1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
355 Posts
I installed mine last weekend. Much much better. OE spring is progressively wound, which I think leads to it feeling inconsistent to me. The Steeda spring is a straight rate spring and feels better. Just simple things like accelerating away from a traffic light seem easier to modulate.

Oh, and it takes about 3 minutes to replace the spring so if you don't like it, you can always swap right back.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Did you have any issues taking the perch apart? How did you do it? Looking at the FoST sites, a bunch of guys are breaking the perch.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
355 Posts
Zero issues. Even if you somehow managed to break the perch, you can drive the car without the spring while you wait on a new perch.

At the same time I ordered the Steeda spring for the RS, I ordered one for my Boss 302 and I did manage to break the perch for that car but it is different, much bigger, and a little trickier.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Yup yup just last week. It does take quite a bit of force to separate the plastic rod from the plunger.

I set the old unit in a vice just enough to hold the spring. Using my chingadera, I went between the coils (using the vice for leverage) and popped the plunger off. The rod is a split clip and that's how it snaps into the plunger. You could try getting some pliers down there to squeeze the split clip, but good luck. There's not much room in there.

All in all the job isn't quite as easy as it seems haha. But separating the rod from the plunger is the hardest part.

And I highly recommend getting one. You'll notice some slop (or freeplay) at the top of the stroke. The pedal will also be a tad harder to push. But it's a huge difference in driving for engagement. It's one of the most favorite things I've done so far to my car
20170622_112438.jpg 20170622_090719.jpg

·
Registered
911 Posts
It would be easier if the spring was already sold assembled so all you do is to pop in it and swap back to stock if you need it to.

Yup yup just last week. It does take quite a bit of force to separate the plastic rod from the plunger.

I set the old unit in a vice just enough to hold the spring. Using my chingadera, I went between the coils (using the vice for leverage) and popped the plunger off. The rod is a split clip and that's how it snaps into the plunger. You could try getting some pliers down there to squeeze the split clip, but good luck. There's not much room in there.

All in all the job isn't quite as easy as it seems haha. But separating the rod from the plunger is the hardest part.

And I highly recommend getting one. You'll notice some slop (or freeplay) at the top of the stroke. The pedal will also be a tad harder to push. But it's a huge difference in driving for engagement. It's one of the most favorite things I've done so far to my car

·
Registered
185 Posts
I am not too much of a fan of the vague and non-linear stock clutch pedal feel and saw that Steeda has a replacement clutch pedal spring for the RS: https://www.steeda.com/Steeda-Focus-Clutch-Spring-Assist-555-7028?recommendation

Has anyone installed this and can speak to whether it improves the clutch pedal feel and whether it is worth installing?
One of my main beefs with this car is the long inconsistent clutch pedal. Didn't know this even existed till now, but ordered one already. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One of my main beefs with this car is the long inconsistent clutch pedal. Didn't know this even existed till now, but ordered one already. :thumbsup:
I’m going to order one too. This should help improve the clutch pedal feel but unfortunately, we do not yet have a solution for shortening the clutch pedal travel yet.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Once you install this spring it will feel like the travel has shortened. This is because you pretty much wont be able to feel the slack at the top of the pedal any longer because the spring is much softer. The spring is just strong enough to push the pedal up to the stock position.

For me this new spring is forcing me to fix a bad habit of leaving my foot on the clutch pedal while driving. (Yes I know this is a very bad habit) The stock spring was so strong I could rest the ball of my foot there without pushing the pedal down at all. With this spring you can no longer do this because of how much softer the spring is.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Nice. I drove my ST with no spring for about 6 months. It made the clutch pedal feel so much better. It makes the pedal a bit heavier, but you get used to it real quick. Ended up putting the stock spring back in because I was afraid of long term issues. Glad to see someone making a replacement spring that isn't "go to home depot and get this random spring that seems to work." Hopefully this spring is weak enough that you can barely even tell it's there.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts