Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I tried to start the RS two days ago and nothing, does not turn over, just random errors on message boards, “engine fault”, “head lamp issues”, “push start system fault”, “TPMS fault”, “drive mode fault” and I noticed all my trip, mpg, were just dotted lines. Since car is been in the garage for pass 3 months, I figured, dead/low battery, so I tried to charge it and then jumped it, but still no start, with same messages. I pulled my multimeter and pulled fuse cover in engine bay, just to be sure I checked all fuses, found no issues, I also checked battery and have about 12.5V, I moved to passenger side fuse box and no issues there too, I went as far as pulling air box and checked the fuses front of the battery, no luck... I pulled positive and left the car for about 30 min, came back and still nothing. lastly pulled my AMP and Sub from trunk and checked all fuses there too, after not finding anything wrong, I gave final try and it started without problem, I shut it off and put Sub system back, tried to started and nothing!!! I pulled the system and then reset the “ignition” fuse in trunk fuse box, car started again, I then removed the same fuse and car started again WTF?, so I put everything back in including the Sub and no more starting issues, only thing is now I have CEL on, but diagnostics say everything is good, it changes drive modes fine and drives like it should....
So what do you guys think it might be??? I have no mods, no tune, no access port, only thing I got is a exhaust valve plug from mountune...

·
Registered
216 Posts
I would fully disconnect the battery, charge it overnight and then see if the issues are still there. Even if the battery has the voltage when not loaded it might drop significantly when it gets loaded.

If the issue still happens, then you can start reading error codes from the ECU if there are any. If nothing shows up, maybe a trip to the dealer would be required.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
So I tried to start the RS two days ago and nothing, does not turn over, just random errors on message boards, “engine fault”, “head lamp issues”, “push start system fault”, “TPMS fault”, “drive mode fault” and I noticed all my trip, mpg, were just dotted lines. Since car is been in the garage for pass 3 months, I figured, dead/low battery, so I tried to charge it and then jumped it, but still no start, with same messages. I pulled my multimeter and pulled fuse cover in engine bay, just to be sure I checked all fuses, found no issues, I also checked battery and have about 12.5V, I moved to passenger side fuse box and no issues there too, I went as far as pulling air box and checked the fuses front of the battery, no luck... I pulled positive and left the car for about 30 min, came back and still nothing. lastly pulled my AMP and Sub from trunk and checked all fuses there too, after not finding anything wrong, I gave final try and it started without problem, I shut it off and put Sub system back, tried to started and nothing!!! I pulled the system and then reset the “ignition” fuse in trunk fuse box, car started again, I then removed the same fuse and car started again WTF?, so I put everything back in including the Sub and no more starting issues, only thing is now I have CEL on, but diagnostics say everything is good, it changes drive modes fine and drives like it should....
So what do you guys think it might be??? I have no mods, no tune, no access port, only thing I got is a exhaust valve plug from mountune...
How old is the battery? My wifes escape did all this sort of thing 3 months ago. Batt voltage was 12.5 but loaded dropped. I bought a new battery and put the old one on the bench and charged it overnight. Pulled good amps and showed 12.8 volts after charging. Checked it again 2 days later 10.3 volts.
What I think happens is the battery plate material sheds and collects in the bottom of the case as the battery ages and eventually shorts a cell. you pull the battery out and shaking it about stirs up this material and it recovers only to fail again after settling again. I think there is an argument these days for having a hard life limit on batteries, not "on condition" like the old days. My suggestion is 4 years max on a car without city stop start and probably 6 months less on a city stop/start car.
Your CEL "may" also be due to the battery condition monitor sensing an issue. just my guess. Try a new battery if its past 3 and ah half years old, its due anyway.

Ciao

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey
Battery is from the day one, never replaced it... I went in The garage today to test start it and no issues, I spoke with buddy of mine in the dealership, he was saying, if one of cells crapped out, it would cause it and check engine light been on is prob related to low voltage... he said not to clear codes just bring it to dealer and they will take care of it, I stopped Messing with it since, I was told my battery is under warranty... I will post update after service so maybe this will help others down the line...
also ordered battery charger/jumper for future use (hope wife will not find out LOL)
thank you all for taking time to reply 👊😀

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
If you want to know why your battery died, check this out:

Even with a 10 mile commute, my battery wasn't getting charged enough. You can monitor the charge level with Torque Pro or other OBD2 apps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts