Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw that both Steeda and Boomba sell very similar short throw shifter levers:

* Steeda short throw shifter kit (bracket and lever): https://www.steeda.com/steeda-focus-st-short-throw-shifter-kit-13-15-st-555-7239
* Steeda short throw shifter lever: https://www.steeda.com/steeda-focus-st-short-throw-shifter-13-15-st-555-7241
* Boomba short throw shifter: 2016 + Ford Focus RS Short Throw Shifter - Boomba Racing, Inc.

While the standalone Steeda's short throw shifter lever is listed as for the ST, it appears to be identical to the lever included in their short shifter kit for the ST and RS, and I have reached out to Steeda to confirm compatibility.

That being said, Steeda is selling their lever for $99 while Boomba is selling theirs for $75 more, for $175.

Does anyone know whether Boomba's lever is actually better or are the two product basically equivalent?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I saw that both Steeda and Boomba sell very similar short throw shifter levers:

* Steeda short throw shifter kit (bracket and lever): https://www.steeda.com/steeda-focus-st-short-throw-shifter-kit-13-15-st-555-7239
* Steeda short throw shifter lever: https://www.steeda.com/steeda-focus-st-short-throw-shifter-13-15-st-555-7241
* Boomba short throw shifter: 2016 + Ford Focus RS Short Throw Shifter - Boomba Racing, Inc.

While the standalone Steeda's short throw shifter lever is listed as for the ST, it appears to be identical to the lever included in their short shifter kit for the ST and RS, and I have reached out to Steeda to confirm compatibility.

That being said, Steeda is selling their lever for $99 while Boomba is selling theirs for $75 more, for $175.

Does anyone know whether Boomba's lever is actually better or are the two product basically equivalent?
One thing I do know is with the Boomba shifter it comes with 3 adjustment positions but only one is useable on an RS. Bit annoying this considering it was advertised at the time of my purchase as 3 way adjustable.

Ciao

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One thing I do know is with the Boomba shifter it comes with 3 adjustment positions but only one is useable on an RS. Bit annoying this considering it was advertised at the time of my purchase as 3 way adjustable.

Ciao
Well, that's annoying. The Steeda shift lever also appears to follow the same design. Was the cable simply not able to reach the other adjustment points? Are you using the stock transmission shifter arm or an aftermarket unit?

One other difference I just found between the two products is that the Boomba shifter is made of steel whereas the Steeda unit is made of aluminum, which might explain the price difference, though it is unclear to me whether steel is necessary for this particular application.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Well, that's annoying. The Steeda shift lever also appears to follow the same design. Was the cable simply not able to reach the other adjustment points? Are you using the stock transmission shifter arm or an aftermarket unit?

One other difference I just found between the two products is that the Boomba shifter is made of steel whereas the Steeda unit is made of aluminum, which might explain the price difference, though it is unclear to me whether steel is necessary for this particular application.
Apparently the cables only fit the one position. I havent fitted mine as yet and dont have a transmission arm. Personally I woudn't even contemplate an alloy unit, steel for sure in this application for mine. Shift levers do take a bit of a hammering especially if you drag race of circuit race.

Ciao

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I would assume the steeda one will be locked to only the top position as well (Or have a warning in the guide for RS's stating that). No way they managed to get an ST shift lever working on all 3 positions, when the identical boomba one couldn't.

The extra weight of the steel will probably help as well, similar to a weighted knob. No issues with my boomba + breedt SS arm.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I would assume the steeda one will be locked to only the top position as well (Or have a warning in the guide for RS's stating that). No way they managed to get an ST shift lever working on all 3 positions, when the identical boomba one couldn't.

The extra weight of the steel will probably help as well, similar to a weighted knob. No issues with my boomba + breedt SS arm.
What hole position are you using w/Breedt arm and the oomba short shifter. If you're using most aggressive arm and shifter position how is the feel and length of throw. Do you like it?......Thinking of adding Boomba shifter to my Breedt arm.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
What hole position are you using w/Breedt arm and the oomba short shifter. If you're using most aggressive arm and shifter position how is the feel and length of throw. Do you like it?......Thinking of adding Boomba shifter to my Breedt arm.
You can only use the 20% on the boomba arm. Using 19% +15mm forward on the breedt. Tried using the 38% +15mm but 2nd/R were pretty hard to get into. That was before the cable adjustment though.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
You can only use the 20% on the boomba arm. Using 19% +15mm forward on the breedt. Tried using the 38% +15mm but 2nd/R were pretty hard to get into. That was before the cable adjustment though.
I assume that means you used the upper hole on the shifter but the most aggressive (outer) hole on the Breedt?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I assume that means you used the upper hole on the shifter but the most aggressive (outer) hole on the Breedt?
You can only use the upper on the shift lever, other 2 are capped (And steed is most likely the same). Breedt has 4 settings, 20/40 and 19/38 with shifter moved forward 15mm. I only tried the 38 first, then stayed on the 19 as that worked best and I like the 15mm forward. I do miss how short the shifts were with the breedt at 38, just hated fighting second gear. Been diving this setup for almost 5k miles now.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
You can only use the upper on the shift lever, other 2 are capped (And steed is most likely the same). Breedt has 4 settings, 20/40 and 19/38 with shifter moved forward 15mm. I only tried the 38 first, then stayed on the 19 as that worked best and I like the 15mm forward. I do miss how short the shifts were with the breedt at 38, just hated fighting second gear. Been diving this setup for almost 5k miles now.
I'm in the 40% position but not +15. This was supposed to be the best position with regards to gear selection and short throw. I'm going to try adding the Boomba short shifter with Breedt in this position. Thx.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
How was the Boomba shift lever with the Breedt @40%, I'm thinking of using the same lever with my breedt arm
I'm in the 40% position but not +15. This was supposed to be the best position with regards to gear selection and short throw. I'm going to try adding the Boomba short shifter with Breedt in this position. Thx.
Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
How was the Boomba shift lever with the Breedt @40%, I'm thinking of using the same lever with my breedt arm

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
I ended up not adding the Boomba shifter. If you are interested I will give you a good deal on my brand new Boomba shifter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts