster Point BLVD exit look so menacing lol, thats a pretty epic picture you linked haha. Menacing or not, we killed it ;)

Car needs tint, I am not a big fan of tint. My 89 GT still does not have tint, however I had my RS tinted to 35% and the car looks amazing. It's not a daily driver heck I've owned blue eyes close to a month and only have 160 miles. You may want to consider if it's your daily driver.

Would like to know what type of HP gains once you install all those goodies. I am contemplating should I even start. Once you buy one performance part it does not stop. I had this happen to me in 89 when I picked up my GT. Triple white and a virgin. It all started the day I drove over to english town raceway park in NJ. The car ran a 15.2 stock. That was considered descent for those days. I started adding parts t make her faster. Her cherry was broken and I could not stop buying parts. It all ended when I broke into the 13's, the safety rules at the track required a roll bar. I took one look at the car and made a decision no more. I was like a kid who got laid for the first time. Just kept on wanting more (pu&&y) power. This was all in a years time with the end result is I still have parts that I never mounted sitting in the garage. I am so tempted to start the whole process again with the RS. It will be like the good old days.
Ha! I feel ya on the mod bug @jggav66, I reckon I've just given in to the dark side and am enjoying the slide down that slippery slope ;) I'll be sure to keep the thread updated as parts go on and the changes they affect.

As per tints, I do think my car will look better with them, and made an appointment this morning (was on my way to the shop when I ran into @maschoff ). I am a bit undecided between 35% and 20%, the contrast between a darker tint and the white would look really good, but I'm not sure I want to give the cops a "pull me over for free" card that is so obvious, so I'm leaning towards 35%.. but we'll just have to see how I feel the morning of lol.

Holy Balls! Now that's a mod list! :) Sub'd...
Thanks @Trance :)

Gotta update it with a few other things I've picked up since, and still have some other ideas brewing. I was trying to get around to the intercooler piping and BOV/IWG today, but I simply do not have the right tools for the job, it was extremely frustrating trying to make something work with my joke of a toolbox, managed to get the hood struts, quick shift, air intake boot, and lug nuts on.. not a complete loss but I certainly found out the frustrating way that I'll be needing to upgrade my tool collection if I'm to keep wrenching on this car myself. And a lift.. oh my goodness what I wouldn't give for a lift!!!

One other mod I haven't listed up there yet, and the most important, is the almighty driver mod! Really looking forward to some track days and getting a better feel for the car and improving my skills. Today was an intense day of RS love, had a multitude of folks stop to talk to me about the car. One was a Porsche guy who had a super sweet early 90's Porsche Carrera RS! It was awesome, like two distant cousins meeting for the first time, parked side by side, sizing each other up. Also got frisky with a Golf R in Golden Gate Park and we both went our separate ways showing respect via peace signs and nods.

#10 ·
Car needs tint, I am not a big fan of tint. My 89 GT still does not have tint, however I had my RS tinted to 35% and the car looks amazing. It's not a daily driver heck I've owned blue eyes close to a month and only have 160 miles. You may want to consider if it's your daily driver.

Would like to know what type of HP gains once you install all those goodies. I am contemplating should I even start. Once you buy one performance part it does not stop. I had this happen to me in 89 when I picked up my GT. Triple white and a virgin. It all started the day I drove over to english town raceway park in NJ. The car ran a 15.2 stock. That was considered descent for those days. I started adding parts t make her faster. Her cherry was broken and I could not stop buying parts. It all ended when I broke into the 13's, the safety rules at the track required a roll bar. I took one look at the car and made a decision no more. I was like a kid who got laid for the first time. Just kept on wanting more (pu&&y) power. This was all in a years time with the end result is I still have parts that I never mounted sitting in the garage. I am so tempted to start the whole process again with the RS. It will be like the good old days.

#11 ·
Holy Balls! Now that's a mod list! :) Sub'd...

#14 ·
I second that feel on the roll pin bro! FUUUUU!

#20 ·
When is the next time you will be in the south bay? Would love to see how the mountune short shift setup feels before taking the plunge.

#22 ·
Wish I had a real camera to get some better shots, a bit rushed again but I tried to get some more pics of the Rokblokz. I have to make some minor adjustments to the rear set, they aren't sitting quite how I'd like them to, when I do that I'll take the proper time for better photos and update this post. until then, here are some placeholder pictures. (p.s. install was easy, did not remove any wheels, I did jack up the rear a bit to give some more room)

Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Automotive design Luxury vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Tire
Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Alloy wheel Wheel
Tire Automotive tire Alloy wheel Vehicle Automotive exterior
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bumper Automotive exterior

#23 ·
Next time you are heading down anywhere near the south bay, if you're up for it shoot me a PM and I'll come to wherever you are to see - I still have never seen one of these in person!

The car is looking sweet.

Jim

#27 ·
Love the build... and love the license plate!

#30 ·
Hit 1000 miles yesterday, so this morning I drove down to my local dealership and bought some oil for my cars first oil change :)
Auto part Engine Vehicle Car

I did notice a some considerable metal shavings, didn't get a very good picture but they were there
Water Sky Atmosphere Sunlight Geological phenomenon

While I was at it I installed my Fumoto SX107 Oil Drain Valve, looking forward to faster and less messy changes in the future!
Auto part Vehicle Car Family car

The Mountune hard pipe for the High Flow Induction Kit also came in last week, so I threw it in and now have the complete kit installed
Vehicle Auto part Engine Car Subcompact car

I also updated my original post with up to date mod list and a sort of directory and abridged version of the build thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.