Votes: 6 10.3%
  • I don't have squeaky seats

Votes: 27 46.6%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Trying to get an idea of the number of people who are experiencing seats that squeak due to contact with the center console.

It was mentioned in another thread that Ford could have avoided this by using Alcantra on the center console cover. Seems like a fairly simple fix that would still look aesthetically pleasing.

9/9/2016 - Had a service visit to Ford dealer today. The fix they tried to implement is some unsightly tape. The squeaking is still there.

·
Registered
103 Posts
If they put the suede from the seats on the sides of the console lid, it would eliminate the issue. Right now, I drive everywhere with my console lid open so I don't have to listen to the constant squeaking.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had just edited my post to included your Alcantra suggestion @ScottyMac as it's a great suggestion.

Opening the console is a simple work around too and good suggestion. I rest my elbow on the console often and would prefer having it usable.

·
Registered
2017 SG RS1
1,467 Posts
Reactions: gtg

·
Registered
103 Posts
I can't remember where i saw this, but I recall seeing a shop in the UK that offers a number of replacement items for the interior with the same factory alcantra and blue sticking....console lid, shifter boot, and I believe the steering wheel. I don't know the cost, but I would imagine it would be cheaper to jus find a local upholstery shop to see if they could do it.

I'm surprised this did not come up as an issue prior to production. You would think with all of the testing done on this car, that this issue would have popped up prior to production. Is it an issue on ST's as well?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I can't remember where i saw this, but I recall seeing a shop in the UK that offers a number of replacement items for the interior with the same factory alcantra and blue sticking....console lid, shifter boot, and I believe the steering wheel. I don't know the cost, but I would imagine it would be cheaper to jus find a local upholstery shop to see if they could do it.

I'm surprised this did not come up as an issue prior to production. You would think with all of the testing done on this car, that this issue would have popped up prior to production. Is it an issue on ST's as well?
It was an issue on my ST but not on my RS.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Si2RS thanks for the link to some other suggestions. Putting a towel over it for now is probably the easiest fix and might help with potential wear from the constant contact. Long term, I think the @FordService should come up with an appropriate fix other than some unsightly tape my dealer used (that didn't fix it).

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Not to throw shade on the topic - but in relation to the squeaks, what size are the people with squeaky seats?
I am 5'11", 205lbs.

I have 5000 miles on my car and it has gotten progressively worse. The bolsters loosen up over time which could be part of the reason it is getting worse. And/or the leather could have had less friction new and the contact is slowly cleaning it/wearing off the top layer or dressing causing more friction between the two surfaces.

·
Registered
190 Posts
My passenger seat squeaks, but only if someone is sitting in it. I'm 5'9, 145 lbs, hubby is 5'10, 180 lbs, and it squeaks no matter which of us is sitting in the seat. I haven't tried anything to fix it yet.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I'm headed out to my RS now from work. I'll have to inspect what I have vs the picture. So far 2600 miles with no squeaks, although I only weigh 160ish (depending on how much beer the night before I weigh myself) and the wifey is maybe around 135 (I really don't know).

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I thought I read in another thread that people were loosening the seat mounting hardware, shifting the seat as far away as possible, and then torquing it back down.

Reactions: Blackcossie and gtg

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I thought I read in another thread that people were loosening the seat mounting hardware, shifting the seat as far away as possible, and then torquing it back down.
This could be another explanation as to why some don't have the issue. Could be a factory variance in how the seats are aligned. I'll make this recommendation to the dealer when I let them know it is still an issue.

·
Registered
456 Posts
@ 2500 kms my squeak has just started. I agree over time the bolsters are loosing up and thus causing the issue.
If you were maybe 125lbs and fit perfectly between them you may never get this but most people are not that small.
TBH I don't really like my RS2 seats and if I decide to keep the car I will be switching them out. To me they were more PR then actual form/function. For a track day they are great. For a DD not so much.
My Explorer Sport has way better seats.
Oh and I'm 6'1 235lbs.

·
Registered
372 Posts
This ^, had unbearable squeaks from both front seats, repositioned seats and squeak is gone.

·
Premium Member
2016 RS
1,128 Posts
I have the squeak on my RS2 on the right seat, but only when someone is sitting in it. The left seat has a bit more clearance. When I did my Bracketeer fire bottle mount install, using the track bolts, not the seat rail mounting method, I also loosened the rear bolts and moved the right seat outboard as best I could. The holes in the tracks are slightly slotted. I gained a bit more clearance but still had the squeak when someone was in it.

I finally just cut a small strip of black felt material from another project and attached it to the arm rest lid edge with 3M double sided tape. Problem solved.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts