Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else having issues with this?

I noticed it today, what I thought was somehow a glob of dirt or something turned out to be that the perforated leather is now peeling around the perforated holes. You can see the start of more spots on the upper portion of the wheel, but the main portion which is usually were the palm of hand sits has got a dime size patch missing.

For those who will pop up and tell me its the rings I wear, I'm not married, I wear no rings, nor do I wear any gloves that have a rough or abrasive surface. This is not the result of a scratch. If it was, it wouldn't be starting like it is in multiple spots.

I drove my Focus ST for 3 years and the wear and tear on that wheel was expected (the leather was a bit shinier in the high wear spots, but no signs of peeling)

I plan to let my dealer know about this when I bring it in. I use a leather cleaner about once a season, and I use some protectant once a month, the same schedule I kept with my ST.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you use lotion on your hands?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nope, nor do I work in construction, so my hands aren't calloused either.

Like I said, 3 years and 50,000+ with the ST, and nothing but slightly shiny leather as expected.

This is 1 year, 29 days, and 19000 miles.

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
Mine did this yesterday, same spot. Delivered June 17, 2016 and just over 18,000 miles. Odd part is, that is not the area I normally hold. I planning to take it to the dealer Saturday morning and see if a warranty claim can be put in.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
That ain't right. I'm not telling you anything you don't already know Bill; but leather, unlike polymer, is not very uniform. You could have just gotten a weak piece. I'd be upset with that, and expect Ford to make it right. If it were me me, I might forget that I used any products on it.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine did this yesterday, same spot. Delivered June 17, 2016 and just over 18,000 miles. Odd part is, that is not the area I normally hold. I planning to take it to the dealer Saturday morning and see if a warranty claim can be put in.
Yeah, the wear spot isn't where my thumb or palm sits. Its actually kind of the hollow the pad at the base of my pointer finger creates.

I would expect more wear where my thumb and fingers touch.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
No lotion, no grease. I don't eat and drive even.
You may not think your hands contain no lotion, no grease... but where do you think fingerprints come from? After 40 years of selling Mercedes, I can tell you I saw a lot of messed up steering wheels. Is it affecting how the car handles or runs? You may get ford to pay for it or the may just say it's a wear issue and not covered. Looks to me as though the color's wearing off... leather doesn't come in a pallet of color's.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You may not think your hands contain no lotion, no grease... but where do you think fingerprints come from? After 40 years of selling Mercedes, I can tell you I saw a lot of messed up steering wheels. Is it affecting how the car handles or runs? You may get ford to pay for it or the may just say it's a wear issue and not covered. Looks to me as though the color's wearing off... leather doesn't come in a pallet of color's.
There is no color coming off. The surface is disintegrating around the perforations. You can see how the wear line tends to follow them.

I expect my 29yr old leather wheel in the TransAm to do this, not my barely 1year old car.

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
No lotion, no grease. I don't eat and drive even.
My hands may have some oil, but in most cases the oil from our skin, unless someone has some issue with the oil they produce being in excess, it would normal be just enough that normal use would prevent the leather from drying.

·
Registered
354 Posts
This is 1 year, 29 days, and 19000 miles.
Dang man you really drive that thing! What's your daily commute?? Also that really sucks... looks like my fake leather chair that I had for 4+ years that just started peeling and falling apart. I vowed to never own fake leather after that. Really hope my wheel doesn't start doing this.. Take it to Ford and see what they say!

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
I think there must be some sort of finish on the leather because my hands will stick to the wheel at times. I don't use lotion or wear rings.... My hands never stuck to the wheel in my ST in the 2 years I owned it. I hope they fix it for you.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Dang man you really drive that thing! What's your daily commute?? Also that really sucks... looks like my fake leather chair that I had for 4+ years that just started peeling and falling apart. I vowed to never own fake leather after that. Really hope my wheel doesn't start doing this.. Take it to Ford and see what they say!
So that's not leather?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Looks like top coat peel to me. Definitely see what your dealer thinks about it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Keep us updated! Sorry to hear that...if you don't get a warranty claim we 2017ers might have to think of some preventative measures... unfortunately.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 71 Posts