·
Super Moderator
15,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My question and prayers were answered at Ford Nationals:

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Funny, who ever shot that must have been standing right next to me because I have almost exactly the same footage:

·
Super Moderator
15,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Funny, who ever shot that must have been standing right next to me because I have almost exactly the same footage:

That was me that asked you about the steering wheel!

·
Super Moderator
15,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well you get the props for HD, other guy was 240p.....

Also Brembos on the front but no brembos on the back??
Here's what I saw:

Front

fors front.JPG

Rear

fors rear.PNG

Complete Side

fors.JPG
@FWD_LOL

It would appear that the Brembos are front only on this prototype.

The rears look awfully similar to the FoST rear calipers that have been powdercoated.

·
Super Moderator
15,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ahhh nice pics!! any interior pics?

Well i sure hope we get Brembos all around
I was using a iPhone 5S and the lighting was horrible for capturing the interior.

This is the one photo I was able take of the interior. Appears to have ST2 seats.

interior.JPG

The seats, center console, parking brake, and shift boot have blue stitching.

Alcantara appears to have been added to the Recaro seats and there's no 8 point seatbelt slots like on the Euro version.

Short throw shifter was installed

·
Registered
97 Posts
I was using a iPhone 5S and the lighting was horrible for capturing the interior.

This is the one photo I was able take of the interior. Appears to have ST2 seats.

View attachment 767

The seats, center console, parking brake, and shift boot have blue stitching.

Alcantara appears to have been added to the Recaro seats and there's no 8 point seatbelt slots like on the Euro version.

Short throw shifter was installed
Looks like an ST2 version or in this case RS2 lol.

Well looks like we wont get the Euro recaros after all

·
Super Moderator
15,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did speak with one of the Marketing/Engineer personnel and asked about the trim levels that will be available.

Answer I got was that there will not be as many trims levels as with the FoST.

I take that as the ST1 trim level may be gone and only ST2 and ST3 being options.

·
Super Moderator
15,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks like an ST2 version or in this case RS2 lol.

Well looks like we wont get the Euro recaros after all
It was mentioned that the US safety standards weren't met with the Euro seats since the side impact air bags aren't in them.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Here's what I saw:Snip

It would appear that the Brembos are front only on this prototype.

The rears look awfully similar to the FoST rear calipers that have been powdercoated.
from what i have read it is FWD normally, and only AWD while getting on it or in drift mode. Ford has even stated that it will deliver UP TO, and MAXIMUM.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
The fronts are Brembo. The rears are ST parts bin, but, that may change on production. I'm not sure I trust that info and the end of the day, it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
64 Posts
People overestimate how much braking the rear tires need. When in a hard braking situation, it doesn't take much to be able to lock up the rear tires, and brembos don't make a difference with the rotor dissipating heat.

Rear brembos are mostly for visual appearances and possibly brake balance, but if ford has the brake balance nailed with cheap calipers in the rear, I say good for them, saves us money. The only real disadvantage is being able to change pads out quickly at the track (with 2 and 4 pot brakes they can be changed from the top without removing the caliper bolts).

Plus the rear of the RS isn't using brakes for torque vectoring, that's all done by the rear diff. In the videos Ken Block is able to get the inside rear tire in the air, which gives you an idea of how little weight is back there when in a hard braking situation.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
People overestimate how much braking the rear tires need. When in a hard braking situation, it doesn't take much to be able to lock up the rear tires, and brembos don't make a difference with the rotor dissipating heat.

Rear brembos are mostly for visual appearances and possibly brake balance, but if ford has the brake balance nailed with cheap calipers in the rear, I say good for them, saves us money. The only real disadvantage is being able to change pads out quickly at the track (with 2 and 4 pot brakes they can be changed from the top without removing the caliper bolts).

Plus the rear of the RS isn't using brakes for torque vectoring, that's all done by the rear diff. In the videos Ken Block is able to get the inside rear tire in the air, which gives you an idea of how little weight is back there when in a hard braking situation.
Be careful with stating the caliper has no effect on heat dissipation. A larger caliper will be able to handle more heat and also contain more fluid to aid cooling. While it may not effect rotor temperature, it will effect brake fluid temperature and help resist boiling.

Everything else is spot on. Although I wouldn't say removing two bolts from the caliper to swap pads is that much more difficult but I know people see the pins and dropping in pads a huge plus. If Ford also decides to switch the rear calipers then they will have to have a new E-brake system which is an unnecessary added cost.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Be careful with stating the caliper has no effect on heat dissipation. A larger caliper will be able to handle more heat and also contain more fluid to aid cooling. While it may not effect rotor temperature, it will effect brake fluid temperature and help resist boiling.

Everything else is spot on. Although I wouldn't say removing two bolts from the caliper to swap pads is that much more difficult but I know people see the pins and dropping in pads a huge plus. If Ford also decides to switch the rear calipers then they will have to have a new E-brake system which is an unnecessary added cost.
Agreed on all points... "No effect" is probably an overstatement, but in practice I don't think brembos are not going to dissipate enough heat to make them worth the cost on what is effectively, a high performance version of a commuter car. Good call on the e-brake redesign, that didn't occur to me.... Every single interview I hear with the RS people talk about how they saved money here, and saved money here... I think the base MSRP is going to surprise a lot of people.

Even the Mustang GT has single piston sliding calipers in the rear... only the GT350 gets brembos in the back.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
About this Discussion
39 Replies
16 Participants
.Boston.
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing