Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EEBC9FBE-387D-4183-9E09-83A615B60A43_1559498775698.jpeg To start, the pogo killed me. Anyone with any disk issues will probably agree.

Mountune lowering springs definitely helped lessen the pogo but it was still there.

I was debating dumping the RS for something else and decided to give it one last try.

I was about two clicks away from buying the DSC / tractive system when I found a used set of ST coilovers at a reasonable price.

One thing had prevented me from getting any coilover setup, the super low rear height. Which is why I leaned toward Tractive.

I installed the full ST XTA coilover set with front and rear set to max height (max according the the instructions, but front can go higher) which left the rear lower than the front. I got an alignment and set the struts to near full soft.

Wow what a difference. The car was tolerable, almost comfortable. Is this real life?

The rear height bothered/annoyed me. So I said F it, lets see what happens when I put the Mountune springs back on the rear.

Well, it looks great and rides amazing.

I’ve done a bunch of driving on terrible roads (basically speed bumps on the highway from construction). The kind of roads that driving in the RS would’ve knocked someone’s fillings out.

I’ve also gone on a few turns that have joints in the pavement that used to really upset the RS and no longer do.

I haven’t had a chance to hit the track, but that’ll happen soon. I gave myself some extra negative camber to the front during the install. Excited to see how it feels at the track with the struts at various firmness settings.

I’ll post up some photos of the ride height in the next couple days. I’ll also post pictures of the modification I made to the front brace to allow access to the front strut adjustment including a grommet that fits in the hole.

Cheers!

EEBC9FBE-387D-4183-9E09-83A615B60A43_1559498775698.jpeg
D739C56F-33D4-4423-9777-282ED4F2B89D_1559498886455.jpeg
92F56B04-916F-4324-84A8-C3557BE7837D_1559498904296.jpeg

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
To start, the pogo killed me. Anyone with any disk issues will probably agree.

Mountune lowering springs definitely helped lessen the pogo but it was still there.

I was debating dumping the RS for something else and decided to give it one last try.

I was about two clicks away from buying the DSC / tractive system when I found a used set of ST coilovers at a reasonable price.

One thing had prevented me from getting any coilover setup, the super low rear height. Which is why I leaned toward Tractive.

I installed the full ST XTA coilover set with front and rear set to max height which left the rear lower than the front. I got an alignment and set the struts to near full soft.

Wow what a difference. The car was tolerable, almost comfortable. Is this real life?

The rear height bothered/annoyed me. So I said F it, lets see what happens when I put the Mountune springs back on the rear.

Well, it looks great and rides amazing.

I’ve done a bunch of driving on terrible roads (basically speed bumps on the highway from construction). The kind of roads that driving in the RS would’ve knocked someone’s fillings out.

I’ve also gone on a few turns that have joints in the pavement that used to really upset the RS and no longer do.

I haven’t had a chance to hit the track, but that’ll happen soon. I gave myself some extra negative camber to the front during the install. Excited to see how it feels at the track with the struts at various firmness settings.

I’ll post up some photos of the ride height in the next couple days. I’ll also post pictures of the modification I made to the front brace to allow access to the front strut adjustment including a grommet that fits in the hole.

Cheers!
Yeah it's definitely better with coils, I put on the BC Racing and am definitely happier with the stance and more importantly the ride. IMG_20190408_190135_1559440537203.jpg

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Has anyone confirmed with the manufacturers that this is not an issue? Mainly because the mountune springs are longer than the max height you can extend the rear coils, which were made to be used with their lower springs.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Neither KW nor Mountune nor Litchfield were of any help to me when I reached out to all of them regarding purchasing longer springs or even the spring rates. But keep in mind that Litchfield does sell taller rear springs for the same dampers (but only if you buy their whole DDC kit - even though the shocks are exactly the same on both kits) and, at least regarding my setup, the shocks are nowhere near full extension with the Mountune rear springs. So far I have noticed no ill-effects whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Neither KW nor Mountune nor Litchfield were of any help to me when I reached out to all of them regarding purchasing longer springs or even the spring rates. But keep in mind that Litchfield does sell taller rear springs for the same dampers (but only if you buy their whole DDC kit - even though the shocks are exactly the same on both kits) and, at least regarding my setup, the shocks are nowhere near full extension with the Mountune rear springs. So far I have noticed no ill-effects whatsoever.
Yes, but now you have preload on a linear spring. With my FA's, I installed the spring at max height, and was able to connect/bolt the spring bracket by hand. When I conntected the coilover to the rear knuckle, it basically pulled the spring right to the spot where it sat flat with no load.

If I were to install the mountune springs, I have to use a jack to force the spring bracket up to mount it. Then I'd need to jack up the whole rear suspension to be able to connect the coil (not required with stock strut length), which means it has a loaded spring trying to extend the coilover past its max. I don't suspect this to cause issues during normal driving, but would be worried about it tearing the shock apart at max extension. This is why I was asking if anyone got manufacturers input.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Its not like the Mountune springs jack the car up 4 inches compared to the basic DDC springs. It is less than 1 inch actually. I have a decent amount of experience changing suspensions on sports cars and sportbikes and at no point in time did it ever appear to me that this combination was a step too far. Even when I jack the car up, the rear wheels still drop down several more inches on their own (I have never measured the actual amount).

As for the manufacturers, of course they will probably tell you "DON'T DO IT BECAUSE YOU WILL DIE!" I hammer that car down some pretty bumpy back roads with bumpy corners thrown in with lots of cornering force and never once has it made weird noises or caused the car to do anything funky. I am as surprised as anyone that it has worked so well and all of my friends who have driven it have been surprised, too.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
@Champale I was thinking more along the lines of turning into a steep driveway at a angle, which in my case always lifts the inner rear wheel off the ground (WL rear SB at full). I'd be worried about the extra load of the mountune spring trying to pull the strut past it's max, putting unintended force on it that could cause premature wear.

I only ask as I truly am curious to hear answers/discussion from smarter/more experienced people than myself. I really don't like the shorty spring setup on most coils that wastes half of the spring space with the 'adjustment' section. Plus the rear springs on my FAs are tapered, so I believe they aren't a linear spring rate like the mountunes, which may fight with the shocks valving. Not that the stock struts/springs were a good combination in the first place.....

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe, right or wrong, the strut is within a safe range for operation.
I don’t see how spring tension (really isn’t much) at extension could cause an issue. The suspension is already designed to “at least” hold the weight of the wheel, control arm, brake, and axle assemblies.

As said the difference in overall height for the spring and perch is probably less than an inch.

But because ST XTA spring is progressive it sits a bit lower. This probably helps keep the car planted in corners.

I know the ST XTA rear struts are slightly shorter than OEM but I don’t believe I took a photo.

Added a pic of the mountune / ST XTA springs side by side. The ST also has the adjustable perch, not pictured. EB1B2689-8BB5-4260-ABD0-CDB0E631469A_1559691060136.jpeg

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hey Biznatch interesting question but I just cannot imagine that the fairly low rate of the Mountune springs (purportedly only 5-10% stiffer than OE if I recall) would somehow put such a massive downward force on the shock that it would fail. I think I understand what you are saying in terms of taking the shock out of it's optimal travel range but, realistically, even with this taller spring it is basically still riding in about the middle of it's travel. The shock does not 'top out' when cresting ridges or anything that I have noticed (I have experienced that on 4x4s in the past and it is a very noticeable sensation).

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
After seeing the pic, it makes more sense. I didn't realize the XT's used an almost regular type spring. My FA's and the other coils I've seen posted here use a spring that's like half the size of the stock one with a large perch. So even when the mount is bolted to the knuckle, the whole suspension still needs to be raised about an inch or so to start putting any load on the spring.

So this does sound interesting to me as the rear seems much more stiff than the front right now, even though rears have 5.3k springs and fronts have 7k. I may consider trying this since it takes like 30 minutes to swap the springs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
4 Participants
Biznatch
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing