Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've never even been in a car with this, and I've read a little bit about it in the Focus owners manual, and I know how it works, but I've got a few questions for those that have driven with it.

• Do all the accessories stay on when the engine stops?
  • If the AC is on, will the engine stop?
  • If it does stop with the AC on, does the HVAC fan turn off or stay on?
  • How long does it take for the engine to start back up? Does it cause a delay if say you're the first at a stop light and it turns green?
  • Do you like it?
  • Does it really save you much fuel? Any real life mpg comparisons?

·
Registered
317 Posts
I rented a BMW that had this. It was nearly seamless, yes you could tell when the engine was off but as soon as you touched the gas the car started right up. The AC would cycle a bit if at a longer light, but everything else stayed on...

I don't know if this will be an issue with the RS, as I don't see me not playing with the gas at stop lights and such, going have fun hearing those burbles and such!:D

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
So I've never even been in a car with this, and I've read a little bit about it in the Focus owners manual, and I know how it works, but I've got a few questions for those that have driven with it.

• Do all the accessories stay on when the engine stops? YES
  • If the AC is on, will the engine stop? YES
  • If it does stop with the AC on, does the HVAC fan turn off or stay on? I don't think RS AC has separate electric so AC stops, fan keeps on going
  • How long does it take for the engine to start back up? Push clutch in Does it cause a delay if say you're the first at a stop light and it turns green? Push clutch, push brake engine stops. Release brake, engine starts unless in gear and clutch already out. milli-second delay.
  • Do you like it? Okay on hybrid (Prius, CT200h), pretty seamless. Probably will be fairly seamless on RS
  • Does it really save you much fuel? only 1 mpg Any real life mpg comparisons? Hybrid you can't disable. RS you can disable with long-press. Not sure if you have to long press each time you start or if you can set option to keep disabled.
See answers in color above. I think they are pretty accurate.

YMMV,

MidCow3

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,595 Posts

• Do all the accessories stay on when the engine stops?
  • **yes, the traditional wiring is different from non start-stop cars. accessories remain on during start-stop

• If the AC is on, will the engine stop?
  • **ac turns off when engine shuts down but fan should keep blowing. if humidity or temp reach thresholds, start stop is abandoned and engine will restart

• If it does stop with the AC on, does the HVAC fan turn off or stay on?
  • ** see above

• How long does it take for the engine to start back up? Does it cause a delay if say you're the first at a stop light and it turns green?
  • **-engine startup is very fast (half second-ish), the starter motor in start-stop cars is much more robust than on an ordinary engine

• Do you like it?
  • -do not like it for a turbo car, but there are electric circ pumps to keep coolant moving so in theory it is safe and generally start stop engines have mounts designed to minimize engine shake at startup, so thats nice but overall its not something I am used to, I am a creature of a habit.

• Does it really save you much fuel? Any real life mpg comparisons?
  • **-real world, start-stop can save 10-15% in fuel costs depending heavily on how often you are in stop and go traffic. hot weather and use of AC are the biggest impacts on its benefit since it will kick out of start-stop when it gets too hot, ac on, putting a big draw on the battery, etc
to borrow from midcow, ymmv

·
Registered
716 Posts
Rode in a Chevy with it and really did not like it. As a passenger, I could feel it turn off at a stop light and it was not very smooth when pulling away.

I will definitely be disabling it on the RS. Not to mention I cant believe all that extra stopping and starting is good for the engine. Thats a lot of extra wear

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
I rented a BMW that had this. It was nearly seamless, yes you could tell when the engine was off but as soon as you touched the gas the car started right up. The AC would cycle a bit if at a longer light, but everything else stayed on...

I don't know if this will be an issue with the RS, as I don't see me not playing with the gas at stop lights and such, going have fun hearing those burbles and such!:D
Was the BMW and manual or automatic ?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Rode in a Chevy with it and really did not like it. As a passenger, I could feel it turn off at a stop light and it was not very smooth when pulling away.

I will definitely be disabling it on the RS. Not to mention I cant believe all that extra stopping and starting is good for the engine. Thats a lot of extra wear
besides the starter getting a workout, its not stressful for the engine.
now... we can talk for days about oil and coolant circulation, but they say wear on the engine is moot and they give us a big ass starter to help avoid burning it out.

one of the biggest complaints about the system is how noticeable it is when the engine restarts. in my parents benz, its unnoticable and virtually seamless.
being a new technology, not all companies are there yet. hope ford has it worked out, but I will always be shutting it off unless I forget.

·
Registered
716 Posts
besides the starter getting a workout, its not stressful for the engine.
now... we can talk for days about oil and coolant circulation, but they say wear on the engine is moot and they give us a big ass starter to help avoid burning it out.

one of the biggest complaints about the system is how noticeable it is when the engine restarts. in my parents benz, its unnoticable and virtually seamless.
being a new technology, not all companies are there yet. hope ford has it worked out, but I will always be shutting it off unless I forget.
I dont know, going from a designed 50,000 starts to 10 times that seems like a huge jump. Tech is too new to tell for sure though.

Stop-start ? the long-term impact on your car?s engine | Autocar

·
Registered
376 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that for the RS, this will be disabled by default. The only "neat" thing it adds for me is the ability to restart after stall without doing anything. Because sadly this will be the car that I teach my son to drive stick on.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that for the RS, this will be disabled by default. The only "neat" thing it adds for me is the ability to restart after stall without doing anything. Because sadly this will be the car that I teach my son to drive stick on.
Man your son is one lucky kid. My dad left me when I was 4...

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Be careful: I would consider another standard shift car to teach your son. The RS is too much power and will be dangerous to learn on. But if you do, I wish you and your son the best of luck.

YMMV,

MidCow3

·
Registered
520 Posts
Everything You Need to Know About the 2016 Ford Focus RS

In that article it says that dealers may be able to reprogram the system so that it stays off after each ignition. No doubt it's too early to start asking dealers, but I certainly hope that's the case. Not a fan of start-stop "technology" at all (literally the only feature I don't like about the Focus RS). Aside from the fact that you gain maybe 2 mpg in real world driving, I'm nervous about the overall extra strain on the starter/battery as well as continuing to start and stop the engine continuously and sometimes in rapid succession. Ford may claim that the components are "beefed up" for the duty, but it's just another thing that can go wrong after the warranty expires and probably requires a more expensive battery replacement.

If it can't be reprogrammed, I'll just have to make a habit of hitting that little off button after each start.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Sometimes hard to find previous threads/posts

Chrisp,

You are correct; there are a lot of duplicate threads. Some of the search tools forum could be improved; it is an effort to find previous posts/threads, etc.

Having said that, the Start/Stop thread you referred too may have some conflicting information about how start/stop actually works on a manual shift car, specifically the RS because a lot of people who drive manuals don't shift into neutral most of the time unless stop for significantly long periods of time.

YMMV,

MidCow3

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Chrisp,

You are correct; there are a lot of duplicate threads. Some of the search tools forum could be improved; it is an effort to find previous posts/threads, etc.

YMMV,

MidCow3
I haven't come across a forum yet that has better search functionality than simply searching via Google.

That's why I always recommend people search Google using site:focusrs.org whatever you're looking for

Example (click)

·
Registered
86 Posts
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
About this Discussion
41 Replies
15 Participants
Hoonigan
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing