Ford Focus RS Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
I use my Adistars :).
No peeling issue, no nail danger, oh and they work on the Sync 3 screen.
The only drawback? So much grip on the steering wheel you might tear your steering wheel off on track :p

·
5,582 Posts
Ford should recall the leather on the steering wheel and seat bolsters.

Well below par.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Same issue.... I will live with it. Pretty crap build in general. :(
I wouldn't. Leather shouldn't be doing it that fast, its poor quality. Hit the dealer up. I got mine replaced under warranty. It took a while but I kept asking.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Havent experienced that yet, but have noticed some discoloration where my hands typically rest. I had an 07 RDX a few years ago, and had spots on the drivers headrest leather that bubbled and started peeling- maybe got too hot/direct sunlight?

·
Registered
205 Posts
I was afraid this might happen someday and started wearing gloves since the second month of ownership, and since then I haven't driven barehanded. Quite disappointed that this could happen to some people so soon though; I never liked leather but thought it'd last longer than cloth or Alcantara.

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
I was afraid this might happen someday and started wearing gloves since the second month of ownership, and since then I haven't driven barehanded. Quite disappointed that this could happen to some people so soon though; I never liked leather but thought it'd last longer than cloth or Alcantara.
You literally have to wear gloves every time you drive to avoid the manifestation of an issue that shouldnt happen in the first place...you dont see anything wrong with this?

·
Registered
205 Posts
You literally have to wear gloves every time you drive to avoid the manifestation of an issue that shouldnt happen in the first place...you dont see anything wrong with this?
Oh yeah it's totally wrong I agree, Ford shouldn't have cheaped out, but they did, in many places. I'm not being sarcastic.

Rather there's something not quite right with my personality. I shouldn't have worried about this in the first place, but I did, and I took a preventitive measure. However no one should be expected to do what I did, plus I was expecting this kind of issue in 10 years maybe, definitely not so soon.

I actually quite like wearing gloves to drive now, no more sticky steering wheel from palm sweat and I never had to clean it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Is anyone else having issues with this?

I noticed it today, what I thought was somehow a glob of dirt or something turned out to be that the perforated leather is now peeling around the perforated holes. You can see the start of more spots on the upper portion of the wheel, but the main portion which is usually were the palm of hand sits has got a dime size patch missing.

For those who will pop up and tell me its the rings I wear, I'm not married, I wear no rings, nor do I wear any gloves that have a rough or abrasive surface. This is not the result of a scratch. If it was, it wouldn't be starting like it is in multiple spots.

I drove my Focus ST for 3 years and the wear and tear on that wheel was expected (the leather was a bit shinier in the high wear spots, but no signs of peeling)

I plan to let my dealer know about this when I bring it in. I use a leather cleaner about once a season, and I use some protectant once a month, the same schedule I kept with my ST.

I watched a long-term car review on an RS, posted by a guy in England. His car was about the same age as yours, with about the same mileage. His only criticism of the car was a worn spot on the steering wheel. Same place as yours. This may be some sort of flaw that these cars are developing? I'd certainly be asking Ford to make good on what appears to be a defective part. I'm certain that the steering wheel for these cars is not cheap. Please keep us posted on what happens.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
I watched a long-term car review on an RS, posted by a guy in England. His car was about the same age as yours, with about the same mileage. His only criticism of the car was a worn spot on the steering wheel. Same place as yours. This may be some sort of flaw that these cars are developing? I'd certainly be asking Ford to make good on what appears to be a defective part. I'm certain that the steering wheel for these cars is not cheap. Please keep us posted on what happens.
Surprisingly it’s quite cheap for a steering wheel:

https://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-performance-steering-wheel-kit-black-with-blue-stitching-2016-rs-style-focus-st-2015-2018/p/M3600FRS/

Was worried so I checked mine and its fine. But happy to know it can be fixed for a relatively low cost for what it is.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Surprisingly it’s quite cheap for a steering wheel:

https://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-performance-steering-wheel-kit-black-with-blue-stitching-2016-rs-style-focus-st-2015-2018/p/M3600FRS/

Was worried so I checked mine and its fine. But happy to know it can be fixed for a relatively low cost for what it is.
Wow...thanks for the update. That's a great price for a leather steering wheel; with a heating element, no less! Even though I don't put that many miles on my car, I wouldn't want to have a crappy looking steering wheel in it, at any age.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts